Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How does this have bearing on the life of anyone?
Taxes
Schools
The size and scope of government
City, State and National election
Your 2nd, 4th and 10th Amendment rights, keep in mind they do not value freedom and rights.

I mean this really does effect you.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Well said, Banjomike. Re: Post 49.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,765 times
Technically, it is not "our country". Did anyone ask the native Americans about how they felt about their lands become a "white majority" country 200-300 years ago?

Second, everything changes and it is all shades of grey. We carry around this notion that America as a white majority country has been some paradise....well, generally it is only that for a segment of white males. Historically our country has mistreated at least some segment of its population.

Third, how do we really quantify value? Quality of life can mean different things to different people, and it is rather foolhardy to assume yours is the correct assessment just because you think it is. Maybe our nation as a majority minority country will be "better"...no telling.

Finally, everything is incredibly temporary and definitely fleeting...what is here today is gone tomorrow. So there is no real sense in getting too attached.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Who are you to say who America needs or not? Did somebody appoint you the judge?

There has never been a large immigrant group who has moved here and did not face heavy opposition. None has ever assimilated easily since the turn of the 19th century. But they all did assimilate, no matter how the 'native Americans' felt about them. Not all of any group were only the best and brightest, but even the ordinary make their contributions to our mutual well being and our society.
Does America need more poverty?

Does America need more crime?

Does America need more disease?

Does America need more entitlement voters?

Does America need more people who would trade the freedom and rights of other people for handouts?

Answer the questions above..And please dont pull the whole race card have you the problems illegal immigration as caused the South West?

You are comparing legal immigration and illegal immigration well as vastly difference times.

We did not have a welfare system back then nor did we have elected officials buy votes/imporing voter blocks.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Racism no, insecurity yes. I tend to believe that a majority hispanic population especially one that entered illegally that was never expected to assimilate into American culture that being the principles of the constitution and bill of rights will promote doctrine and laws that benefit their motherland over upholding laws of the land.

And if you say nonsense, then why is it common in central and south American countries to rule by corruption, disarm your opposition and use might to rule, lack of a middle class where there is only the poor and the ruling elite which leads to voting in more corruption like Chavez and the bus driver for example. Bribes and exploitation are considered the way things work, and individual rights take a backseat to majority whims?
Please run for office..

If the leftist of this nation want this please move to the 3rd world where you belong.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Does America need more poverty?

Does America need more crime?

Does America need more disease?

Does America need more entitlement voters?

Does America need more people who would trade the freedom and rights of other people for handouts?

Answer the questions above..And please dont pull the whole race card have you the problems illegal immigration as caused the South West?

You are comparing legal immigration and illegal immigration well as vastly difference times.

We did not have a welfare system back then nor did we have elected officials buy votes/imporing voter blocks.
That we did actually. I don't remember the name of the politician, but I heard local politicians would meet new immigrants at Ellis Island.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
No, we are not shutting up nor are we "getting on with it".

Great, so lets secure the borders, and limit immigration to highly skilled labor only.

What do you say?
Only if we can make it retroactive and deport your ancestors.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Sorry, desertdetroiter, I can't rep you again.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Taxes
Schools
The size and scope of government
City, State and National election
Your 2nd, 4th and 10th Amendment rights, keep in mind they do not value freedom and rights.

I mean this really does effect you.
The "game" is always changing. I just adapt accordingly and do the best I can.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'm saying everyone had a hand in it. Consumers wanted cheap prices and companies wanted profits. It's not like we can't enact legislation anytime we want, but we haven't...

People chose it by buying from the guy using illegal labor to build the house or mow the lawn or clean the dishes.The countries that Gunlover was talking about are all easy to get into, but they aren't that desirable. Europe is the most desirable, but also the most difficult to gain entry.
My house was built in 1978, and most likely by some illegals my being in Texas and all, but not nearly as many as today. We do our own lawn and dishes, but I do love Mexican food. In fact, I love Mexicans. I've grown up with them all my life, and have many friends who are of Mexican descent. I'm not against immigration, just illegal immigration.

Back in the 19th and early 20th Century, massive immigration was desirable because everything took a lot of labor to accomplish. But these days too many jobs are automated or left the country. And it's not going to get easier. We're starting to see even more jobs lost to automation, even in the low-skilled area. From self checkout lanes at the grocery store to touch screen menus at restaurants, at what point will employers decide it's easier to have robots than it is to risk strikes and no-shows and pay healthcare and retirement costs for real human beings? I read the other day that there is a hotel in China entirely staffed by robots. Just what a country with a billion people needs, right?

I will never patronize a business that has robot wait staff or touchscreens instead of people. I don't even go to the self checkout lanes at grocery stores if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies