Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Continue Choking The Person 34 41.46%
Stop Choking The Person 48 58.54%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 PM

779 posts, read 632,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
You can breathe is you are speaking.

Resisting arrest like he did caused this problem.

Had he just acted civil and the officers asked him to stop being so erratic this would not have happened.

Instead he chose to fight and push police officers which led to this issue.

Another case where this did not have to happen, had the person who was doing something illegal once again behaved and did what most of us would and just acted civil, instead he chose to push the lever too far. Only because he knew he was in trouble for doing something illegal.

Another case where this is not a white on black issue at all.

93% of all deaths of black men are caused by black men. Ask yourself why do so many black men kill each other yet we dont hear about that?
You don't hear about it because you must live in a small town with very few black people, don't listen to the news or read a paper, blog our online need sources. I see all sorts of crimes mentioned and not just local.

Did they find cigarettes on him? So who was he selling them to and were they also arrested? I thought he'd just broken up a fight. Did he offer those hanging around cigarettes right after the fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I'd say, if you can speak, then you can breathe..
^^^^ This. If I was being attacked, and I was then able to stop the attack and restrain them physically... of course there is the real chance that my would-be attacker would try to trick me into releasing my grip by claiming that I was hurting them.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:19 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I'd say, if you can speak, then you can breath.

Also, those who know these things say he wasn't being choked -- only restrained. He died because of a medical condition -- yes,aggravated by the assault.
I think he was having trouble breathing and that was what he was trying to tell them. "I can't breath" means he's grasping for air. That should have been a clue to the cop to release his hold. The guy wasn't even armed so why didn't he.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:28 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I think he was having trouble breathing and that was what he was trying to tell them. "I can't breath" means he's grasping for air. That should have been a clue to the cop to release his hold. The guy wasn't even armed so why didn't he.
He couldn't breathe because he was morbidly obese and the exertion of resisting arrest was wearing him out. The cop didn't release his hold because the guy was resisting arrest and he could clearly breathe since he was speaking.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
He couldn't breathe because he was morbidly obese and the exertion of resisting arrest was wearing him out. The cop didn't release his hold because the guy was resisting arrest and he could clearly breathe since he was speaking.
Why do some always blame the victim. What is wrong with our society And have you never seen anyone choking on something... grasping for air but could manage a few words asking for help before they totally collapsed. His airway was being blocked and he was trying to tell them that. He was unharmed and no threat.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:50 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why do some always blame the victim. What is wrong with our society And have you never seen anyone choking on something... grasping for air but could manage a few words asking for help before they totally collapsed. His airway was being blocked and he was trying to tell them that. He was unharmed and no threat.
Uh, because sometimes the "victim" is the one causing the problem? If one can talk then one is not choking. If he could talk, then his airway was open enough to pass air. Had he complied with the officers' lawful order, he'd be out there breaking the law again today. For someone who had been arrested many times before, he should have known how it goes and that he wasn't going to win. He made a choice to resist, and choices have consequences. Next.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
I keep hearing that if you can speak you can breathe as if having difficulty breathing and still talking is impossible. It's not impossible, it's just hard. So technically he could breath but gasping for air makes one feel as if you can't and it is normal for an asthmatic or someone in distress to get out that they can't breath as long as they're struggling for air.
True enough...but that isn't the context of the question. Since this is supposed to be a question that correlates to the Garner case, such provisions should have been applied in the phrasing. The question is general. I can't assume provisions related to specific incident in it.

If you have ever been choked, or actually choked someone, you would see that a true chokehold does NOT allow speech. In no uncertain terms. It is a main system shutdown, lights OUT. So, as the question may pertain to the aforementioned specific case, truly, I don't get why the choke was applied at all. As I said earlier, that is plumb serious social work, to be used when someone is clearly dangerous and intends you serious harm. To my thinking, personally, it should NOT be used as a simple restraint. Of course, I don't think a Tazer should be used as a negotiating tool with a verbally combative subject either. A lot of cops, today, see that differently.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Uh, because sometimes the "victim" is the one causing the problem? If one can talk then one is not choking. If he could talk, then his airway was open enough to pass air. Had he complied with the officers' lawful order, he'd be out there breaking the law again today. For someone who had been arrested many times before, he should have known how it goes and that he wasn't going to win. He made a choice to resist, and choices have consequences. Next.
no... just no.

If you watch the video you see him put his hands up while asking what the problem is and then a guy jumps on his back like it's WWE fight night.

Cops are going from 0-100 real quick these days and video is exposing them.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM

328 posts, read 434,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Thank you. Finally someone has their facts correct.

Many things went wrong here. A person passes away which is sad because he himself could have prevented this from happening by 1. Not doing things illegal as M Brown did. 2. Not resisting arrest and pushing and shoving police who were trying to arrest or talk to him about his illegal activities when he became irritated. 3. Being extremely obese like he was he was in no position to resist arrest. 4. The policeman again was trying to control an out of control person and bad things happened.

Again, this is turned into a race issue when it is clear he was doing something illegal and then resisted arrest and became out of control.

One more time, 93% of all black men who die from violent crimes are caused by other black men, so please stop making every single case an issue.

Why are those 93% black on black deaths not a daily issue? Why are black athletes not wearing shirts asking black men to stop killing each other?

Travon Martin- Issue was he attacked a person, he assaulted an armed person.

Michael Brown - Issue was he job committed a robbery, assaulted a clerk. Then attacked and assaulted a police officer.

This case- Obese out of control person who was illegally doing something and resisted arrest.

Dont forget about cases such as the Duke rape case where the black lady lied about white boys raping her to get attention. Those lives were ruined because of her racist ways of hate towards white people.

Turned out she is a life long welfare case and did not take offers to pay for her college from people who looked like fools not knowing she was a liar and a welfare case.

Just get the facts correct, the mention above is facts and they cannot be denied.

Personally any athlete who is getting paid and wears one of those shirts should be suspended without pay as they are racist themselves knowing it is inciting more hate when the issue was and is nothing to do with a black person who resisted arrest and was unhealthy to begin with.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:36 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
You can breathe is you are speaking.

Resisting arrest like he did caused this problem.

Had he just acted civil and the officers asked him to stop being so erratic this would not have happened.

Instead he chose to fight and push police officers which led to this issue.

Another case where this did not have to happen, had the person who was doing something illegal once again behaved and did what most of us would and just acted civil, instead he chose to push the lever too far. Only because he knew he was in trouble for doing something illegal.

Another case where this is not a white on black issue at all.

93% of all deaths of black men are caused by black men. Ask yourself why do so many black men kill each other yet we dont hear about that?
"Another case where this is not a white on black issue at all."

Most of the blacks who are whining ignore that the police Sgt. in charge was a BLACK FEMALE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies