Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The slippery slope from from same sex marriage to polygamy does not hold any water, it never has.

If you look objectively at marriage laws and benefits it's very clearly designed for binding TWO people as family with all the benefits and obligations of next of kin status. Only two, no more, no less, the gender of those two people is not legally relevant. Based on the constitution, we should not deny a same sex couple access to these clearly defined rights that are in existence for all other couples.

Gay marriage will not create any obligation to create an entirely new set of marriage rights for polygamous unions, adding polygamy into the mix would require changing the existing laws, same sex marriage does not (ignoring all the DOMA nonsense that was just an attempt to make discrimination legal) and coming up with new provisions for additional spouses such as who makes ultimate life and death decisions, (can you imagine the lawsuits if spouses disagree?) tax law, SS benefits, healthcare benefits, and childcare decisions would be all seriously affected.

This argument is nonsense, and always has been.
Change (or ignore) laws is a big deal? Some people do this frequently with just a phone and a pen.

For something as important as allowing people to marry those they love, this is a minor problem.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here's the question I've got about this whole gay marriage thing. Why does it have to be marriage? What's wrong with civil unions?
When you use the term marriage you bring in a religious connotation that goes against what many religious people believe to be right. So, why not avoid the fight and have something like a civil union that bestows the same rights/obligations <sans religious ones> that marriage does? Is that not a solution?
Or, is it not about the legal rights of gays at all but instead to force various religions to bend to the will of the few? I'm guessing it's the latter.
I could care LESS that gay people want to legally join together, just as I could care LESS that a man or woman want multiple wives/husbands. As long as they fulfill their legal obligations to their mates why is it my business?
I don't agree with forcing others to accept YOUR choices.

Okay, another poster who is ignorant of the law as it stands.

First; marriage is a civil contract from the US government, not religious unless one wants it, which does not grant those 1049 Federal rights.

Second; all states that ban same sex marriage also ban civil unions or domestic partnerships for gays.

Third; no civil union or domestic partnership even comes close to granting the same rights, privileges or protections that a civil marriage contract does.

Fourth; all religions and churches have laws in place that allows them the right to discriminate against who they will marry, wether it is based on race, age, marital status as in a prior divorce or for any reason.

Fifth; is that no one chooses their sexual orientation, that includes gays and straights.

Sixth; why would gays want to have a church wedding in a church that treats them like an abomination when there are churches that want to perform same sex weddings but are prevented from doing so by laws banning same sex weddings, domestic partnerships and civil unions?

Seventh; why must everyone have to obey religious morality based on those that believe in their bible? What bible laws and tenets you want to obey is your business, stop forcing them down everyones throats.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:17 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives? Will America fight to allow men to have more then one wife since we marching? I mean as a straight man my rights are being denied.
Here's a gem of an idea..... how about government gets out of the marriage business all together? No gay marriage, no straight marriage.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Here's a gem of an idea..... how about government gets out of the marriage business all together? No gay marriage, no straight marriage.
Great, are you first in line to give up your marriage license and file for a divorce? When I see hordes of straight couples giving up their civil marriage licenses, then I will believe you and everyone else that says they want the government out of marriage. The government is involved in marriage because it CANNOT be left up to the church or religion for they would in turn deny marriage to who ever they want to and base it on race, religion, age and sex. History has shown that over and over, give religion control over marriage and they become tyrants.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Great, are you first in line to give up your marriage license and file for a divorce? When I see hordes of straight couples giving up their civil marriage licenses, then I will believe you and everyone else that says they want the government out of marriage. The government is involved in marriage because it CANNOT be left up to the church or religion for they would in turn deny marriage to who ever they want to and base it on race, religion, age and sex. History has shown that over and over, give religion control over marriage and they become tyrants.

I'm not married so I can't give it up..... If I were, then sure I would give it up. I don't need a piece of paper that serves no purpose other than to signify the governments recognition of my union to another, to consider myself married.

Most of this whole gay marriage debate is nothing more than the semantics over the word "marriage" to begin with. Many Christians and conservatives have no problem with gay couples reaping benefits under a "civil union".... as long as it isn't called a "marriage".... So I say get rid of the term marriage and everybody can get a civil union, gay or straight. Give the term "marriage" to the church where it will carry no legal weight.... Want to get married? Do it in a church. Want to get federal benefits? You have to enter in to a civil union at the courthouse...

How about that?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 PM

86 posts, read 147,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm not married so I can't give it up..... If I were, then sure I would give it up. I don't need a piece of paper that serves no purpose other than to signify the governments recognition of my union to another, to consider myself married.

Most of this whole gay marriage debate is nothing more than the semantics over the word "marriage" to begin with. Many Christians and conservatives have no problem with gay couples reaping benefits under a "civil union".... as long as it isn't called a "marriage".... So I say get rid of the term marriage and everybody can get a civil union, gay or straight. Give the term "marriage" to the church where it will carry no legal weight.... Want to get married? Do it in a church. Want to get federal benefits? You have to enter in to a civil union at the courthouse...

How about that?
No thanks.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Anti-gays who push the "we're hypocrites if we don't allow polygamy" lack several things:

1) Knowledge of how constitutional analysis works;

2) Perspective

3) Critical thinking skills

Thanks. That is the bottom line.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Just give it some time. It's a process.
Ah, the "slippery slope" argument.

I don't buy it.

Won't happen in the lifetimes of any of us posting in this forum. If a future generation a century from now whats to debate it, let them. I suppose they will be "religious" folks who want to bring back "biblical" marriage like King Solomon had.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Ah, the "slippery slope" argument.

I don't buy it.

Won't happen in the lifetimes of any of us posting in this forum. If a future generation a century from now whats to debate it, let them. I suppose they will be "religious" folks who want to bring back "biblical" marriage like King Solomon had.
I am willing to place a wager with you. It is a matter of when, not if. Ask any person my age or older if they thought SSM would have happened in their lifetime when they were in their twenties. Major change in societal norms no longer take generations.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am willing to place a wager with you. It is a matter of when, not if. Ask any person my age or older if they thought SSM would have happened in their lifetime when they were in their twenties. Major change in societal norms no longer take generations.
Where is the impetus for polygamy? How many straight men are there seeking to have more than one wife and the responsiblities that come with it? How is the battle for same sex marriage even similar to polygamy? If anything would lead to polygamy it is straight marriage, not same sex marriage. Show us how many are seeking the right to polygamy or even polyandry. There are millions of gays and lesbians that want the right to marry and the protections that come with a civil marriage license, how many straight people are there who want polygamy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies