Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, first of all, this wasn't a mass shooting.
You are correct. It was however a very high profile incident that took place inside of a movie theatre. It brings people right back to the Aurora theatre shooting. Brings back all of the feelings of fear and confusion.

Quote:
And these types of incidents are still remarkably rare, when you consider how many people actually have access to guns in this country.
I would agree with this. They are still rare, but there is a definite uptick from what we have seen in the past and when they do happen they are all over the news.

Quote:
The thought that these incidents are "contrived to create fear" is simply not rational. Because they don't lead people to ask authorities for more protection which then leads to more laws and in turn, more top-down control. They are just as likely to lead to more people purchasing guns for personal protection. So any conspirator in the government organizing such incidents would have to be completely insane. Moreover, positing that Mr Reeves, a 71-year old retired LEO who also worked for Busch Gardens as a director of security, who probably has an excellent pension and retirement income, would involve himself in such a conspiracy, simply doesn't make any sense at all.
I'd also agree with the bolded. The people who would orchestrate such scenarios have to be sociopaths. But as for the rest, I disagree, we are seeing a slow and steady erosion of rights and not just gun rights. I don't know Mr Reeves personally but I see nothing in particular about Mr Reeves that would make think that he would not involve himself in something like this. Either he threw away everything in a fit of rage to really shoot someone over text messaging or he was paid handsomely to get involved in a contrived scenario where he did not have to kill anyone and he'd get to be involved in the "solution" to a real "problem". Don't many in law enforcement enter the field because they want to fight the "bad guys"? We know that law enforcement gets involved in undercover operations, right? Could this be just a slightly different type of preventative undercover operation to fight the "bad guys"? Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
It appears others have come forward stating they've had run-ins at the movies with this killer. With his attitude about cell phones and such, why does he bother to go to a public movie theatre? And why didn't his wife send him to anger management classes?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You are correct. It was however a very high profile incident that took place inside of a movie theatre. It brings people right back to the Aurora theatre shooting. Brings back all of the feelings of fear and confusion.

I would agree with this. They are still rare, but there is a definite uptick from what we have seen in the past and when they do happen they are all over the news.

I'd also agree with the bolded. The people who would orchestrate such scenarios have to be sociopaths. But as for the rest, I disagree, we are seeing a slow and steady erosion of rights and not just gun rights. I don't know Mr Reeves personally but I see nothing in particular about Mr Reeves that would make think that he would not involve himself in something like this. Either he threw away everything in a fit of rage to really shoot someone over text messaging or he was paid handsomely to get involved in a contrived scenario where he did not have to kill anyone and he'd get to be involved in the "solution" to a real "problem". Don't many in law enforcement enter the field because they want to fight the "bad guys"? We know that law enforcement gets involved in undercover operations, right? Could this be just a slightly different type of preventative undercover operation to fight the "bad guys"? Maybe.
So, in the conspiracy theory you are arguing, the texter didn't really die. So the employer, the friends, the wife, the three-year daughter, the babysitter, the man that held him as he bled out, the man's son, the 25 people in that particular theater, the police officers who responded, Mr Reeves and his wife, ALL involved in this conspiracy.

The problem with conspiracies is that people don't do a good job at keeping secrets. Massive conspiracies involving hundreds of people are impossible. The only way to have a successful conspiracy is to have it be very, very, very small, a handful of people, preferably one person, and for the conspiracy to have vast resources. One nutcase in the government, engineering the vast conspiracy of a shooting death at a Cobb Theater, is impossible.

Moreover, it's pointless. Because as I pointed out, people are just as likely to go out and purchase guns for personal protection, as they are to demand more gun control from the government. The mass shootings have not resulted in more restrictive gun laws in this country. If any person were to launch such massive conspiracies, at what would surely be an exorbitant cost, then the results would have to be pretty much guaranteed. And obviously, none of the mass shootings have gotten the "desired results" or there would be no need for them to continue to happen. As the "desired result" has not happened, to keep repeating the scenario thinking that this time it will work is the very definition of insanity. And if anyone were insane to that degree, then others would notice. Because that's loony tunes territory.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
It appears others have come forward stating they've had run-ins at the movies with this killer. With his attitude about cell phones and such, why does he bother to go to a public movie theatre? And why didn't his wife send him to anger management classes?

Sounds like a miserable SOB to me. Then again, most authoritarian busy body types are. And that is what this guy strikes me as. Nothing better to do, but meddle in other people's business and looking for a fight.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Quote:
we are seeing a slow and steady erosion of rights and not just gun rights. I don't know Mr Reeves personally but I see nothing in particular about Mr Reeves that would make think that he would not involve himself in something like this. Either he threw away everything in a fit of rage to really shoot someone over text messaging or he was paid handsomely to get involved in a contrived scenario where he did not have to kill anyone and he'd get to be involved in the "solution" to a real "problem". Don't many in law enforcement enter the field because they want to fight the "bad guys"? We know that law enforcement gets involved in undercover operations, right? Could this be just a slightly different type of preventative undercover operation to fight the "bad guys"? Maybe.

The NRA has successfully changed your gun rights in the last 20 years . .and lets get it straight, gun rights have increased significantly. The idea your under attack doesn't reflect the obvious amount of "rights" granted to gun owners that were not rights a few short years ago. .thanks to a insane Supreme Court, and big money NRA.

Much, of course, to the determent of the average citizen of the united states.

What I see above is close to a complex faith . . .or insanity. .sometimes this borderlines. Conspiracy theorists are as divulged from reality as a Mormon debating the genetic structure of Indians.

Faith conquers reality, regardless . . .

Dude, if you wanted to execute a conspiracy, you would blow up the freaking supreme court so Obama could appoint a bunch of left-leaning justices.

I mean if shooting kinder gardeners won't motivate people to do something about gun, some guy in a movie theater. . .would be a stupid plan.

Conspiracy discussion
"well, those kindergardeners didnt work"
"hmm"
"how about we shoot one more person in a movie theater"
"just one?"
"yeah. . .why not. "

Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Wow. Just wow. And I thought the birthers were delusional...

Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Either he threw away everything in a fit of rage to really shoot someone over text messaging.
Yes.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He was texting daughter's day care center to check on her. Apparently grounds for execution.
what is it with Florida

Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
what is it with Florida

Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
what is it with Florida
We absolutely have our share of crazies, but so does every state in the country. The problem is our crazies operate under some of the most lenient gun laws in the country as we have a legislature full of ultra-conservative yahoos. Cities have tried to keep guns out of libraries and other demilitarized zones here, but were forced to allow them because everyone needs a gun in the library--right? We have Stand Your Ground and Bring Your Gun to Work laws because gun owner's rights supersede county's rights, employer's rights and the rights of those who would like to live without fear of being gunned down for texting. Extreme hypocrisy reigns--employers cannot ban guns from their property and city and county officials are not allowed to set their own boundaries--this is freedom?

Florida should be called the Gunshine State.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/us/11guns.html

Gun laws: Repealing of gun bans has some officials worried. - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies