Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was America a more moral country in 1967
more moral in '67 49 41.18%
more moral today 38 31.93%
equal in morality 32 26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:19 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,184 times

Advertisements

So has anyone learned that morality is both a moving goal post and subjective in the first 100 post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Hate, racism and indifference are all immoral.
How did you decide that?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
Society was probably more moral is '67 but only negligibly so. A major difference is a change in social discourse which would alter view points and personal consideration. A much more active media - the internet - just compounds a wider awareness.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How did you decide that?
That's what political correctness tells him. All things that people on the right consider immoral are cases of them attempting to force their personal morality on others. All things that people on the left consider immoral are absolute universal truths.

The Tolerance Paradox | William M. Briggs

Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
I was an adult in 1967.
Morality was no lesser or greater then than it is today.
Morality is not cut in stone. Its definition changes regularly with every generation. Sometimes the changes are small, and other times the changes are large.

1967 was in the middle of a short time span when morality underwent a big ground shift among the young that changed some of its elements for many years that followed, and some of the changes begun then still exist today, in much more acceptance in today's society than back then.

And since then, other moral shifts have occurred which have also become accepted by society at large that were never thought about in 1967.

That's simply the way we are as a people. None of the shifts were new; all had happened before in some previous time, and any change does not automatically mean a return to older societal morés will not return. They do come back regularly as well.

In America, every action brings a reaction. Always has, always will. We have no thousand year old traditions of our own; our ancestors brought theirs here, but what happened afterward, when the old is passed to the young, often changes. Some of the Old World leaves forever here, and some always sticks and is absorbed. Most undergo circular change over a long period of time, going in one direction then back to another direction.

While we are not unique in this, we have done it longer than most other places, because we have been a free people who control our government, the societal element that sets most moral issues, not the other way around, for a very long time now.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I have plenty concept of reality anyone who thinks the Germans didn't know what was going on is a historical ignoramus, or a liar.
The vast majority had no clue and that is the fact. All information was strictly controlled. Anyone talking in public or private about these matters was subject to arrest or worse. People didn't talk about where the Jews went. I know, I have family in Germany, my Grandpa's parents were German immigrants. After the war they learned a lot of what life was for the average German during the war. They honestly thought the Jews were resettled somewhere else. That is what the newspapers and radio broadcasts told them.

We are talking about the 1940's in an oppressive, strictly controlled country. People were worried about their own survival, especially during the last 2 years of the war.

What is true is they had very little sympathy for the Jews and probably didn't worry about them much. That was part of their culture back then, Christians in Germany generally didn't like Jews much. I personally don't understand it but that's just the way it was and it was that way for hundreds of years.

I think it's terrible the way Hollywood and revisionist historians are portraying the average German during that era. So many folks with marginal educations really had nothing to do with the Nazi Party movement. The vast majority of the Army were NOT Nazi Party members. Many of them were men who signed up in 1928 and '29 because there were no jobs to be had thanks to the Treaty of Versailles that destroyed the German economy and created the Hitler monster and WWII. When they signed up they had to make a 12 year commitment. They called them "12 pointers" They were in the Army before Hitler was elected most of them. They fought for the love of their families, their hometowns and their country in that order. They weren't monsters.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:47 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
I know I replied here already, but in case I didn't say this.. I voted "more moral today" .. it seems like it's not because there's more media and instant access to news/information just like people say that "weather is more extreme" when it's really not.. people just have short attention spans.

We are more open about sex and gays.. there's nothing wrong with either of these things, there's nothing wrong with sex outside of marriage.. inside of marriage yes.. you made a commitment, stick to it.... having hatred towards others or persecuting them for perceived moral wrongdoings is probably a worse crime and was done routinely in the past against things that are widely accepted today.

Acceptance... that word alone screams of reading "David Hawkins" books on calibrating consciousness... acceptance is better than anger and hatred, prideful judgment... a live and let live mentality that states that others have the freedom to pursue their lives their own way as long as it does not infringe on the rights of, or hurt, another person...

A little common sense will tell you if what you are doing is 'wrong' .... and yes people still ignore that and do wrong things... survival of the fittest and striving to be number one, along with bad upbringings and genetic defects that make people prone to certain behaviors. We are making progress though.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Was abortion legal? Was society demanding that gays be able to marry? Were movies rated R with sex, violence and profanity being the norm in them? Were there violent video games? Was promiscuity encouraged on TV shows? Were kids being slaughtered in our schools by crazy people? Those are only some of the things that didn't exist back in 1967 and prior to that but do today. I rest my case.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:33 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I rest my case.
What you mean is that you choose to ignore the far more important advances that took place recently, outlined earlier in the thread, out of some misguided sycophancy to the past. That's fine, as long as you don't expect others to do so.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:39 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I know, I have family in Germany, my Grandpa's parents were German immigrants. After the war they learned a lot of what life was for the average German during the war. They honestly thought the Jews were resettled somewhere else. That is what the newspapers and radio broadcasts told them.
ever think they could be lying?
no one wants their relatives to know what scumbags they were

go ask those relatives what they knew about kristallnacht?

the only way they didn't know what was happening (and I don't mean the details) would be if they were complete idiots (eligible for the Action T4 program)

where exactly did they live in Germany?
and what profession were they in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies