Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because nothing in America is so important as funding his legacy..."Obamacare".
Do whatever you have to so that you can afford the unaffordable health insurance brokered by the government.

Maybe because less than 1/2 of those that signed up for this great insurance have yet to pay their premiums ?
Its probably more like 15%. California has the numbers from their own exchange. Its not any different than people dropping car insuance, car payments, etc. Stuff happens and people cant afford it. Insurance companies have been dealing with this for years.

Obamacare: Fifteen percent of Covered California enrollees haven't paid - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM

2,820 posts, read 2,113,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
But if he was a conservative and said "take personal responsibility " for your own healthcare it would sound different, yes?
No. What the President stated was spot on.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
My wife is on a bronze policy and like most people will only visit the doctor once or twice a year. Even on the bronze policy one doctor visit a year is covered and others are $60. It also has some prescription coverage. There is probably a one in four chance any one year you could hit your deductible of $6350. After that all costs will be covered. Have you ever removed collision form an older vehicle and just ran with liablility? Thats what being on the Bronze and Silver plans are. High deductibles are nothing new. This is insurance against bankruptcy. We have been on these plans for years and most people are familiar with them. By the way it was a conservative idea that the ACA be sold as health insurance and not health care.
you are making a lot of assumptions here. first you are assuming that you wont need to pay the deductible, but that can happen the first time you have to go to the hospital for anything. if you have kids, its very possible that they are going to have a hospital visit a couple of times while growing up.

as for running just liability insurance on my older cars, yes i do, because that insurance isnt for me, its for taking care of the other person should i be in an accident that is my fault. if they are at fault, then their insurance pays, but it is a risk that i am willing to take because i know i can replace my older car with another very cheaply if needed, and i minimize my risk of being at fault in an accident by driving defensively.

and by the way, the obamacare law is not about health care but rather health insurance anyway.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That's a gross income of about $36,000 a year.
A Silver Plan will cost a 20 something individual about $2000 a year or 5.53% of gross income. A Bronze plan or if qualified, a catastrophic plan would cost less.
Only one small problem here --- you can't pay your bills with gross dollars, only net ones.

Also, to see how truly "affordable" this insurance is, we would need to know the deductibles and OOP expenses. If those total $10,000 --- vs. a likely "net" income in the example above of somewhere near $28,000 -- that's not all that affordable.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
But if he was a conservative and said "take personal responsibility " for your own healthcare it would sound different, yes?
If he weren't forcing people to buy healthcare or pay artificially high rates for it, sure.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Probably so just as like how the left would be upset if a GOP president was trying to force everyone to buy something from the "evil insurance companies".

Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
A lot of people in this country need to grow up.

The President receives a lot of flack for various reasons, but I don't have to be as tactful as him.

Don't call yourself a (fiscal) conservative, yet complain about health insurance taking up a larger portion of your discretionary income. There are a lot of things in this p***ified country that are not essentials. Vacations, smart phones, (luxury) cars, vacation homes, private school tuition, cable TV... none of that crap is necessary. Get a grip on reality. Health insurance is a moral contract in society in which an individual takes the responsibility for mitigating the financial risks associated with health care expenses (which would otherwise be paid for by society anyway).

I personally don't give a damn about what other people's household budget looks like. A man needs food, clothing, water, shelter, and health care. Everything else is unnecessary. Stop complaining.
Ok, OFA troll.....

I don't think anyone that can write the check for "luxury cars, vacation homes, and private school tuition" are having to wonder about how they are going to pay for healthcare.

However, a large portion of the population will see or has already seen the line item expense for "health insurance premiums" in their own household budget increase dramatically. Couple that with new, higher deductibles and OOP expenses, and you don't need a degree from Wharton to know there's trouble ahead.

You should complain about health insurance taking up a larger portion of your discretionary income.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Ok, OFA troll.....

You should complain about health insurance taking up a larger portion of your discretionary income.
Especially when it was supposed to save you $2500 bucks.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Families with kids tend to use medical services much more than adults.
If you don't have kids..just wait.

Please do not encourage him to have kids.....

Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wow. Said from the man whose suit cost at least probably three times that monthly premium. And who supports that same taxpayer paying for cell phones and the internet for those that don't work.
Why do you think dictators who preach about equality all live in mansions?

Did you see the mansions the Ukranian leaders lived in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies