Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
no no no, you said people didnt lose insurance because of ACA, now all of a sudden they did, but they MIGHT not have bought it thorugh the exchange.. You continue to move the goal post as your postings get laughed at as utterly ridiculous.

Here, I'll bite, how many of those 2.6 million individuals got insurance through the exchange
I didn't say no one lost insurance because of the ACA. I said that most of the people who received policy cancellation notices didn't necessarily have their policy cancelled. That many of those people simply switched to another policy outside of the exchanges and many other people who didn't get transferred to another policy simply bought another off exchange policy.

I have no idea how many of that 2.6million got insurance through the exchanges. That is a question.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That's not my argument. That is your argument.

My argument isn't that most of those policy cancellations notices resulted in cancelled policies.
We can only assume a good many of them did result in people losing their insurance. So stop calling people out and insulting them, just because you think maybe this or that happened, a little differently then someone else thinks it might have.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Gallup Poll is reporting that 4% of Americans are newly insured in their most recent poll. That means that 12 million Americans who didnt have insurance last year now have insurance. This of course includes Medicaid. Whats wrong with 12 million people who didnt have insurance now getting insurance?

Four Percent of Americans Are Newly Insured in 2014
yep, that matches the graph I've been using

But your synopsis is wrong.

They WERE insured, but LOST their insurance.. 2013 held 16.3% uninsured, we're down to 15.9%, a .4% drop.. not 4%

And consider we added 4-5 million onto medicaid, which is about 1.5% of the country, this actually means the net effect of ACA other than medicaid is a LOSS of insured individuals to the tune of 1.1% of the nation..

And, this ignores that the employer mandate has been delayed.. I wonder why they would delay the mandate that they say will benefit most americans

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
I didn't say no one lost insurance because of the ACA. I said that most of the people who received policy cancellation notices didn't necessarily have their policy cancelled. That many of those people simply switched to another policy outside of the exchanges and many other people who didn't get transferred to another policy simply bought another off exchange policy.

I have no idea how many of that 2.6million got insurance through the exchanges. That is a question.
Most? Based on what, your gut feeling. So how about you drop all of this contention over whether it was 2.6 million, or 2 million, it's nothing more than one person's guesstimate over another. Geeez.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
No that's not what that means. Can you all read for comprehension? It means that 2.6million might have gotten cancellation notices. It doesn't mean they lost their insurance. Millions of the previously insured bought off exchange insurance policies.

That you all don't know this doesn't speak well to understanding the impact of the law.
You should stop telling other people they can't read for comprehension.

The lowball 2.6 million from the liberal Urban Institute are people who lost insurance because their policies were illegal under Ocare and had to be cancelled. Sure, x number then bought new insurance somewhere else. It's trickery for you, CBO, Gallup, or anyone else to count the x as newly insured under Ocare.

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What is a cancellation notice if not a cancellation notice?

Why dont you stop embarassing yourself and admit that the newly insured figures being promoted are A LIE because some of them had insurance but obtained insurance through the exachange and thus arent newly insured?
LOL, some of the cancellation notices were like this policy is no longer compliant, but this other policy is compliant and we are transferring you to this policy. Some of those people did get their policies cancelled and simply went to another bought an off exchange policy.

Quote:

This whole tyraid from you started when I suggested that people bought insurance on the exchange who lost insurance. Cancellation notices are just that.. Cancellations..

And since you have no idea how many of these individuals obtained insurance then I have to ask why you've spent PAGES arguing with me that this didnt take place.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,786,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Gallup Poll is reporting that 4% of Americans are newly insured in their most recent poll. That means that 12 million Americans who didnt have insurance last year now have insurance. This of course includes Medicaid. Whats wrong with 12 million people who didnt have insurance now getting insurance?

Four Percent of Americans Are Newly Insured in 2014
You do realize they count "newly" insured on the exchanges. They count 50% (2.1% of US population) those having policies canceled by Obama end of last year and having to re buy insurance on or off the exchanges as being "newly insured".

And remaining 1.9% "newly insured". That's a nice number. Yet 7.2 million Americans obtain insurance obtain insurance jobs. None of it has to be due to the ACA.

There is nothing wrong with 12 million people getting insurance. What's the issue is they are trying to use these inflated numbers and piggy back the ACA is working.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
LOL, some of the cancellation notices were like this policy is no longer compliant, but this other policy is compliant and we are transferring you to this policy. Some of those people did get their policies cancelled and simply went to another bought an off exchange policy.
WRONG.. Transferring people to a new policy wouldnt explain the spike in the uninsured because they wouldnt have had a laps in insurance..

Once again, the uninsured spiked from 16.3% to 18% of the country. With 300+ million individuals this means that 5.1 million individuals lost insurance at the end of 2013 for various reasons. Some of them due to ACA and others for different reasons.

Transferring policies wouldnt increase the uninsured numbers, so explain for me the spike.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,786,273 times
Quote:
But the white house is counting these people as being "newly insured".

Don't you have a problem with this. We can play semantics all day long. Newly insured can be played many ways. But the common american public thinks newly insured means someone who went months or even years without insurance and finally got health insurance. Not someone who's policy ended December 31 2013 and got a "new" policy on Jan 1 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies