Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Continue Choking The Person 34 41.46%
Stop Choking The Person 48 58.54%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

I would continue the take down.

If you stop you lose control of the take down........that is dangerous.

I did not vote......because I would not be choking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Assuming:

- The person has no weapons.

- Five or six of you friends are with you.
Would depend on why circumstances brought on the née to hoke him, what was his size and do I feel my life would be in danger

Old 12-14-2014, 06:15 PM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Assuming:

Depends on the reason why I was choking him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZx7yF_a7M

Old 12-14-2014, 06:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I've been choked and said just that it a fight to get a break. It really depends if still struggling. I doubt if bad you could even understand the person. As bad a shape they say the guy in new york was in physically it didn't have to be from the choke hold he couldn't breathe well; while still able to speak.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If I had to resort to choking someone to protect myself then the other people are just standing around not helping. I never would have had to resort to choking someone if they were being any help at all.

I would guess that adrenaline would still be pumping and I'd still be in fear as that is what it would take for me to choke someone in the first place. Obviously, the 5 or 6 people aren't doing a darned thing in this situation to help me. Why would I consider their presence any kind of reassurance? It certainly did not stop me from getting into this situation. Why would I believe it would get me out of it?
Would it make any difference if the other 5 or 6 guys are actively helping you subdue the man who's claiming he can't breathe and they all have firearms but he doesn't?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-14-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,681 times
It depends on who it is, obviously.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Would it make any difference if the other 5 or 6 guys are actively helping you subdue the man who's claiming he can't breathe and they all have firearms but he doesn't?
Was the cause of death strangulation or was it a heart attack?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Assuming:

Easy peasy. I'd quit choking since I don't want to be guilty of murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I'd say, if you can speak, then you can breath.

Also, those who know these things say he wasn't being choked -- only restrained. He died because of a medical condition -- yes,aggravated by the assault.
Quote:
The question is what would you DO not what would you SAY.
Good point. That was the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
No, you're making a judgment about the cops actions based on FALSE reporting. I will call you on your errors.
The poster asked a question. You failed to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If I was choking a person I'm sure I'd be in fear of my life so I'm not sure what I'd do. This is not something I would normally do. I assume I'd be doing it as an act of desperation and fear. The answer lies in what I think will happen if I stop choking them and that would be situational. Is this someone who had me in fear of my life before I managed to start choking him hard enough to prevent injury to myself? If so, I might keep choking until they passed out for my own safety.

If five or six friends are there, they're not very good friends to simply stand around and watch this. Obviously they aren't helping.
Well, let's just say they WERE helping . . are you still so scared and shaky and desperate and fearful? If so, I'm thinking you would not be a police officer because that would definitely be the wrong job for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
You'd still be scared if it 5 or 6 against 1? How terrible of a fighter are you and your friends?
They are pretty bad, I agree. But, maybe the guy was like Billy Jack and could take them all down with his feet, I don't know. I guess that would be scary.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
There is probably a good reason I'm choking the bully in the first place.

If the guy was trying to hurt me, my family, or even a really good friend, he would go limp before I let up.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,273 times
The poll question was misleading. If you wanted to talk about cops choking people, you should have said so.
Then added more factors. If I had known you were luring posters, I wouldn't have answered the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies