Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post

BUSINESS DOES NOT PAY TAXES...YOU DO! Those same taxes will be passed down with each step of every product produced and with every service provided due to anything that service business has to have to provide the service, BUT, in the case of consumption tax instead of income tax, you, the consumer HAVE THE OPTION OF HOW MUCH YOU CAN SPEND! IMHO, and for myself, I want to be in control of my $'s and not have the government tell me how much (what % of my income) I HAVE to opay them! I think that is one of the biggest benefits of Consumption tax over Income Tax!
Add the word WAGES to that as well! The people who keep harping about how raising the minimum wage need to see this too! As if wages don't effect the final cost to the consumer either.....

Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
all business is added to the price of their service/product and passed on down to the final consumer which is anyone who buy/pays for that product or service.
Yep, businesses provide a free tax collection service to the government.

The company even collects (deducts) employment (federal, unemployment, social security, local) taxes and sends that money to the government. If the employee owes more federal taxes at the end of the year that's because the employee didn't estimate their W4 withholding correctly when they started working for the company.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Add the word WAGES to that as well! The people who keep harping about how raising the minimum wage need to see this too! As if wages don't effect the final cost to the consumer either.....
Oh, yes...thank you for pointing that out. Having owned several business and having had to sign the pay checks that's one I should never have forgotten!

In my experience, not to change the subject, but to take advantage of this opening, there should be no minimum wage requirement. Something I was told at a very young age when just starting out in the work force when asking "how long is this job going to last (in construction are)" and the answer was "as long as you make me money." I have never forgotten that and found it to be dead-on-target. Minimum-wage laws depress hiring those beginners in the work force.

I worked my way up from typist and switchboard operator to the top; i.e., CEO and CFO of a very successful corporation my husband and I established and owned...majority stockholders. It takes effort, self responsibility and time to work through learning and experience to improve one's worth. Starting at the bottom is an asset since when you get to the top you have vast knowledge of every level.

The worst employees we ever had were those with college/university degrees who thought they should just step in upper levels with no on-the-job experience. Doesn't work well. In addition, we had to work with Engineers and Architects that had degrees but never on-the-job experience. Can't tell you how many times we had to correct their mistakes before moving the job forward. Unbelievable stories I could tell. VBG

Now, back to economics.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I have to be, I realize that no one is going to take care of me and my family, I got to do that myself. Too bad other people don't realize that government does not have their interest at heart.
That is what gets to me the most. The left reaching more and more into my pocket, calling me selfish, telling me "how I want children to starve." Playing on the most basic of emotions to try to get me to fund what they believe in. They have NO IDEA, how I grew up (in poverty), the sacrifices that I and my husband have gone through to provide for our family. Raising kids, putting them through school (and yes.. buying into the idea that they must have a college education even though neither hubby or I have more than a high school diploma). The fact that we are still dealing with aging parents who neither have the ability physically or financially to care totally for themselves and is helping to drain our pockets faster than the IRS itself. And to know that while your husband has WORKED himself into a position of authority and responsibility within a company which does provide a nice living... also knowing that because of that particular industry being what it is(oil/gas/chemical) that any day some nice new governmental hiccup or delusion, or even great idea could render us unemployed. Yet, I'm supposed to "care" for a government or person who deserves it just because they exist? Nah.....

Last edited by aus10; 06-29-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Oh, yes...thank you for pointing that out. Having owned several business and having had to sign the pay checks that's one I should never have forgotten!

In my experience, not to change the subject, but to take advantage of this opening, there should be no minimum wage requirement. Something I was told at a very young age when just starting out in the work force when asking "how long is this job going to last (in construction are)" and the answer was "as long as you make me money." I have never forgotten that and found it to be dead-on-target. Minimum-wage laws depress hiring those beginners in the work force.

I worked my way up from typist and switchboard operator to the top; i.e., CEO and CFO of a very successful corporation my husband and I established and owned...majority stockholders. It takes effort, self responsibility and time to work through learning and experience to improve one's worth. Starting at the bottom is an asset since when you get to the top you have vast knowledge of every level.

The worst employees we ever had were those with college/university degrees who thought they should just step in upper levels with no on-the-job experience. Doesn't work well. In addition, we had to work with Engineers and Architects that had degrees but never on-the-job experience. Can't tell you how many times we had to correct their mistakes before moving the job forward. Unbelievable stories I could tell. VBG

Now, back to economics.
The problem is that people think by the virtue of birth they are owed a job. It never occurs for them to keep the job the company must make money. For some reason people think that companies should be social institutions.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
That is what gets to me the most. The left reaching more and more into my pocket, calling me selfish, telling me "how I want children to starve." Playing on the most basic of emotions to try to get me to fund what they believe in. They have NO IDEA, how I grew up (in poverty), the sacrifices that I and my husband have gone through to provide for our family. Raising kids, putting them through school (and yes.. buying into the idea that they must have a college education even though neither hubby or I have more than a high school diploma). The fact that we are still dealing with aging parents who neither have the ability physically or financially to care totally for themselves and is helping to drain our pockets faster than the IRS itself. And to know that while your husband has WORKED himself into a position of authority and responsibility within a company which does provide a nice living... also knowing that because of that particular industry being what it is(oil/gas/chemical) that any day some nice new governmental hiccup or delusion, or even great idea could render us unemployed. Yet, I'm supposed to "care" for a government or person who deserves it just because they exist? Nah.....
You hit the nail on the head. I come from a lower middle class family and worked my way up. I used to be like them and think it was about income but was "SHOCKED" how much the government took as my income climbed. Talk about being kicked in the ass. That's why I laugh when I see them fighting for $15 hour thinking all their problems will be solved. What a joke, idiots don't realize the government will raid that too and raise will be worth a lot less.

Oh and yes, elderly parents, mom in rehab wants to go home even though she need 24/7 supervision but has no means to pay for help. Yet here we are, we are forced to pay for dead beats, breeders, breeders kids and government waste and now we must choose to put mom in home or give up our lives and drain our own finances to take care of mom.

Through this experience I've learned the poor get lots of financial help in elderly care too. Who am I? I'm just a middle class sucker who has to pay for poor people I don't even know before I can take care of my own. If I could keep a portion of what I am forced to pay in taxes it would help our family take care of mom but no, we must pay for the dead beats and government waste instead. To hell with us middle class families, poverty is now in vogue.

Last edited by petch751; 06-29-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM

It is better to have wealth and low income than it is to have high income and no wealth.... especially when the government thinks that high income is wealth and higher income makes you a government money grab target.

People who want to build wealth so they too can semi-retire or retire think that making more money will give them excess cash to save and invest but don't count your money too fast, government wants a chunk of that raise too.

Last edited by petch751; 06-29-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:20 AM

Family 1: Wife recently become a doctor and makes $160,000. Her husband, a small business makes $110,000, a family income of $270,000 per year. However, they are still paying off the medical and business loans amounting to debts of $300,000. They also owe on mortgage debt.

Family 2: a lawyer, took early retirement and his non-working wife. Annual income of $230,000, all of it derived from interest on tax-free municipal bonds. Their net worth is $7 million, consisting of $5 million in bonds, a million-dollar home with no mortgage,...

Which family is better off?

Family 1: $270K a year,
Family 2: $230K a year

The 2nd family is far better off financially, they are wealthy living on an income of "tax free" government bonds.

Which family did Obama want to raise taxes on claiming they were rich?

Obama, wanted to increase taxes on the 1st (poorer) family and not on the wealthier family. They have mis-defined “rich” by confusing income with a assets (wealth), and thus come to the wrong conclusion. He wanted to tax those (who make more than $250,000 a year) who are trying to become rich, while Obama was preserving the status for those who already have wealth.

Democrats and liberals lack financial understanding... or do they really know what they're doing?

Confusing Wealth and Income | Cato Institute

Last edited by petch751; 06-29-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:27 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Quite a racist notion Informed Concent to say that every race besides european/white are alot poorer because of bad individual choices.
Committing a crime IS A CHOICE. Not earning a high school diploma IS A CHOICE.

Again, look at the crime and high school drop out statistics. Many people are foolishly creating their own hardships.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:30 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Knowledge is power and if you don't have the knowledge you're bound to be taken advantage of. You don't realize it but the Democrats are feeding into into your lack of financial understanding. hmm where did I hear that before, oh that's right, Democrat Gruber.
Exactly. And, people are underinformed BY CHOICE. Consequently, I feel no sympathy whatsoever for those who DELIBERATELY CHOOSE to be life, financially, etc. illiterate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies