Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Now that is offensive.. cowboy .. it should be cattlemen...
Offensive to cowgirls everywhere which is offensive to the milk-producing gender of bovines as well. Where have all the bullmen gone. Oh, wait! They're all in Washington.

And what are we to do about this now - Great White Father, Americanism; possibly used for the U.S. president by American Indians in the 19th century.

And what's up with "White House? Who does that offend?

By the way, I'm offended by hyphenated American as a descriptor. You're either an American or belong in your obviously preferred country.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-22-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:05 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
People it is a game, grow up. No really grow up, these are not things that we should care about at all. Again is this giving back the privacy we had in 2001??? Is this giving us back the lives that was lost since 2001????? No, your whining over mascots.

Speaking of which I think A car company ( Dodge? ) sued a college over the Rams symbol?? The college had that symbol first but a car company needed it??? I think things like that needs to be disputed.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The Fighting Irish name was given to the sports teams of an Irish Catholic school by the Irish Catholics who ran the school.

You're the second person on the same page of this thread to try and make this incredibly stupid comparison.
And you are the only person who posts an incredibly stupid , hipocritical defense of this slur.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
I am offended by the name City Data.. what about all those people who live in the country????..don't they count?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I find the "Washington" part of the name to be offensive
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Cry me a river......

Cleveland Browns..... offending turds everywhere!

CHANGE IT!!!

Now...now... WhipperSnapper!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It's a movie... is that what dictates to you?

If the Indians were calling us white skins I guess that would be offensive to your thinking.. I am not offended if someone says white skin. It is just pigment in the skin that creates color.

I am not offended by saying the color of ones skin.. their skin color is factual and God created us with differences. So what is sooo offensive.
I love it when white people decide what's offensive for other ethnicities. It's so refreshingly arrogant.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And just the opposite can be claimed.

Your argument is that the word is offensive simply because you are offended by it, that is flawed logic at its worst!
Nope.

Intelligent people of goodwill listen to the ethnicity in question and let them tell us what they think. We don't decide for them, unlike you.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It would not bother me at all. Only thin skinned people who want to tell others how to live would be offended.
Bwahahahahahahahaha. Said the white guy telling Indians what they're allowed to think and feel.

You can't make this stuff up.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the name means to you. It's offensive to peaceful Irish people.
Says who?

Oh, wait, I know. You made that up! Silly me.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Redskins was never intended to be racist either. Have you read the owners comments. I doubt you have.
I have. It doesn't matter, either. He was a white guy whose entire cultural upbringing endorsed the casual use of a racial slur so that he thought he was honoring someone.

He wasn't, and nowadays Indians are empowered to actually say so, as they weren't then.

It was a racial slur in many parts of the country when the team was founded. Period. Historical fact is historical fact, whatever the dumba$$ thought at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies