Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Look at education levels by race/ethnicity. Look at crime levels by race/ethnicity. Bad decisions? I would certainly say so.
Quite a racist notion Informed Concent to say that every race besides european/white are alot poorer because of bad individual choices. What comes first? genocide, slavery, poverty and the effects of that thru the generations? Or bad personal choices?

I don't buy into everything is just bad personal choices arguement to exclude oneself from personal responsibility for another. Nor do i buy into just because we are _______ that we are just victems arguments either. I believe its balanced, i believe yes people have been victimize because of there minority status and i believe people have made some bad choices too, but i also believe other people have taken advantage of other peoples weakness etc to consolidate wealth and power. Unfortantly the ones who are consolidating wealth at others expensive don't want to take responsibility.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:41 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Look at education levels by race/ethnicity. Look at crime levels by race/ethnicity. Bad decisions? I would certainly say so.
So, "those people" are bad because they chose to be born into poor families with limited to no job opportunities, no resources, and lousy schools? Really?

If this is all a "choice," then I guess we should have all chosen to be born to millionaires! Makes about as much sense as what you're proposing.

I love this forum: where else can one find insane logic like generational poverty being considered a "choice" by everyone involved?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly!

It never ceases to amaze me how in America, nearly all the hatred is shown towards the people with no wealth and no real power. Somehow, we're to believe that "those people" are the root of our problems - not the insanely wealthy clowns at the top who buy up leaders in their free time. It is completely illogical; the poor guy working fast food who needs food stamps to survive because his company pays crap is NOT the reason that there are fewer and fewer decent jobs in this nation. But the far-right are mostly corporate toadies, so they will not confront the real problems. This results in all sorts of sad and yet hilarious "reasoning" from them, such as:

1) Poor people have all the money in America, and if you earn more money, it becomes harder to save any.

2) Power is bad, which is why the government is bad but big business - which owns the government - is somehow good

3) All poor people are "lazy" and "do nothing" - regardless of what the facts say - and if they all just somehow got a great education, everyone in the nation would be upper middle class doctors, engineers, etc.

It's all BS and illustrates a staggering lack of understanding about economics, politics, and reality. But the far-right is not interested in of that. They react to facts the same way a vampire reacts to sunlight: hissing rage, before turning to dust or running. Pathetic!

Old 06-28-2015, 10:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I reiterate! Replace Income Tax and IRS with Consumption tax and simple Agency to collect same from merchants/sellers.
I agree. The current system keeps the middle class trapped and the poor don't care as long as the tax payer funded EBT cards keep chugging out money, nor do the big banks care, who do people think is making big money managing those EBT cards and handouts? It's time for the middle class to stop worrying about the poor and start worrying about themselves first, then they could help the poor.

There are over 72,000 pages to the current tax code. If government really wanted to help they would simplify it so everyone would understand it without having to hire CPA's to decipher it so taxes are filed without errors. But they won't. It is easier to fool people who don't understand then it is to fool knowledgeable people. Knowledge is power and with a 72,000 tax code the people don't have the power.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:04 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Quite a racist notion Informed Concent to say that every race besides european/white are alot poorer because of bad individual choices. What comes first? genocide, slavery, poverty and the effects of that thru the generations? Or bad personal choices?

I don't buy into everything is just bad personal choices arguement to exclude oneself from personal responsibility for another. Nor do i buy into just because we are _______ that we are just victems arguments either. I believe its balanced, i believe yes people have been victimize because of there minority status and i believe people have made some bad choices too, but i also believe other people have taken advantage of other peoples weakness etc to consolidate wealth and power. Unfortantly the ones who are consolidating wealth at others expensive don't want to take responsibility.
Knowledge is power and if you don't have the knowledge you're bound to be taken advantage of. You don't realize it but the Democrats are feeding into into your lack of financial understanding. hmm where did I hear that before, oh that's right, Democrat Gruber.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:54 PM

18 posts, read 9,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How to defeat. The poor need to get a clue and stop being so damn lazy, the middle class also needs to smarten up so they aren't so easily fooled by rhetoric. When people are more educated then the politicians and banks can't take advantage of them so easily.
You wouldn't happen to think that has anything to do with government control of education and what the schools are being targeted to teach would you?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
GIVING people money is NOT screwing over the poor, under no way shape or form is that true..

EVERYONE needs to contribute to society.
Giving anyone anything isn't screwing over anyone ... as long as it's voluntary.

Why does everyone need to contribute to some imaginary construct referred to as society though?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
That's an extreme misrepresentation. SS and Medicare AREN'T free handouts like welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc. One must have paid premiums for decades before ever becoming eligible for SS and Medicare benefits, while those who receive welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc., need never have paid or ever will have to pay even one thin dime in premiums for those benefits.
The minimum is actually 10 years making at least $4,880 (as of 2015) to be eligible.

However, regardless of the impression they try to give, you have absolutely no ownership interest in SS or Medicare. It ceased being your money the instant it hit the government's accounts. They could vote to end the programs tomorrow and you wouldn't be owed a thing. The courts ruled on that a long time ago. It's just another entitlement program, albeit with rules different than most.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:34 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiBowlingGreenKY View Post
The minimum is actually 10 years making at least $4,880 (as of 2015) to be eligible.

However, regardless of the impression they try to give, you have absolutely no ownership interest in SS or Medicare. It ceased being your money the instant it hit the government's accounts. They could vote to end the programs tomorrow and you wouldn't be owed a thing. The courts ruled on that a long time ago. It's just another entitlement program, albeit with rules different than most.

Wow! Really?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Maybe you are thinking only of yourself (shocking, I know) but many poor have no "refundable tax credits." Again, it's not like they have mortgages.

You and many here are so ill informed it's scary. Most have no idea what poverty really is. Tax credits? On WHAT?! Do you even think before you type?
Most refundable tax credits are from EITC and only available to the working poor with children. Mortgages don't generate tax credits, they're a deduction. Tax credits will actually pay you money back on top of no income tax if they work out that way. A negative income tax. Deductions can't take you beyond 0 tax due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies