Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 11:52 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

By the way, poor people who have kids knowing they will depend on the government handouts to support them didn't do right by their kids, then they make it worse by teaching the kids victimhood.. that it's someone else's fault they are poor. Talk about not taking responsibility.
Bingo! My family and my husband's family both were poor (mine more than his), but both families kept trying. I think it installed the work ethic in both of us which is why we were able to work our way out. Are we rich... absolutely not. We're comfortably middle-class. But with each and every day I find myself being taxed, fee'd, and charged to the point that what has taken us 35 years to build could be gone in a heartbeat.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Bingo! My family and my husband's family both were poor (mine more than his), but both families kept trying. I think it installed the work ethic in both of us which is why we were able to work our way out. Are we rich... absolutely not. We're comfortably middle-class. But with each and every day I find myself being taxed, fee'd, and charged to the point that what has taken us 35 years to build could be gone in a heartbeat.
That's exactly how government taxation keeps the middle class down. If you have excess W2 earnings (two incomes or high income) they just take a bigger chunk. It's like the middle class is in a rat trap, working hard, improving their skills, looking forward to that raise so you have extra money and then along comes government and takes more money then the liberal rhetoric that you don't deserve that money. No damn wonder it's hard for the middle class to move up.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Describe "comfortably middle class".

Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Family 1: Wife recently become a doctor and makes $160,000. Her husband, a small business makes $110,000, a family income of $270,000 per year. However, they are still paying off the medical and business loans amounting to debts of $300,000. They also owe on mortgage debt.

Family 2: a lawyer, took early retirement and his non-working wife. Annual income of $230,000, all of it derived from interest on tax-free municipal bonds. Their net worth is $7 million, consisting of $5 million in bonds, a million-dollar home with no mortgage,...

Which family is better off?

Family 1: $270K a year,
Family 2: $230K a year

The 2nd family is far better off financially, they are wealthy living on an income of "tax free" government bonds.

Which family did Obama want to raise taxes on claiming they were rich?

Obama, wanted to increase taxes on the 1st (poorer) family and not on the wealthier family. They have mis-defined “rich” by confusing income with a assets (wealth), and thus come to the wrong conclusion. He wanted to tax those (who make more than $250,000 a year) who are trying to become rich, while Obama was preserving the status for those who already have wealth.

Democrats and liberals lack financial understanding... or do they really know what they're doing?

Confusing Wealth and Income | Cato Institute

??? ???

Maybe Obama has enough political sense to not propose a wealth tax?

And where did hubby #1 get a business loan? With what collateral?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
It is better to have wealth and low income than it is to have high income and no wealth.... especially when the government thinks that high income is wealth and higher income makes you a government money grab target.

People who want to build wealth so they too can semi-retire or retire think that making more money will give them excess cash to save and invest but don't count your money too fast, government wants a chunk of that raise too.

That is exactly why government 'poverty' statistics are so misleading and so useless.

Government thinks a wealthy person with $11K income is poor and a $12K burger flipper with zero net worth and $500/mo rent is not poor. Go figure.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Too much of a stretch. No one is going to buy that. It's just more of your "I made extremely foolish life choices so I'm poor and that's somehow a tax on me" BS.

Actually, Thomas Sowell devoted an entire book chapter (Markets and Minorities, Chapter 7) to the "generally upward" redistributive effect of zoning and housing regulations. (Sowell saw the redistribution as occurring from renters to property owners, hence generally but not exclusively upward.)

Since this book is long out of print - unlike almost all his other books with remain in print - I suspect Sowell may have since conformed his views to the prevailing homeownerist culture.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
False. If taxpayer B isn't GIVEN any additional money, it's not redistribution. It's just keeping more of what one has earned.

Then why doesn't A get to keep more of what he earned? Compensation is compensation. Should some forms of compensation be more equal than others?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then why doesn't A get to keep more of what he earned? Compensation is compensation. Should some forms of compensation be more equal than others?
Some people just worked harder to have better opportunities. Get over it and stop trying to siphon money off of people who have made themselves more valuable to society.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Some people just worked harder to have better opportunities. Get over it and stop trying to siphon money off of people who have made themselves more valuable to society.

??? ???

Government workers have great tax-advantaged benefits. Have they made themselves more valuable to society?

Is a GM janitor more valuable to society than the average janitor?

I'm not trying to siphon money off people, I just want government to stop siphoning my money to redistribute upward.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:45 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
I'm sure that once the Government gets tired of buying all of those lower 50% votes, they'll boot them all off of welfare and they'll have to actually get jobs so they can be taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies