Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Answer a question for me:

In all the places where same sex marriage has been legalized, where has polygamy also been legalized?

In all the places where same sex marriage has been legalized, where has incest marriage been legalized?

In the world same sex couples can legally marry in places like Canada, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, the Netherlands, Argentina, Uruguay, Norway, France, New Zealand, Iceland, Belgium, etc.

In 17 states and D.C. it has been legalized, including New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Iowa, California, Maryland, Vermont, Delaware, Washington, etc.

Where is polygamy also legal in all those places?

If you have no doubt it will happen, then please enlighten us as to when it will come? In 2 years? In 5 years? In 10 years?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Just give it some time. It's a process. First they would start to label themselves as victims, they would say that they are having theirrrights being refused and being discriminated against, then they would try to normalize and justify their lifestyles, probably saying many of the same thing that gay activists say, '' Polygamy/incest occurs in nature, animals do I, that makes it natural.'' '' It's been observed in history, polygamy was around forever, and some Historical figures had relations with family. '' '' its a behavior I can't control, I didn't choose to be attracted to my siblings /multiple partners, it just happened, love is love''.

The same way you justify homosexuality can be used tojjustify those other lifestyles too, because that's how bad the logic is.

Then they will get some celebrity and media supporters, some lobbying groups who will attack and push their agenda into society, get junk science to support their views, convince young people that it's cool, get some activist judges, and then you will see these people married.

Now you can argue that these people are really small in the overall population, but so are homosexuals. Once we change the definition of Marriage there is no going back, polygamy is already making it's start in Canada.

This is why the best way to protect marriage is to drop the word from the Government. Secular Civil Contracts should be the only thing recognized and given by the Government, to anyone of any kind of relationship or lifestyle, keep Marriage it's self a religious/social /family thing only, not a legal thing.

That way everyone would have equality, Marriage would be protected, and the debate would be over. Everyone would get what they want.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
How would your marriage be compromised if Michael and Philip down the street get married?
I keep hearing about how it will compromise and devalue heterosexual marriages, but not a soul has been able to explain how or why.
These complaints are coming from the same people who compromise and devalue marriage, look at the divorce rate! Hetrosexuals have already make a mockery of marriage.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
^^^True but poor conduct by others is never sufficient justification to follow suit.

I see the real issue as catering to a very small group whose preference is supposed to sit alongside the same level as the the far larger majority of folk. The often commented 10% is misquoted and of questionable validity in any case.

Marriage is supposed to be a special union between a man and a women. Marriage is not the only route for a man and women to take in terms of relationships. Obviously, couples live together without marriage. Marriages dissolve. There have been adulterous or abusive marriages, loveless,etc...marriage is not a panacea but it is intended to mark something special in a relationship most hope to achieve in their lives.

Raising homosexuality to the level of marriages blesses it as practice that should be emulated.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
OP this is BS. First off marriage is not a religious thing, if some want to surround their marriage with a religious ceremony that is their choice, but its a contract between two people. If you want to believe in a mythical god that started marriage that is your choice, but its as stupid to say that as to say, because you believe that two men or two women can not marry as to say since I believe that god created the earth two men or two women living together can not buy or sell land. Its just that stupid. Its a contract between two people just as selling land or buying land is a contract between two people. To deny them that right to have a legal agreement is wrong headed and stupid. If you want to preach it from your pulpit then knock yourself out. But to act on it to deny others their right is never ever gong to prevail. You neo cons have chosen some dumb hills to die on, and die on them you will. Abortion, Gay rights, war on women, man your going to be relegated to the corn field soon.

Having a mate is not a religious thing. Marriage is a privilege give to you by your god.
If your god is government, so be it.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 AM

544 posts, read 610,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Having a mate is not a religious thing. Marriage is a privilege give to you by your god.
If your god is government, so be it.
God gave man woman. However, woman be bad. Woman do not help man, but deceive against man.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
I suppose people who are insecure in their own sexuality would have fear about this trend.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
^^I think it is more folks who are concerned regarding what their kids are exposed to in their formative years. Just like we block certain types of media so that they do not believe what is seen or heard is normal and to be encouraged.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
God gave man woman. However, woman be bad. Woman do not help man, but deceive against man.
And man be so very, very sweet to woman

Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As I said, I'm not saying those changes or this one shouldn't happen, but it will have an impact. I also said it will not impact MY marriage. I personally have no issue with SSM and have even attended a couple of them, with gift in hand. But to argue that it will not impact society, including the institute of marriage, is naïve and not based on what the past has shown us. And if it results in the government getting out of the marriage business, then it actually will impact everyone's marriage. Plus, it will open the door for other changes to marriage.

As I said, I don't think it will impact my marriage in the least. However, the world does not revolve around me. I am allowed to be concerned about how things may impact people other then myself, including my children and future grandchildren. Not everything is about me, and not everything is even about what's in my best interest, sometimes what is more important is how something may impact society as a whole.
That still does not answer how it will impact straight marriage or society. If anything, allowing same sex marriage will impact society in a positive way by increasing tax revenues and funds, plus more people in committed relationships is better for society.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Biscuitmom, I'm afraid you are just too rational for this debate.

Anti-gays who push the "we're hypocrites if we don't allow polygamy" lack several things:

1) Knowledge of how constitutional analysis works;

2) Perspective

3) Critical thinking skills

You are literally like the ONLY one who has touched upon the reasons why polygamy has MULTIPLE rational basis which would allow Courts to conclude that marriage should be expanded to allow multiple partners to same.

These basis you cite are also not troubling in the way that they appeal to someone's religious proclivities, traditionalism arguments that fall apart under scrutiny, or moralizing.

I have invited the "we must allow polygamy" folks to spend time trying to figure out how to work through the very problems associated with expanding the rights and responsibilities marriage to polygamous marriage. No coherent response, as usual.

No, they'd much rather "hit and run" post their typical nonsense and mentally masturbate with their like minded brethren.
Obviously you did not read my post.
The issue can be approached as one of "should marriage be a legal/civil status vs a social/religious status" before we argue from the assumption that marriage laws are immutable.
Because clearly, they are not.
Neither have you read any respectable philosophical treatises on this subject, particularly the recent ones written by Elizabeth Brake.

And maybe YOU should engage in some serious critical thinking before you go off at the lip with essentially ad hominem attacks and a quick trigger finger.

Issues such as spousal imunity in court testimony are easily dealt with by eliminating this archaic law, as most of the world does.

And to those who fear that homosexual marriage will "devalue" traditional marriage: you are missing the fundamental reality that it is BECAUSE traditional marriage has been so weakened (out of wedlock births, cohabitation and partner benefits, loss of tax advantages, etc.) that it was an EASY target for gay people to crack.
So why be so surprised that the door, once opened, will invite others to want admission?

Last edited by tjarado; 02-27-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies