Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives? Will America fight to allow men to have more then one wife since we marching? I mean as a straight man my rights are being denied.
As long as there is A.) No extra tax credit past the first and B.) No other laws being broken (e.g., abuse), then I have no issue with it honestly.

Actually only issue I could see is if it became wide spread, there would be more single men with less options which can lead to possible social turmoil.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'm good with that. I have this sweet little dog with the most beautiful brown eyes, and she looks so cute in a pink tutu! I put a little bridal veil on her the other day and just fell in love. I'm gonna get me some of that Obamacare, quit my job, get me an RV and tour the country with my brown-eyed baby-doll.
Hang on! Let me grab my doggie partner and I'll go with you!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times
Quote:
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives?
That's certainly a stretch, don't you think, to wonder that?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Reactionary View Post
Yeah,exactly the same. Dumb.

Oh, I'm sorry. I suppose it's more legitimate to equate POLYGAMY and gay marriage, rather than what was going on with respect to miscegenation laws.

It's not like the SAME tired arguments aren't being used now as back then or anything!

History: Learn it. Cause y'all are repeating it, and the outcome is not going to be ANY different than how it worked out for the segregationists and anti-miscegenationists.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You didn't answer the question. How will Michael and Philip's marriage negatively impact YOUR marriage? How will it devalue your own matrimonial vows and life?
Furthermore, using "that's how it's been done for 200 years" doesn't really compute. How would you like to go to the voting booth and be told that you're not allowed to vote because you're a woman and that's how it's been done for almost 200 years? What's next....dogs and horses voting? Would you meekly agree and go home?
How about being told you're not allowed to own property because you're a female? After, all that's it's always been done. Something tells me you wouldn't like it much.
Societies grow and evolve. Michael and Philip getting married doesn't affect you. At all.
As I said, I'm not saying those changes or this one shouldn't happen, but it will have an impact. I also said it will not impact MY marriage. I personally have no issue with SSM and have even attended a couple of them, with gift in hand. But to argue that it will not impact society, including the institute of marriage, is naïve and not based on what the past has shown us. And if it results in the government getting out of the marriage business, then it actually will impact everyone's marriage. Plus, it will open the door for other changes to marriage.

As I said, I don't think it will impact my marriage in the least. However, the world does not revolve around me. I am allowed to be concerned about how things may impact people other then myself, including my children and future grandchildren. Not everything is about me, and not everything is even about what's in my best interest, sometimes what is more important is how something may impact society as a whole.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives? Will America fight to allow men to have more then one wife since we marching? I mean as a straight man my rights are being denied.
Free for all..anything goes once you reach the age of consent.
This society will make Sodom and Gomorrah seem like a G rated movie.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Why??? Why in God's name would I want multiple wives. "Oh the humanity".

Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
yes. also multiple husbands for those who want them. the only thing I would expect, though it wouldn't be enforceable as a law, is that all parties involved take care of the children created in their various relationships.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
That's certainly a stretch, don't you think, to wonder that?
Not a stretch at all. If a man can have a woman or a man why not a few women ?
Society accepts what they accept.

It was once acceptable to marry off girls as young as 12.
Society accepted it.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
if I had a sister wife I would have so much free time. and I would be the first wife, so I would rank higher than her.

I can't see having another husband unless I was pass child baring age and there were no jealousy issues. perhaps it would work best if they were also into each other, if you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies