Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why would she address this and not the drug problems, woman abuse, unwanted babies, dog fighting, children left home alone, children with no dad or getting jobs over joining gangs?

Much to talk about to people starting off in life, than being a victim in the year 2014!
You know damn well that even if she did, the RWNJs would be complaining loudly and bitterly.
If they had nothing to complain about, they'd dry up and blow away. Acting offended, being bitter and non-stop complaining is their raison d'etre.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:21 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
It's not the place of the wife of an elected official to form the opinion of my child based on her wants or opinions on how the world should be viewed. Right or wrong (in anyone else's opinion), it's my child and people like her have ZERO place in raising or educating my child.

You do realize that in most high school Commencement speeches, the speaker tells the students to take charge and take on certain things correct?

Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
It's not the place of the wife of an elected official to form the opinion of my child based on her wants or opinions on how the world should be viewed. Right or wrong (in anyone else's opinion), it's my child and people like her have ZERO place in raising or educating my child.
It isn't how she wants the world to view this subject. Pretty much cut and dried that in the USA you aren't supposed to do racist things.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You do realize that in most high school Commencement speeches, the speaker tells the students to take charge and take on certain things correct?
I've never before heard a commencement speaker encourage graduates to cause dissension within their own family by challenging family values or practices for the purpose of promoting that speakers' societal agenda. This is well in line with the mandate to push the Obamacare debacle at family gatherings during the holidays. The First Lady of the United States is supposed to be in a respected position. This particular First Lady is pulling the dignity that was once part of that tradition through the mud. Not that she cares at all, as long as their agenda is pushed, right?

Old 05-19-2014, 03:52 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Quote:
I've never before heard a commencement speaker encourage graduates to cause dissension within their own family by challenging family values or practices for the purpose of promoting that speakers' societal agenda. This is well in line with the mandate to push the Obamacare debacle at family gatherings during the holidays. The First Lady of the United States is supposed to be in a respected position. This particular First Lady is pulling the dignity that was once part of that tradition through the mud. Not that she cares at all, as long as their agenda is pushed, right?
JUST SAY NO! That phrase got a few parents turned in by their own kids.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
JUST SAY NO! That phrase got a few parents turned in by their own kids.
If what the parents were doing was illegal, where's the problem? And can you please provide a reference to this ever happening, not just anecdotal tales?

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
I've never before heard a commencement speaker encourage graduates to cause dissension within their own family by challenging family values or practices for the purpose of promoting that speakers' societal agenda. This is well in line with the mandate to push the Obamacare debacle at family gatherings during the holidays.

There are differences of opinion on Obamacare, so I agree that discussion should not have been pushed, but I had no idea there were differences of opinion on the "merits" of racism. (Might have been discussed at those TP rallies, I suppose.)

Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

There are differences of opinion on Obamacare, so I agree that discussion should not have been pushed, but I had no idea there were differences of opinion on the "merits" of racism. (Might have been discussed at those TP rallies, I suppose.)
That poster is being absurd, first and even if Michelle Obama said talk to your parents about the ACA, that wouldn't be wrong either.

In fact, politicians always tell people who agree with them to go out into their communities and families and talk about this or that.

This is just plain hum drum regular political talking.

It is done all the time and about all kinds of topics.

The idea that a politician saying to people hey I think this and if you agree with me go talk in your communities and families about this, is some radical new thing ignores reality.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Pre TP, the Republican party members would logically never disagree with the comments Michelle Obama made. They would have encouraged such a dialogue.

Causation?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The First Lady has always been considered the role model for family values, there is nothing wrong with what Michelle has been doing.
Yes, the family value of encouraging children to keep on the lookout for racism in their relatives and coworkers, and tell children than respecting and listening to their elder family members they should be dragging them towards a new way of thinking. What an inspiring message. Doesn't really matter what the message here is. Of course racism is bad. But sowing distrust in children of their family members, friends, and coworkers is very, very wrong. No matter what it is about. Nobody has any business whatsoever telling kids to keep on the lookout for incorrect thinking on the part of their relatives. That's completely inappropriate and has nothing to do with family values. Family values does not involve telling children to correct the opinions of their parents to be more in line with approved thinking.

And the advice for the workplace was utterly horrendous as well. Can you imagine the reaction of your manager if you're sitting in a sales meeting and in the middle of quarterly sales projections you speak up and say "Excuse me, but do we have enough black people attending this meeting?" That's just boneheaded stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies