Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That is NOT the definition of a c4 tax exemption so I see no need to read further.
He's correct. That is what the law says......exclusively for social welfare.

The IRS wrote the regulation to say "primarily" for social welfare.

End result, they can engage in political activity as long as they engage primarily in social welfare.

How that's defined is where it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

But, lets be real, does anyone think that tea party orgs were primarily engaged in social welfare as opposed to political activity?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you don't even know what the issue is???

The issue is TIME not IF.

Again why was Obama's brother who operated illegally for years fast tracked within a month approved and made retroactive while Obama's political enemies took 3 years (past the elections)
You need to look at the post I responded. Heck, you clearly need to read my posts where I repeatedly made the point that it is impossible to believe that this whole conspiracy was all about delaying some conservative and liberal groups from getting tax exempt status.

Karl Roves 501c-4 crossroads was founded in 2010 and was extremely active in the 2012 elections

Freedom Works 501c-4 was founded in 2011 and was extremely active in the 2012 elections.

I didn't even get into the club for growth, the Koch brothers, Sheldon Adelson

That's just two examples.

The idea that conservatives were shut out of the spending in the 2012 presidential election because of a lack of political organizations who were given 501c-4 tax exemption is pure fantasy.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

The idea that conservatives were shut out of the spending in the 2012 presidential election because of a lack of political organizations who were given 501c-4 tax exemption is pure fantasy.
100% of tea party groups had their applications flagged and delayed.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I've said before its all political theater by the Republicans in charge of these committees. So we agree.
Oh, and democrats are above all that?

What, you want republicans to sit around and let democrats demagogue them with no response or no pointing out how hypocritical they are? It's like the old saying about if something has teeth it bites. If it involves people it's political. I think it's fair considering the biggest federal government unions donate almost entirely to the Democratic Party. It's the closest thing you'll ever see to perpetual motion.

Somewhere someone has to put that abuse of the system in check or democrats would literally blow the budget buying votes and enlarging the government and we'd (are) becoming a one party ruled totalitarian police state.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
I've said before its all political theater by the Republicans in charge of these committees. So we agree.
I've watched both of these hearings and other than Duckworth the Democrats spent nearly all of their time going after Republicans. Why isn't they didn't use that time to dispel this controversy?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes they are. Read your link these organizations don't qualify.

It is a massive scam. By allowing these organizations to be tax exempt we increase the incentive for extremely wealthy people to spend a lot of money on politics and thus exponentially increase the power that the very wealthy have over elections, candidates, government.

It should stop.
And, not just the wealthy. Citizens United ruling makes it possible for corporations to pour money into these organizations with no one knowing.

The main attraction for these organizations is that unlike other exempt organizations they don't have to publish their donors for the public to see.

Millions of dark dollars going into these organizations to buy politicians/elections. Is that what Americans want. I doubt it.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,056 times
I agree with Ron Paul. No accountability and rampant lawlessness? Shut it down. Make them unemployed. I think that too many people in government are getting passes for criminal behavior and excuses none of us would get by on.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Oh, and democrats are above all that?

What, you want republicans to sit around and let democrats demagogue them with no response or no pointing out how hypocritical they are? It's like the old saying about if something has teeth it bites. If it involves people it's political. I think it's fair considering the biggest federal government unions donate almost entirely to the Democratic Party. It's the closest thing you'll ever see to perpetual motion.

Somewhere someone has to put that abuse of the system in check or democrats would literally blow the budget buying votes and enlarging the government and we'd (are) becoming a one party ruled totalitarian police state.
Democrats are not above it.

No reason Republicans need to sink to an unseemly level.

If there is corruption find it.

I want the IRS to do what is right. I expect the same from Congress.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
As far as I know it is not illegal. Do you think its conduct becoming a Congressman who is supposedly conducting a serious investigation?

Didn't we already discuss the release of info to National Org for Marriage? I said if they know who released the info they should refer them to the US Attorney for prosecution. Apparently, they don't know who released the info.

I don't know who Harry Reid's secret informant was. What did they inform him of?
Yet you keep bringing it up as if it is illegal... fail!

Do you think it's "conduct becoming" for a president to lie to American citizens to get a law passed? Do you think it's conduct becoming for congressmen to call Americans terrorist, arsonist etc?

We can talk all night about all "politicians" who are not conduct becoming.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
And, not just the wealthy. Citizens United ruling makes it possible for corporations to pour money into these organizations with no one knowing.

The main attraction for these organizations is that unlike other exempt organizations they don't have to publish their donors for the public to see.

Millions of dark dollars going into these organizations to buy politicians/elections. Is that what Americans want. I doubt it.
Oh you mean like this...

Tom Steyer former hedge fund manager giving $100 million to keep democrats beholden to climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies