Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 08:52 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,209,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't, I've been forced to work with and employ enough union workers to know that any company they started would fail miserably. Between the sub-par work quality and the lack of productivity I'm not sure what would bring it down faster. Who would they blame for all of their failures?
Isnt the failure to properly hire the employer fault. Isnt the Mgt team failure to require quality work that even union employees see. Isnt it the Mgt. teams failure to maintain productivity.

These are issues which the Mgt. team needs to take care of and the failure is an excuse of Mgt.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM

46,266 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You still have the Leverage that a union can come in. It is an advantage for you and your co-workers

Why would we want a union? We own 49% of the company (Employees).

Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
As you age and stay on your job you will be wishing for that Seniority. A lot of people who did not have Seniority lost jobs (2008-10) not because their was someone who was better but because their was someone who they could pay less.
That's not always true, it maybe a union meme...but that's it, nothing more...

Unless you are talking about the broom pusher, then yea, but that's about as far as it goes in the real world.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
As you age and stay on your job you will be wishing for that Seniority. A lot of people who did not have Seniority lost jobs (2008-10) not because their was someone who was better but because their was someone who they could pay less.
In some situations that might have been the case. There would have also been cases where companies saw the value of experience can kept those workers. There would have also been cases where senior employees who weren't as valuable as newer employees were let go.

What's funny is all the times I've heard millennials complain that they can't get jobs because they don't have experience and that they can't get experience if nobody will hire them.

We can go to Monster right now and see that many jobs require X years of experience.

The reality is that companies value experience and knowledge, but like I said, if your job is something that can be taught to another person in a week, don't expect to have much value.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
Straw man alert. Walkerphobes would go to hell, if necessary, to find that elusive straw man. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
And Wisconsin will not be gaining the high level STEM jobs relative to Minnesota. The Twin Cities are one of the regional and national leaders in that regard. Your perception is off if you think Wisconsin "race to the bottom" mentality that is pushed by Walker will lead to solid rates of economic growth. Wisconsin will never win on the "low costs and cheap labor force" mentality because in a globalized economy there will always be places that are more "cost advantageous" for business. Wisconsin also cannot retain the younger professional and families in many parts of the state. They are leaving and moving elsewhere. Madison and a few select locations that are gaining in STEM jobs are exceptions to the rule.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't, I've been forced to work with and employ enough union workers to know that any company they started would fail miserably. Between the sub-par work quality and the lack of productivity I'm not sure what would bring it down faster. Who would they blame for all of their failures?
On the plus side, they'd have a catchy name for their business. Toss up between "That's Not My Job" and "I'm On My Break".

Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In some situations that might have been the case. There would have also been cases where companies saw the value of experience can kept those workers. There would have also been cases where senior employees who weren't as valuable as newer employees were let go.

What's funny is all the times I've heard millennials complain that they can't get jobs because they don't have experience and that they can't get experience if nobody will hire them.

We can go to Monster right now and see that many jobs require X years of experience.

The reality is that companies value experience and knowledge, but like I said, if your job is something that can be taught to another person in a week, don't expect to have much value.
Nothing but the truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
On the plus side, they'd have a catchy name for their business. Toss up between "That's Not My Job" and "I'm On My Break".
"I can't do that, you need to call a carpenter".

Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
Your point is correct as far as it goes. State tax policies, tax incentive policies, industry or job type training programs, like industries, utilities, transportation infrastructue, weather all play a role. Many, not all, of the RTW states done well in several, or all of those areas. Sorry about OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But Right to Work did NOT help Oklahoma. Excerpt from article:

"There are several lessons suggested by Oklahoma’s experience. The first is that, after examining the measures by which to evaluate “right to work” as an economic strategy—unemployment rate, the number of manufacturing jobs, relative job growth and unemployment compared to neighboring states, the number of firms moving into the state—the authors conclude that nothing “provides any evidence whatsoever that right-to-work has increased job growth in Oklahoma.”

Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I thought that leftists supported the right to choose. Apparently not.
The right to choose is there. Take advantage of it if you think it's wrong and immoral to work with a union by choosing to work in a non-unionized workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies