Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why is this even a thread?

Cuban has a right to feel anyway he wants to feel.

Big deal.
I think Cuban brought this up because he did think Sterling was treated somewhat unfairly. I also think Cuban was trying to start an actual dialog about race, but it was not expressed as he meant it to be. He later apologized to Trayvon Martin's parents for the the example he used. I commend him for attempting to begin an honest discussion about race. He also mentioned fear of white bald guys covered in tattoos, so I think he is attempting to discuss sterotypes and fear of certain stereotypes for specific reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,503 times
I bet if Cuban sees a black or white guy in Khakis and a polo shirt, he doesn't cross to the other side of the street. He may not hardly even notice them if he is busy with other things.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:42 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I bet if Cuban sees a black or white guy in Khakis and a polo shirt, he doesn't cross to the other side of the street. He may not hardly even notice them if he is busy with other things.
Why does that matter? I'm a black guy that wears polos. I also wear hoodies when I exercise because it is cold as hell where I live. Does that mean I should be weary of trigger happy white people? Does this make me a thug?

I appreciate Mark Cuban's cander, but his comments are stupid. Fearing a black person in a hoodie is irrational. Less than 2% of black males commit a crime in a given year.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM

28,922 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Just because a black kid would have a hoodie on, he'll cross the street?

That's stupid and weak.
not these days and if your alone.....oh no, not weak in the least. Its called self preservation....and in Philly they deal with it every single day of their lives....

Old 05-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why does that matter? I'm a black guy that wears polos. I also wear hoodies when I exercise because it is cold as hell where I live. Does that mean I should be weary of trigger happy white people? Does this make me a thug?

I appreciate Mark Cuban's cander, but his comments are stupid. Fearing a black person in a hoodie is irrational. Less than 2% of black males commit a crime in a given year.
irrational....if I were walking down the street alone, and I'd see any kid in a hoodie walking towards me, don't care what color his skin is, I'd be very cautious....depends where you grew up and what you saw....kids are getting shot at every stinking day....

Wake up America

Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 PM

Opin_Yunated
Less than 2% of black males commit a crime in a given year.

that is bull, and you believe that? are you kidding me, go talk to the people in NYC or Philly then come back and post a statement like that.

In prisions alone, the common nationalities are blacks and mexicans

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Each case is a judgment call, regardless of race.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Opin_Yunated
Less than 2% of black males commit a crime in a given year.

that is bull, and you believe that? are you kidding me, go talk to the people in NYC or Philly then come back and post a statement like that.

In prisions alone, the common nationalities are blacks and mexicans

You can look at the FBI data yourself. Most people who are in prison are black or brown, yes... but most black or brown people are not criminals. The data says very few.

NYC's violent crime rate is actually extremely low for a Metro its size.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Each case is a judgment call, regardless of race.
Yes. I am calling it a very poor judgment call. It is a poor judgment call that affects the victim of such prejudice... like if I were to accidentally wander too close to a trigger happy folk's lawn while running on the sidewalk. Ooops... I looked "threatening." Guess I deserve to die?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
I just feel anyone wearing a hoodie looks crazy. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies