Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You should stop telling other people they can't read for comprehension.

The lowball 2.6 million from the liberal Urban Institute are people who lost insurance because their policies were illegal under Ocare and had to be cancelled. Sure, x number then bought new insurance somewhere else. It's trickery for you, CBO, Gallup, or anyone else to count the x as newly insured under Ocare.
No, that isn't what that means. You should really read for comprehension and really start reading about what happened to those who received canceled policies notices.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Over one million more than were projected with the final numbers coming in. Only 27% of the enrollees were between 18 and 34. However that means that almost 6 million were over 35 with many in the what could be considered the Republican base between 50-64. Do you think those people are going to be responding to the Republican plan of repeal and lose their insurance and possible subsidies? The Republicans dont have a plan as the RSC admits since nothing has ever been voted on since 2010. Shouldn't Republicans be coming up with a plan rather than telling the 8 million sorry about your health insurance but we have ours?

Obamacare final enrollment hits 8 million
The article says nothing about the republican base. Thus your post just displays a real ignorance of facts.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This whole tyraid from you started when I suggested that people bought insurance on the exchange who lost insurance. Cancellation notices are just that.. Cancellations..

And since you have no idea how many of these individuals obtained insurance then I have to ask why you've spent PAGES arguing with me that this didnt take place.
I didn't say that some people who received cancellation notices didn't buy insurance on the exchanges. It was your ridiculous point that ALL of them bought insurance on the exchanges that I challenged.

No based on the information that exists cancellation notices aren't just that. You should really do some reading about what happened to those people who received cancellation notices. A huge percentage were allowed to keep the existing insurance policy or transferred to another policy.

Based on the information I have read, it appears as if the majority of those who received canceled policy notices didn't actually have their policy canceled in a way that resulted in a loss of insurance.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
The CBO deals with whatever definirtions and numbers they get...Garbage in garbage out....

The CBO does not challenge assumptions. It just crunches the numbers they are handed.

To tout 8 million as success is the the same as saying UBL is dead and AQ is on the run.

Meaningless sound bites intended to mislead and obsfucate.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Obamacare Final Enrollment Hits 8 Million

So they finally signed up enough people to make up for the millions of people they kicked off the insurance policies the people wanted?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
WRONG.. Transferring people to a new policy wouldnt explain the spike in the uninsured because they wouldnt have had a laps in insurance..

Once again, the uninsured spiked from 16.3% to 18% of the country. With 300+ million individuals this means that 5.1 million individuals lost insurance at the end of 2013 for various reasons. Some of them due to ACA and others for different reasons.

Transferring policies wouldnt increase the uninsured numbers, so explain for me the spike.
That's because the spike had nothing to do with the ACA. You are just ignorant of this simple fact.

The cancellation notices didn't go out until Sept/Oct of 2013 and the cancellations didn't actually apply until January 1, 2014.

You keep showing your ignorance. Based on that chart the uninsured rate started increasing at the end of 2012 and peaked in the maybe August or September of 2013 and then started declining.

Based on the chart that is the timeline of the uninsured increase. It didn't correspond with the cancellation notices because I repeat the canceled policies didn't take affect UNTIL JANUARY 2014. Smh

This is really funny. You are so blinded by ideology that you are misreading a chart to make it fit a narrative that the chart shows doesn't fit. Smh.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Anytime the cost of something is adjusted by adding monies from the Federal
it is a subsidy. Doesn't matter what kind of employment contract you have.
Nonsense.. A subsidy is a payment from the government to keep costs low. Paying federal employees their salary doesnt keep the cost of healthcare low.
Quote:
Next you will tell me farmers don't get subsidies either.
Never stated anything close to this dumb
Quote:
Without these subsidies, the cost of health care could not be paid for by individuals.
One of the reasons, single payer makes so much sense.
Even more nonsense.. Simply changing the payor doesnt make it more affordable.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No that would be the incorrect assumption though. There has been some fact checking on this.

In 2013, Florida Blue started sending letters to about 300,000 members explaining that the Affordable Care Act requires plans to provide 10 categories of essential benefits. Some Florida Blue plans didn’t include those services, so those plans would be closed. But that didn’t mean those 300,000 members were stranded without insurance.
And NONE of these individuals would be counted as uninsured, but yet once again, the uninsured SKYROCKETED.

What part of this dont you get?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Based on the information that I have read about the policy cancellations. It is difficult to know exactly how many people's policies were actually cancelled and they were left without insurance.

Many people received cancellation notices but were allowed to keep their off exchange policy. Many received cancellation notices and were switched over to another off exchange policy. Many received cancellation notices and bought an off exchange policy.

Some people who found out they had canceled policies found out they qualified for subsidizes with an on exchange policy with the same insurance company and they bought an on exchange policy. Some who received canceled policies people found out they qualified for medicaid.

I think based on the information that has been reported that the first three options were what happened to a vast percentage of those who received cancelled policies.
Considering the percentage increase, its over 5 million individuals who LOST insurance

Once again, if they were just rolled into a new policy then they wouldnt have been uninsured in order to be counted as uninsured..

Old 04-18-2014, 01:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Nonsense.. A subsidy is a payment from the government to keep costs low.

Even more nonsense.. Simply changing the payor doesnt make it more affordable.
Actually some subsidies raise the cost of things. Medicare Advantage was a perfect example.
It absolutely does make it more affordable changing a payer, especially if it is single payer.
I would read up on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies