Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,854,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well today the government is going to process 100 visas a week from the three hot spots in Africa.
Makes you sleep well does it not?
What morons we have in power......
Just think how many people one a week could infect let alone 100.
I had not heard this. Do you have a source, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 12:52 PM

39,118 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I posted last night that this Texas experience was priceless.

It has and will continue to serve as the needed wake-up call for the world.
Duncan's family and the two nurses would probably disagree.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is not a single developed country with modern health care systems in the entire world that is restricting travel from west African nations. Health experts are virtually unanimous that such measures are both unnecessary and ineffective. Of course, the right wing is not known to be swayed by science and expert opinion. No, rather the health professionals are all morons and the right wing talk hosts are the ones to listen to.
The most serious international push back seems to be coming from unions, nurses, flight attendants.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,537,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
yeah, you might have something there. Why bother with any "silly" rules/laws of any kind because we can't achieve utopia with them. So let's take your concept/idea to everything and end the farce and pretty much have no laws, boundaries, or rules? Murderers? Geez, people are going to murder anyways, so why bother with "silly" laws for those who murder....or rape....people who steal things.....speed.....drive drunk...embezzle...kidnap.....on and on and on. Why bother.
Oh, do you have a law now regarding travel from foreign countries?

Do you presently have a tracking system up and running that includes the interaction travellers through the worlds many airports have with travellers, or services used by those travellers, from other destinations, most notably the hot zones?

Do you have a lie detector like testing capability that ascertains the veracity of statements made by foreign travellers to include who or what they may have had contact with during their flight from India that touched down and had a lay-over in Paris where the traveller, an American, sat in on a poker game in his hotel with a bunch of guys all returning from oil field work in Liberia?

'Cause, you know, if you do not have that ability or cannot institute it, then your travel ban will only affect the limited numbers coming from target areas and virtually ignore or be totally ineffectual in stopping the virus entering on the returning thousands of Americans who have travelled through any one of the thousands of international airports in their journey homeward from wherever.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,219,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
AAAAARGH! Stop posting your misinformation.

Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia has been designated a ready hospital and will take any kids with the virus. They've been training since August, under their own initiative. They aren't the only ones.

For gods' sake a great deal of the extra expense and potential livelihood killers caused by panic due to misinformation is down to you and people like you.

Nobody stands a chance against it, not the govt, not the state govts, not the CDC, the dept of H&HS, the airlines or the bridal shop owners.

Quit it.

no excuse me this is widely known I live in Atlanta and I have gotten this from Emory
I have not done one thing to spread panic so back off
even the research hospital in Maryland where they sent the young nurse has said THEY know NOTHING of Ebola and are HOPING to LEARN I heard the Chief of staff himself say this!!! His is the largest hospital in the world
go check the facts
hell the quack from the CDC is saying any hospital will do they just need a private room and a bath
I am not in a panic I am talking about this as I have every right to do so

Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Nice talking point.

There are 4 hospitals in the US prepared to deal with Ebola patients.

Letting the flights continue will cost billions of dollars in the end, and will likely sicken many people here.

Here's to hoping the blue cities with the most supporters of the Obola administration get the next few flyers.
You're a little late to the party. There are three in Colorado alone.
Three hospitals agree to treat any Ebola patients in Colorado | CPR

Last I checked, the only "blue" state with a facility was Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Texas Pres was simply the first, the guinea pig if you will. If Duncan had stumbled into any other hospital and wasn't forthcoming about his travels/Ebola exposure, a similar thing would have happened.
Yes, I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You may find this article interesting. Apparently the problem is widespread - the rule, rather than the exception.

And by the way, our local news has been full of series over the past few nights about preparedness in our area. This is called Public Relations work. Also, of course we should expect that other hospitals have learned from the mistakes made at Texas Presbyterian - but the fact is that we do not have the resources nationwide to handle this disease.

Then throw in weird people - for instance, the nurse who gave my husband and me our flu shots yesterday. We asked her if weird people have been asking them about Ebola - and she immediately rolled her eyes and said, "Oh my gosh, we're being INUNDATED with questions!" I said, "So have you been able to calm anyone down?" and this NURSE actually said to us, "Well, I don't watch the news. I don't know anything about Ebola. I just tell them to calm down, it's going to be OK."

She is a nurse and she doesn't "know anything about Ebola???????"

Just goes to show you that you can't fix stupid.
While I find not watching the news a little strange, this nurse (who may not really be an RN) is hardly unusual in not watching the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
So when will you be volunteering to take care of the flyers who come to America to get treated? How much money will you be sending the local hospitals they turn up at? How about the businesses and quarantined people? We have hundreds of those right now. Will you be offering to help pay their bills?
What are you talking about? The patients will be hospitalized. I don't get the rest of your post at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is rank speculation. I tend to think there is something to it, but we can never know. In any case, Texas will serve as an example of what not to do as so often happens. Oh, and maybe you missed it: he was forthcoming about his travels, but being a poor, uninsured, black man in Texas, he was put in a back room while "administration" debated about what to do with him.
Maybe you missed it. The nurse documented that he had traveled from Liberia, but the arrogant doctor (just like that jag who is the head of the CDC) didn't read the note, and "ass*umed" Duncan was a part of the Dallas Liberian community. You know what happens when you assume. I do not see this as a racial thing.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-18-2014 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: no need to keep repeating the same info

Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I believe in the statement. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. To keep this horrific virus at bay we should use all of our common sense and if one wants to come here from the heavily infected areas , they should be put into isolation for 21 days or close the path that Duncan used to bring Ebola here.

We don't need a global epidemic. We need to fight the disease in Africa without spreading it elsewhere and take every precaution to keep it from going global..

if we become a country full of ebola, how will will help Africa to kill this virus? We need to stay healthy in order to sent the most resources to help Africa beat this thing without infecting ourselves. There should be no option of hindsight in Ebola. It is too serious and too deadly a virus to be opened to being vulnerable in any area.
Stopping the next Duncan is the easy part.

How does one fight the disease in Africa/send the most resources to Africa but not allow those assets to return home?

Where exactly do the assets spend 3 weeks in isolation, before being allowed back home?

And I am using "home" to mean any place outside Africa.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:12 PM

13,596 posts, read 10,019,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
no excuse me this is widely known I live in Atlanta and I have gotten this from Emory
I have not done one thing to spread panic so back off
even the research hospital in Maryland where they sent the young nurse has said THEY know NOTHING of Ebola and are HOPING to LEARN I heard the Chief of staff himself say this!!! His is the largest hospital in the world
go check the facts
hell the quack from the CDC is saying any hospital will do they just need a private room and a bath
I am not in a panic I am talking about this as I have every right to do so
What the figgity fug are you talking about?

This would be hysterical except I don't think you're the only one. Good grief.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,219,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Taking the precautionary step of making yourself aware of the hazards by consulting authoritative sources of information rather than the pandering and prejudiced news media, would be advised.

There is a vast difference between being wilfully ignorant and simply among the misinformed.

Your nation has faced many challenges over hundreds of years and managed to prevail regardless of the early missteps taken.

The benefit or value of Texas Presby. Hospital's example of mistake to the rest of the world is incalculable in it's ultimate effect to all medical providers reviewing and ramping up for the arrival of their first threat. Imagine other's taking the position of "wow they did everything we thought would be appropriate but missed only a couple of little steps.......we need to review our protocols ASAP!"

Texas Presby. perhaps unwittingly, has done the western word a great service by showing all of us how very precise we need to be in preparation for this.

I have not blindly trusted anyone my doctor is wonderful and he is not going to infect me with Ebola LOL
Our president on the other hand I do not trust him nor the CDC they have dropped the ball several times
a few years ago with a simple thing like have enough flu vaccines I got sick every year because of their stupidity!!

Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,537,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Stopping the next Duncan is the easy part.

How does one fight the disease in Africa/send the most resources to Africa but not allow those assets to return home?

Where exactly do the assets spend 3 weeks in isolation, before being allowed back home?

And I am using "home" to mean any place outside Africa.
Exactly this!

How does anyone proposing a flight ban do two things imperative to making a flight ban in the least bit effective.

1/ Actually prohibit an American citizen with proof of citizenship re-entry to HIS country, regardless of where he/she's coming from?

2/ Prevent the virus from entering upon someone coming from OTHER than a hot zone who might have been in contact with someone from a hot zone in any one of the thousands of the international transit points.

The planes themselves need turn around servicing and should anyone cleaning a toilet seat, unthinkingly rub their eyes with their nitrile gloved hands .....ooopsy; then they go home to dinner.

A travel ban might serve to delay the inevitable but only intangibly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies