Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 05:46 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
Freeloaders gonna load.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Agreed. Although if they really took risks, they couldn't become wealthier. This indicates that what they charge overweights the risk factor.
I can tell you first hand its a risk.. I once lost everything I owned because tenants didnt pay their rent...

Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Allowing favored classes of taxpayers to keep their own money is redistribution.
So the rich peoples money does get redistributed to the poor who dont pay taxes?
Quote:
How do you justify the tax-exempt status of employer-provided health insurance...and oppose an employer (insurance) mandate at the same time?
Because the government has decided its better that we have a healthy population in order to work and generate revenues..

Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
What risk is taken on by holding a rapidly appreciating asset?

They provide me with housing because government enforces a captive market of rent slaves who are not allowed to provide their own cheap housing.
They provide you with housing because YOU PAY RENT.. BY CHOICE...

Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@petch

I really would like you to really take a moment and think about this auntie ok?

The wealth share of America’s top 3 percent, Fed researchers calculate, rose from 44.8 percent of the nation’s wealth in 1989 to 51.8 percent in 2007 and 54.4 percent in 2013. The top 3 percent now hold over double the wealth of America’s poorest 90 percent of families.

The Top 1 Percent Of Americans Own Half Of The Country's Stocks, Bonds, And Mutual Funds:

Top 10% of Americans Own 76% of All the Stuff in America.

Now please understand that you, the middle class, me and the millionare and the welfare guy are all the remaining 24% fighting over whats left of the wealth. Thats about 316.5 Million people fighting over 1/4 of a pie. You keep banging the welfare guy, but hes in the same boat. Whats funny is we keep talking about how the tax burden is so hard for the rich when every year they keep getting a bigger piece of the wealth pie. Please understand that when you hate on poor people your just making it harder 4 us.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@petch

The wealth share of America’s top 3 percent, Fed researchers calculate, rose from 44.8 percent of the nation’s wealth in 1989 to 51.8 percent in 2007 and 54.4 percent in 2013. The top 3 percent now hold over double the wealth of America’s poorest 90 percent of families.

The Top 1 Percent Of Americans Own Half Of The Country's Stocks, Bonds, And Mutual Funds:

Now please understand that you, the middle class, me and the millionare and the welfare guy are all the remaining 24% fighting over whats left of the wealth. Thats about 316.5 Million people fighting over 1/4 of a pie. You keep banging the welfare guy, but hes in the same boat. Whats funny is we keep talking about how the tax burden is so hard for the rich when every year they keep getting a bigger piece of the wealth pie. Please understand that when you hate on poor people your just making it harder 4 us.
The poor get assistance and subsidies, the banks are bailed out, the middle class is left to support themselves without a dime of help, holding the bag, paying the bill for the top and the bottom, supporting government waste, supporting people who won't even try, some making decisions without concern about the tax payer paying for it.

Democrats and liberals fooled you into thinking they were going after the rich but they knew most middle class don't understand the difference between wealth and high income. The government raised taxes on "income" and want more ... the upper middle class, most born into poor or middle class families doing all they can to pull out of the middle class trap. To do that they depend on income and government takes it away.

You don't seem to get is the rich don't depend on income but who did Obama go after, people who depended on income, people who did everything they could to increase their income so they have excess so they could try to build wealth. You're not getting that the rich are already rich, they control their income, they control the source of their income. The middle class trying to get out of the middle class trap can not do that. As you make more, the more the government takes.

Obama went after "income" not wealth.

Last edited by petch751; 06-30-2015 at 11:26 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
Quote:
@petch

The difference is that the "welfare guys" don't contribute to society. They just leech resources off of it. All while demanding that we pay for more "free" stuff for them.

We, the middle class, aren't asking for more and more handouts. All we ask is that we get to keep a bit more of the money that we earned while working at our jobs.

So don't even talk like we're both "in the same boat". Nobody owes the "welfare guys" a free house, free food, free money, a free phone, and free medical.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
@petch

THANKS, this is thought provoking. So the whole discussion is just a distraction from the real issues.

One could claim that the system in this country allows the accumulation of great wealth so the top tier of taxpayers should pay more (even though they pay the majority of taxes already).

On the other hand perhaps one could claim that an open system and unregulated economy with low taxes is the best way to drive job creation. I personally believe this is only true when everyone plays by the same rules and they don't in a global economy (our biggest trading partners are subsidizing their national interests).

Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
@petch

The 0.01% got richer under the Obama presidency. 7+ years in and the middle class is poorer, some slipping into poverty, struggling and not able to build wealth to live on in later years. The 0.01% got richer, the middle class including people who are high income trying to climb out of the middle class trap got stuck paying the bill, nothings changed.

HOPE & CHANGE is a joke!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The difference is that the "welfare guys" don't contribute to society. They just leech resources off of it. All while demanding that we pay for more "free" stuff for them.

We, the middle class, aren't asking for more and more handouts. All we ask is that we get to keep a bit more of the money that we earned while working at our jobs.

So don't even talk like we're both "in the same boat". Nobody owes the "welfare guys" a free house, free food, free money, a free phone, and free medical.
Exactly. The poor get all kinds of help but the middle class doesn't. They work for everything they get. They are NOT in the same boat as people on welfare in many ways. The middle class has to work to support themselves today and most can not build wealth for their aging years, they're doomed to poverty then. The poor, young, middle age, old already get the money they need to live.

The next time you pay to put food on your table, think about how you worked to put food on the table of the poor and they still complain. Think about how much you had to work to put food on your table, yet the poor got the food free paid for by the tax payer.

Yes, the middle class needs to keep more of their money so they can support themselves now and put some aside for the future. If they think a raise will help, ask how much is that raise really worth after taxes? If you get a raise, for many it will go to playing catch up "after the government gets their take".

Last edited by petch751; 06-30-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies