Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The Fighting Irish name was given to the sports teams of an Irish Catholic school by the Irish Catholics who ran the school.

You're the second person on the same page of this thread to try and make this incredibly stupid comparison.
It is rather stunning, isn't it? When one stupid thing doesn't work, they grab another one. Wash, rinse, repeat. Meanwhile, it's absolutely NOTHING to do with their lives. I wonder why it's so important to them to be able to say "Redskin" with impunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
49:ers is offensive.

Go Hawks!

I find the Vikings and Cowboys to be offensive. In the Big Ten, I really hate the gophers. All three are terribly offensive and they should change thier names to the Vi-Queens, Cowgirls, and the Rodents, respectively.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Five, huh?

I do believe you made that up. I wonder why you would do that?

New Study Finds 67% Of Native Americans Find Redskins Name Offensive
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler...by-racial-slur
Three hours later and none of the bigots want to touch this statistic with a 10-foot pole. Imagine that!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I find the Vikings and Cowboys to be offensive. In the Big Ten, I really hate the gophers. All three are terribly offensive and they should change thier names to the Vi-Queens, Cowgirls, and the Rodents, respectively.
Vi-Queens? Packers fan, eh? Just asking, because that is the nickname Packers fans give to the Vikings.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And you are the only person who posts an incredibly stupid , hipocritical defense of this slur.

It's not a defense. It's not a slur when used in that context.

You shouldn't call other people's posts stupid if you don't even understand "context."

Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Growing up I always wanted to play football in the Rubber Bowl in Akron Ohio being a TROJAN in HS but the name always sounded like something being used and then flushed away.Yes the name TROJANS is offending to me...

Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Vi-Queens?
We called them that all the time, when I lived in Minnesota. Especially when they used to win their division by losing their last three games and winding up with a 7-9 record... which was still better than anyone else in their division.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Growing up I always wanted to play football in the Rubber Bowl in Akron Ohio being a TROJAN in HS but the name always sounded like something being used and then flushed away.Yes the name TROJANS is offending to me...
LOL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
We called them that all the time, when I lived in Minnesota. Especially when they used to win their division by losing their last three games and winding up with a 7-9 record... which was still better than anyone else in their division.

I've heard them referenced as such, but mostly by Packers fans.

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
BREAKING NEWS: The Washington Redskins football team is changing its name.

Due to all the negativity, shame, humiliation, dissent, polarity, adversity, defiance, hatred, animosity, contempt, discrimination, division, violence, counter-productivity, ill-spirit, un-Godliness, and hostility associated with their name, they have decided to disassociate themselves from such an ill-conceived and controversial group.

From now on they will be known simply as the Redskins!

36 posts, read 18,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Redskins is offensive, period.
I totally agreee.

http://www.newser.com/story/189021/w...-strategy.html

Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is still adamant about keeping the team name, despite the loss of its trademark status and a growing chorus of critics who say it's offensive to Native Americans. But two marketing professors at Emory University say Snyder is making a boneheaded business decision. Forget the morality of it, this is "managerial malpractice," argue Michael Lewis and Manish Tripathi in the New York Times. They crunched marketing numbers for college programs that have ditched similar names and found that nothing much changed in the first year, but that the teams saw increasing revenue after that.
From this, they conclude that opponents of such moves are a vocal minority, and their threats of boycotts just so much hot air. The professors also found that the two NFL teams with the most "negative brand equity" over the past decade are the Redskins and the Kansas City Chiefs, another team with an American Indian theme. This is "elementary" marketing stuff, they write. Too many people hate the name, even in Washington. Snyder should reach out to American Indian groups, find an alternative that honors instead of offends, and reap the benefits. "In this case, doing the morally right thing is also the correct business decision," they write
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies