Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times

Advertisements

Yes they are. Read your link these organizations don't qualify.

It is a massive scam. By allowing these organizations to be tax exempt we increase the incentive for extremely wealthy people to spend a lot of money on politics and thus exponentially increase the power that the very wealthy have over elections, candidates, government.

It should stop.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If she isn't guilty then just answer the damn questions. It's that simple. But hey while they are at it, LOSING 2 years of emails doesn't help us to the "bottom of it".

And yet you try desperately to defend it.
She's taken the fifth. No one can make her talk now except a Federal Judge or a Congressional Committee that grants her immunity. So its really not that simple.

I agree losing emails does not help. But, I don't agree it indicates some grand conspiracy on the part of either Lerner or the IRS. If there is a crime, coverup and/or conspiracy, there will be somewhere more evidence of it than just her emails. So far that has not come to light.

Maybe it will. Maybe it wont. I am content to let the investigations play out.

And, I would suggest you become content with that because it is quite clear the Republican led committees intend to play it out until the next election.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Grassley got Lener's and Lerner got Grassley's envelope with the invitations in them.

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/upload...s_grassley.pdf
I was speaking about Lerner sending out other people's private tax information to groups that had no business getting it. Besides that, the stories have been all over the place on the invitations.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
She's taken the fifth. No one can make her talk now except a Federal Judge or a Congressional Committee that grants her immunity. So its really not that simple.

I agree losing emails does not help. But, I don't agree it indicates some grand conspiracy on the part of either Lerner or the IRS. If there is a crime, coverup and/or conspiracy, there will be somewhere more evidence of it than just her emails. So far that has not come to light.

Maybe it will. Maybe it wont. I am content to let the investigations play out.

And, I would suggest you become content with that because it is quite clear the Republican led committees intend to play it out until the next election.
If there is no wrong doing then she would talk. Then of course they don't want anyone to read the emails so

POOF!

Very convenient and they think ALL Americans are idiots.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The law as written actually says these organizations(I am paraphrasing) have to be not for profit and run exclusively for the promotion of social welfare.
That is NOT the definition of a c4 tax exemption so I see no need to read further.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yeah that is my point. The mechanism that sends out FOI requests is likely quite ad hoc. They get a list in from pro publica and some clerical is missioned to pull them together and then sort what can be sent and can't be. And she does not get the piles quite straight.

The question as to whether the organization is doing any good is probably one of how long it takes and how much it costs to determine the proper status for each application that flows through the process.

But that has little if anything to do with fulfilling an FOI request from pro publica.

But overall I think they show a relatively low level of competence at least in the areas requiring initiative. They blew the Tea Party applications no matter what you think about them. Looks to me like a bunch of lawyers with a hot potato that discussed it until the place burned down...
FOI requests do not include the private tax information of others.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Um, this is Washington we're talking about. Nothing moves these people unless it's in the news and people are interested in it. Americans have the attention span of gnats. Simply finding out someone lied to congress doesn't matter unless it involves the general public finding out. That's something that should be looked upon as a good thing when stonewalling, lying outright, lying by omission, wars of attrition, etc. etc. etc. are occurring in what is pretty much the strongest department in the entire U.S. The IRS is basically responsible for collecting the money to fund the U.S. and to find out it's not applying those standards in a fair and impartial way is something to worry about on so many levels.
Wow...not how I want Congress to operate......as a circus sideshow....but if your ok with it well ok.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Wow...not how I want Congress to operate......as a circus sideshow....but if your ok with it well ok.
If you can find, or have, proof of a government that doesn't operate on politicking then please guide me to the book, story, link, email, snail mail or message in a bottle where it's at.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If there is no wrong doing then she would talk. Then of course they don't want anyone to read the emails so

POOF!

Very convenient and they think ALL Americans are idiots.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Are you aware that any lawyer in the country would tell you if you are arrested to keep your mouth shut and not say anything to the police? They would tell you that whether you are innocent or guilty.

And of course under the fifth amendment you are entitled not to say anything.

She is invoking her constitution rights. Some don't agree she invoked them correctly. I suspect ultimately that will be decided by a federal judge.

Or maybe not. Not outside the realm of possibility that the Republicans no longer even want her to testify after reviewing everything else the IRS has provided. Sort of a reverse conspiracy theory for you to chew on.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
If you can find, or have, proof of a government that doesn't operate on politicking then please guide me to the book, story, link, email, snail mail or message in a bottle where it's at.
I've said before its all political theater by the Republicans in charge of these committees. So we agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies