Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Technically, it is not "our country". Did anyone ask the native Americans about how they felt about their lands become a "white majority" country 200-300 years ago?

Second, everything changes and it is all shades of grey. We carry around this notion that America as a white majority country has been some paradise....well, generally it is only that for a segment of white males. Historically our country has mistreated at least some segment of its population.

Third, how do we really quantify value? Quality of life can mean different things to different people, and it is rather foolhardy to assume yours is the correct assessment just because you think it is. Maybe our nation as a majority minority country will be "better"...no telling.

Finally, everything is incredibly temporary and definitely fleeting...what is here today is gone tomorrow. So there is no real sense in getting too attached.
Well ours is.

We Invented the Assembly line
We Harnessed Electricity
We Massed proceed the Model T
We Invented powered Flight
We Harnessed the power of the Atom
We Fought and won Two World Wars
We Broke the Sound Barrier
We Landed on the Moon
We Mapped the Human Genome
We Invented the Internet

What do we have to be ashamed about? We have done this in the last 235 years We're less than 300 years old. We are younger than nations that have been on this planet for thousands of years. We, nevertheless, in less than 300 years -- by the way, we're no different than any other human beings around the world. Our DNA is no different. We're not better just because we're born in America. There's nothing that sets us apart. How did this happen? How did the United States of America become the world's lone super power, the world's economic engine, the most prosperous opportunity for an advanced lifestyle that humanity has ever known? How did this happen?

Because Liberty Works, Free Men, Free Minds, Free Markets, A Safe and Predicable, A System that Protects Property Rights, A Government with Strict Limits on its Power, And a Well-Armed Citizenry to Preserve the Means of Keeping and in some cases Restoring Liberty from Tyranny has Produced Such Success, It Should Be Self-Evident.

All of which are based on and created by Western Civilization.

Quote:
Maybe our nation as a majority minority country will be "better"...no telling.
Yeah history has proven other wise..And to be honest we are risking to much for no real gain..We know what works and and don`t want that to change.

Why are fully minority nations not all ready for the most part not "better"? Answer that one.

Quote:
Finally, everything is incredibly temporary and definitely fleeting...what is here today is gone tomorrow. So there is no real sense in getting too attached.
Yeah that nihilistic mentality never builds anything of value, that is why we as Westerns Civilization have rejected it.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The "game" is always changing. I just adapt accordingly and do the best I can.
I it being rigged, not changing...You are O.K with one party importing poverty and voters to win?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'll bet that the same things were said about the op's ancestors when they were immigrating.
See my post above re: automation and offshoring of jobs.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That we did actually. I don't remember the name of the politician, but I heard local politicians would meet new immigrants at Ellis Island.
Did they allow them to come in illegally?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Only if we can make it retroactive and deport your ancestors.
No, I love this nation and want to restore it..I am not going anywhere.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
A lot of posters keep emphasizing on color like "browning up" and keep saying those questioning the future of immigration are looking at a person's color in worry.

It is not about that, at least with me. I am looking at this wondering what the future will be in American culture especially political culture when mass influxes of immigrants are allowed in without demanding or expecting them to learn about American founding principles or take a oath of loyalty.

If there was a mass influx of white Russian people who wanted to promote communism and if there was also a mass influx of Africans who wanted to conserve the founding principles of the constitution I would applaud and welcome the Africans and fight to stop the immigration of the Russians.

It is not about racism to ones color, it is about will people be progressive to move away from the constitution and bill of rights or will they be conservative to conserve freedoms and individuality we have known since 1776.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,227 times
We have a different experience here in Florida, but our immigration is different here too--not from Honduras and Columbia. There are many, many who want to work, and will work hard, but the quality is just not there, and they don't understand it. We have gone behind a lot of companies to fix their work.

Many contractors hire illegals here. We get a lot of jobs just because we carry workers' comp, but workers' comp is different here too. Florida is a state with huge fraud for workers' comp. All of our employees are legal. We always let our residential customers know that, at least in Florida, if a company has illegal immigrants or US citizens working on their property, the homeowner needs to ask for the liability and workers' comp coverage. We let them know if the company the homeowner hires does not cover them with workers' comp, if they are hurt on the homeowner's property, the homeowner could be liable for their medical care and could be sued by the person that is hurt. We work with a roofing company, plumbers and other trades that verify legal status, have workers' comp, and do quality work for a good price, and we refer our customers to them if they need roofing work or other work.

There are a lot of fly by night companies here. A whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Color has nothing to do with it. It's a cultural thing.

If you are on about Hispanics, my personal experience in hiring them over the last 25 years has been that they have a far superior work ethic to either their white or black counterparts. They show up on time, come looking for more work when they finish a task, and smile when you tell them that overtime is needed. The best employees I ever had came from Honduras and Colombia. The biggest problem was, I could never get enough of them. If they "took anybody's job", that's the reason.

Everyone else needs to up their game. If they don't, they should be afraid of becoming obsolete.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Did they allow them to come in illegally?
No and I don't support illegal immigration. HOWEVER, your thread is about becoming a minority majority country... I would much prefer a skilled immigrant program like Canada and Australia have, but I don't care that new immigrants aren't white.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Does America need more poverty?

Does America need more crime?

Does America need more disease?

Does America need more entitlement voters?

Does America need more people who would trade the freedom and rights of other people for handouts?

Answer the questions above..And please dont pull the whole race card have you the problems illegal immigration as caused the South West?

You are comparing legal immigration and illegal immigration well as vastly difference times.

We did not have a welfare system back then nor did we have elected officials buy votes/importing voter blocks.
I dunno. It's been around since W was in office, anyway. Bush did his level damnedest to get a general amnesty declared for the illegals with the idea that they might form a reliable voting block for the republicans. Congress shot him out of the saddle. Obama tried it with the same result.

Here's a short recap of how the last two presidents have handled the issue.

Like Obama, George W. Bush Let Illegal Immigrants Stay and Work | Mother Jones

Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Color has nothing to do with it. It's a cultural thing.

If you are on about Hispanics, my personal experience in hiring them over the last 25 years has been that they have a far superior work ethic to either their white or black counterparts. They show up on time, come looking for more work when they finish a task, and smile when you tell them that overtime is needed. The best employees I ever had came from Honduras and Colombia. The biggest problem was, I could never get enough of them. If they "took anybody's job", that's the reason.

Everyone else needs to up their game. If they don't, they should be afraid of becoming obsolete.
So, American citizens need to up their game and take jobs making minimum wage that used to be paid fairly? Remember when window washers on high rises used to make very good money? Not here anymore. Those guys start out at $10.00/hour now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies