Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM

108 posts, read 110,817 times

Advertisements

How can you stop love?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Since gay marriage is here, it is time to allow heterosexual men to have multiple wives? Will America fight to allow men to have more then one wife since we marching? I mean as a straight man my rights are being denied.
Yes. And women to have multiple husbands. Government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
There may be compelling reasons to outlaw at least male + wives polygamy. In US locales where that is practiced, like Colorado City AZ, it becomes a tremendous burden on government as the male is not able to support all the children that are produced (women don't work outside of the home).

Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,350 times
I can see that history is lost on most of you. The saying goes "when in Rome", but Rome fell.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
It's time to allow a lot of things since people are realizing their own best interests and subverting social norms.

Pop that lid off the can of worms.
I'm good with that. I have this sweet little dog with the most beautiful brown eyes, and she looks so cute in a pink tutu! I put a little bridal veil on her the other day and just fell in love. I'm gonna get me some of that Obamacare, quit my job, get me an RV and tour the country with my brown-eyed baby-doll.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'm good with that. I have this sweet little dog with the most beautiful brown eyes, and she looks so cute in a pink tutu! I put a little bridal veil on her the other day and just fell in love. I'm gonna get me some of that Obamacare, quit my job, get me an RV and tour the country with my brown-eyed baby-doll.
I call my poodle 'my little man.' He's been with me longer than my husband , I wonder if there are social provisions for that.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,540 times
If gay marriage does become legalized across the country (and in most states it probably will) then I have no doubt that polygamy and even incest marriages will too. I would even go so far as to say that people will even try to '' normalize '' those lifestyles too. They are trying to do it with homosexuality.

It all boils down to what the word '' Marriage '' actually means. The traditional definition has always been a union between a man and woman. This is also the religious definition. Some people want to change the term to mean something else, they think '' Marriage '' should be secularized.

IMO Marriage has no place in the Government or vice versa. There should only be '' secular contracts '' given and recognized by the Government, indiscriminately. Straight, gay, man and his Xbox, doesn't matter.

Marriage it's self would be a private thing among Churches, Synagogues, families etc.... The term would be protected as it would apply to the Religious and Social aspects of it.This would end the entire debate. No one could complain about not having equality and those of us who believe in Traditional Marriage would not have our values and the meaning of Marriage compromised.

Gay activists however do not want this option. Because it would take away their power. Their goal is not really equality, it's to push their lifestyle onto everyone else in society, and they need Gay Marriage as a rallying issue to accomplish that agenda. Drop Marriage from the Government and they no longer can accomplish this, they would then be seen as nothing more than a militant lifestyle group demanding special treatment, which is what they are.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Tell ya what, OP, you and the polygamists figure out how to make the marriage contract, and the 1000 rights, responsibilities, benefits and immunities that go with same work for more than 1+1 person to the contract, and then make your case to the courts. Have at it. Start your own movement.

Until then, brush up on how the Constitution works, when and how the government can discriminate, and learn such things as constitutional review standards.

The government CAN discriminate. However, depending on the reason WHY it is discriminating, it has to prove certain levels of basis,a nd survive levels of scrutiny: Rational basis, heightened scrutiny, strict scrutiny.

I can think of at least ...3... rational bases for the government to not allow polygamous marriage that have nothing to do with religion, appeal to some "tradition or values" crap argument, or which is couched in someone else's definition of morality. Can you do the same vis-à-vis gay marriage?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
If gay marriage does become legalized across the country (and in most states it probably will) then I have no doubt that polygamy and even incest marriages will too. I would even go so far as to say that people will even try to '' normalize '' those lifestyles too. They are trying to do it with homosexuality.

It all boils down to what the word '' Marriage '' actually means. The traditional definition has always been a union between a man and woman. This is also the religious definition. Some people want to change the term to mean something else, they think '' Marriage '' should be secularized.

IMO Marriage has no place in the Government or vice versa. There should only be '' secular contracts '' given and recognized by the Government, indiscriminately. Straight, gay, man and his Xbox, doesn't matter.

Marriage it's self would be a private thing among Churches, Synagogues, families etc.... The term would be protected as it would apply to the Religious and Social aspects of it.This would end the entire debate. No one could complain about not having equality and those of us who believe in Traditional Marriage would not have our values and the meaning of Marriage compromised.

Gay activists however do not want this option. Because it would take away their power. Their goal is not really equality, it's to push their lifestyle onto everyone else in society, and they need Gay Marriage as a rallying issue to accomplish that agenda. Drop Marriage from the Government and they no longer can accomplish this, they would then be seen as nothing more than a militant lifestyle group demanding special treatment, which is what they are.

LOL @ the "get government out of marriage" argument - the last refuge of anti-gay marriage dead-enders.

"We don't want to share so destroy it all!"

Too bad your great idea about "getting government out of marriage" was never a serious idea until the gays came along looking to gain equal access to what is rightfully theirs as free tax paying citizens, huh?

You guys couldn't be more transparent if you tried.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Since X why not Y? LOL

Some people.

Besides, Y was a thing first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies