Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Please stay on topic.
Isn't the topic about reporting gun theft to LE? If you don't register your guns, you don't need to report the theft.

That is on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Isn't the topic about reporting gun theft to LE? If you don't register your guns, you don't need to report the theft.

That is on topic.
The OP seems to think that staying on topic is agreeing with them.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The NRA was correct in stripping out the 72 hour reporting requirement in the event of a stolen firearm.

My firearms are insured, and I have never had any stolen, but if one or more were stolen the very last thing I would do is report the theft to the police. I would call my insurance carrier and file a claim, but in no way would I ever let government know that I own firearms.
Most insurance policies require a police report to file a claim on any theft. The police case number is just part of info required to file claim.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Most insurance policies require a police report to file a claim on any theft. The police case number is just part of info required to file claim.
Mine does not. Sure, they would LIKE a police report, but they will not invalidate my claim if I do not file a police report.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Mine does not. Sure, they would LIKE a police report, but they will not invalidate my claim if I do not file a police report.
I see you have no experience with a business called an insurance company.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I don't have a problem of guns per se, I have a problem with our inability to track weapons.

if you use a weapon in a crime, it should be really easy to track you down.

1) all guns manufactured are required to have a unique metal signature (radio isotope maybe?) that is assigned at factory
2) Guns registration is tracked from factory to person
3) all gun powder is similar tracked, regardless where/how you buy it or make your own bullets (shouldn't be that hard, less than 100 companies make gun powder).

Failure to register a weapon, minimum 10 years federal prison

but here is the kicker on sales. . easy

you may sell a weapon to whomever (as long as they have the right/privilege). As owner of the weapon you are responsible for all violations and accidents that occur with said weapon

1) if your firearm is stolen, without evidence of being secured, a crime committed with the weapon puts you as the accomplice
2) if a family member uses the weapon in a mass killing event, you are a accomplice
3) if your child gains access to a unsecured firearm and causes harm (to himself) you are a accomplice in manslaughter
4) if a family member uses the weapon to kill him/herself, you are a accomplice to manslaughter

Easy.

No more gun problems then.
you watch too many movies

Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,167 times
I think personal security needs to be mentioned here, and I'll leave it at that. Now I know I'm going to be chastised too, but NONE of my 3 handguns are registered to any owner, not even me. Reasons NOT to register your weapons are obvious and a matter of opinion. I also do not have my true residence listed on paper or on record, so any attempt to rob my apartment would result in a wrong address. My FOID card does not show a true address either for the same reasons. I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before some idiot member of LE or the media is going to find a way to publicize legal weapons holders, either by registration or license records. IF this were to happen, the results are beyond your worst fears, hence my reason to secure location and weapons data.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I think personal security needs to be mentioned here, and I'll leave it at that. Now I know I'm going to be chastised too, but NONE of my 3 handguns are registered to any owner, not even me. Reasons NOT to register your weapons are obvious and a matter of opinion. I also do not have my true residence listed on paper or on record, so any attempt to rob my apartment would result in a wrong address. My FOID card does not show a true address either for the same reasons. I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before some idiot member of LE or the media is going to find a way to publicize legal weapons holders, either by registration or license records. IF this were to happen, the results are beyond your worst fears, hence my reason to secure location and weapons data.
I agree completely. Even my driver's license does not include my physical address. Any moron stupid enough to register their firearm, or report it stolen to the police, is just asking to have it taken from them.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:42 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Error to your thought. There are so many gun owners in the USA it would be easier to list those that don't own a firearm. Most likely that were your apartment to get robbed it would be just local thieves and nothing to do with the govt.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,215,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Error to your thought. There are so many gun owners in the USA it would be easier to list those that don't own a firearm. Most likely that were your apartment to get robbed it would be just local thieves and nothing to do with the govt.
I might agree with that, considering there might be more gun owners like me out there than I thought. Possibly more un-registered opposed to registered raising those numbers. My comfort comes from knowing the mail carrier doesn't know there's a apartment here, much less a curious thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies