Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Because nothing in America is so important as funding his legacy..."Obamacare".
Do whatever you have to so that you can afford the unaffordable health insurance brokered by the government.

Maybe because less than 1/2 of those that signed up for this great insurance have yet to pay their premiums ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I would respect him more if he'd just flat out tell us all to eat cake.
Cake is good. Pie, well not so good.

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
but you are forgetting a lot of stuff, like how much is the deductible? and after that how much are you paying out of pocket? its not just the initial health insurance premiums that you have to deal with, its the $10,000 you have to pay out of pocket, before the health insurance kicks in, and then the 20% after that the health insurance doesnt pay. and then there are the doctors visits, lab tests, etc, that the health insurance doesnt pay for either, along with prescription meds. if you want those things covered, you are going to pay a lot more than you suggest on a PER MONTH basis, not yearly. in fact you are going to have to show me that your rates are even accurate since the CBO was suggesting that the average premium for a family of for was going to be on the order of $20,000 per year.
My wife is on a bronze policy and like most people will only visit the doctor once or twice a year. Even on the bronze policy one doctor visit a year is covered and others are $60. It also has some prescription coverage. There is probably a one in four chance any one year you could hit your deductible of $6350. After that all costs will be covered. Have you ever removed collision form an older vehicle and just ran with liablility? Thats what being on the Bronze and Silver plans are. High deductibles are nothing new. This is insurance against bankruptcy. We have been on these plans for years and most people are familiar with them. By the way it was a conservative idea that the ACA be sold as health insurance and not health care.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A family of 3 making $36,000/year can get health insurance for less than $100/month after subsidies. Nobody said health insurance would be free. Why are Republicans now complaining because there's no free ride?
But the deductibles and out of pocket are unaffordable for these people.
Their "affordable" insurance is more costly then my high deductible insurance through my former employer.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,113,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! The very same conservatives who were always howling "If these deadbeats can afford cell phones and fancy manicures, they can afford health insurance!!" are now complaining.
What an about-face!
Well, it did come from Obama, so now it's something to whine and complain bitterly about....even though they were saying the same thing just a short time ago.
No, I totally agree with the President on this one.

If health care is important to an individual and/or family, cutting out the non essentials is an option. I don't see anything wrong with that. Some families do have non essential items in their budget. Those that can help themselves should do as such.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
My wife is on a bronze policy and like most people will only visit the doctor once or twice a year. Even on the bronze policy one doctor visit a year is covered and others are $60. It also has some prescription coverage. There is probably a one in four chance any one year you could hit your deductible of $6350. After that all costs will be covered. Have you ever removed collision form an older vehicle and just ran with liablility? Thats what being on the Bronze and Silver plans are. High deductibles are nothing new. This is insurance against bankruptcy. We have been on these plans for years and most people are familiar with them. By the way it was a conservative idea that the ACA be sold as health insurance and not health care.
Families with kids tend to use medical services much more than adults.
If you don't have kids..just wait.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A family of 3 making $36,000/year can get health insurance for less than $100/month after subsidies. Nobody said health insurance would be free. Why are Republicans now complaining because there's no free ride?

If I don't qualify for a subsidy than no one should. There should be no "free ride". I am already being screwed by not being able to deduct my out of pocket medical expenses due to my income. Health insurance rates should NOT be "progressive".

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
But if he was a conservative and said "take personal responsibility " for your own healthcare it would sound different, yes?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that was back before the obamacare law came into being. back when health insurance rates were affordable.
When was that?

People should budget to take care of their own healthcare.

Nah. I want a smart phone and the top cable TV package.....I want top of the line everything.....and when I end up in the hospital and can't pay the bill......too bad for the suckers that have to pick up the tab. Raise the price of care and insurance rates for everyone else to make up for my unpaid bill.

To hell with personal responsibility.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
A lot of people in this country need to grow up.

The President receives a lot of flack for various reasons, but I don't have to be as tactful as him.

Don't call yourself a (fiscal) conservative, yet complain about health insurance taking up a larger portion of your discretionary income. There are a lot of things in this p***ified country that are not essentials. Vacations, smart phones, (luxury) cars, vacation homes, private school tuition, cable TV... none of that crap is necessary. Get a grip on reality. Health insurance is a moral contract in society in which an individual takes the responsibility for mitigating the financial risks associated with health care expenses (which would otherwise be paid for by society anyway).

I personally don't give a damn about what other people's household budget looks like. A man needs food, clothing, water, shelter, and health care. Everything else is unnecessary. Stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies