Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
So it's not about being able to be with someone you love and the benefits.

That's what I thought.

If it was, then there would be respect for the religious beliefs on the word, marriage.

Why should it matter to you what it is called - if all you want is to be with the person you love and have the benefits?

Now who is the bigot?
Your religious beliefs do not trump my legal ability to use a word. You do not own the word, you do not hold a copyright on the word, your church does not own the word. Get over it, me calling myself married does no harm to your religion. Your religious beliefs are just that YOURS, not mine. They have no legal hold over me or my life.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
There are tens of thousands of people who supported Proposition 8–do they all deserve to be bullied and persecuted until they lose their jobs?
If so, Intel is next.

Intel could be next target for pro-gay marriage campaigners - TechEye

Apple products have Intel PCUs. Ditch the iPhones, iPads, and iPods, etc.

Apple's transition to Intel processors

Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I wonder how many Mozilla users were even aware that this company had a mission statement or what their company values are. Probably almost none. People just want to use the product. The reality is that Mozilla caved to fear of a PR backlash from the gay community. This would have never happened a few years ago.

You are right in that many other companies will follow.
Many of the posters in this thread had no idea (and probably still don't) about what Mozilla is. It's a two part organization - Non Profit Foundation with it's own CEO - Mitchell Baker, and the Mozilla Company.
I've used Mozilla since 2002, when the browser was called Phoenix.

Quote:
Ultimate Decision-Makers
The ultimate decision-maker(s) are trusted members of the community who have the final say in the case of disputes. This is a model followed by many successful open source projects, although most of those communities only have one person in this role, and they are sometimes called the "benevolent dictator". Mozilla has evolved to have two people in this role - Brendan Eich has the final say in any technical dispute and Mitchell Baker has the final say in any non-technical dispute. This has been the case since 1998 for Brendan and 1999 for Mitchell.
There are about 1000 employees and many more thousands of volunteers that comprise the entire Mozilla Community.

Mozilla Mission Statement

Mozilla has policies in place that explicitly and precisely explain how we deal with conflicts between personal beliefs and community inclusiveness. Section (i) of these “Community Participation Guidelines” is directly relevant to Brendan’s situation, and I quote it in its entirety. If you want to understand what has happened at Mozilla, it is absolutely necessary to understand this:

Quote:
(i) Inclusion and Diversity
The Mozilla Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone. It doesn’t matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you: we welcome you. We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they interact constructively with our community, including, but not limited to people of varied age, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender-identity, language, race, sexual orientation, geographical location and religious views.
Mozilla-based activities should be inclusive and should support such diversity.
Some Mozillians may identify with activities or organizations that do not support the same inclusion and diversity standards as Mozilla. When this is the case:
(a) support for exclusionary practices must not be carried into Mozilla activities.
(b) support for exclusionary practices in non-Mozilla activities should not be expressed in Mozilla spaces.
(c) when if (a) and (b) are met, other Mozillians should treat this as a private matter, not a Mozilla issue.
Brendan’s donation in support of Proposition 8 indicates that he identified “with activities or organizations that do not support the same inclusion and diversity standards as Mozilla”. But he scrupulously followed conditions (a) and (b). By paragraph (c), therefore, Brendan’s donation was “a private matter, not a Mozilla issue”. On March 27th, a small number of Mozillians tweeted variants of “I am an employee of @mozilla and I’m asking @brendaneich to step down as CEO”. Most (or perhaps all) of the Mozillians who tweeted this were employed by the Mozilla Foundation, not the Mozilla Corporation which means that they report to the executive director of the foundation and not to the CEO. As foundation employees, they did not share the same org chart as Brendan. There were less than a dozen of these "twitter hit men/women" that chose to join in with Rarebit on the War against Brendan because he made a private donation over 6 years ago to something that had nothing to do with Mozilla. 52% of the voters in California supported Prop 8, over 7 Million people voted for it, the President of the United States supported (and said so) Prop 8 ..... it went to the Supreme Court and was overturned, the co-founders of Rarebit were on the front page of the NY Times the day that happened. This is some sort of sick Revenge - they wallow in it.

Brendan Eich was elevated to CEO on March 24, 2014 - the tweets did not begin until March 27, which is roughly the same time as the OKCupid boycott and one other web-site started a petition against him.
The real beginning of this Greek Tragedy was on March 24 when the co-founders of an Ap startup called Rarebit began the latest War on Brendan. You have to dig deep into tech sites to find that bit of info, but I confirmed it on the Rarebit website.

Goodbye, Firefox Marketplace

Of course they are now "so sad" about Brendan's resignation and "never thought it would go this far" - full of crocodile tears as they begin to comprehend the unintended consequences of their actions.
Open Source is important - Mozilla not only stood for that, they pioneered it and it's almost their total Mission. I have no idea if they can gain back some of the ground they lost and know they are also worried about it. People are not only dumping Firefox as fast as the can, they have lost faith in Mozilla itself and no longer volunteer .... and then there is the issue of the giant, irreplaceable loss of the Technical Leader and the internal issues of how he was forced out by a media storm and a few of their own Foundation twitterers who are more Activist that Mozilla Mission.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So you think the majority of Californian's should lose their jobs too? Because they did the same thing.
Are those Californians public figures? Are they the face of a billion dollar corporation that would rather not offend millions of current or potential customers? Then it's not the same thing.

Right-wingers act like this CEO was forced out by the government. He was forced out by the bad publicity Mozilla would rather not have.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM

872 posts, read 827,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Are those Californians public figures? Are they the face of a billion dollar corporation that would rather not offend millions of current or potential customers? Then it's not the same thing.

Right-wingers act like this CEO was forced out by the government. He was forced out by the bad publicity Mozilla would rather not have.

And after 6 years it was going to all of sudden cause bad publicity?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The gays claim to be an oppressed and powerless minority. Yet if you offend them, your career is over before sundown. No other modern group or institution (the church, the army, the government, the oil companies) has that power.
Very true, but they only have that power because the nation of fools that America has become gave it to them.

This bizarre PC era will be very short lived - a microdot on the timeline of history. But I fear that its end may well coincide with the end of the USA. We have done nothing but fritter away the last 30 years with ever-increasing suicidal PC silliness while some other nations marched forward with focus on rational priorities.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,712 times
wow there is a whole force to boycott firefox think I will join them
I do not cotton to be told what to believe especially by a bunch of bullies on the gay left!!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,206,712 times
Default new boycott of Fire Fox

I have heard several folks now that as a reaction to the rabid gay left getting their CEO fired
to now they will boycott them as well!
Interesting I must say I agree I will be damned if I am going to have anyone like these jerks
thinking they can ruin someone for something they did privately 6 years ago!
These people have more hate I think than the race baiters~
they wanted legal marriage, great, they got it
but now if everyone is not waving rainbow flags they want to destroy them
I can not stand folks who bully
even several people who have been out spoken for gay marriage are speaking out
I say bring it on!!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Very true, but they only have that power because the nation of fools that America has become gave it to them.

This bizarre PC era will be very short lived - a microdot on the timeline of history. But I fear that its end may well coincide with the end of the USA. We have done nothing but fritter away the last 30 years with ever-increasing suicidal PC silliness while some other nations marched forward with focus on rational priorities.
Yes, thank God we can soon go back to Jim Crow, women as sexual property and the freedom to call people derogatory names based on their ethnicity!

Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
I've used firefox for years. Crazy libs won't change my browser preference. Google is in cahoots with big bro anyway so chrome is not an option and IE sucks. I will roll with it. Too bad Bill Gates didn't donate to something years ago that the crazy libs don't like and they would have to boycott windows. Would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies