Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was America a more moral country in 1967
more moral in '67 49 41.18%
more moral today 38 31.93%
equal in morality 32 26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHY?

IF COMMIES! are such a threat we shouldn't be importing so many consumer goods from a COMMUNIST! country and supporting their way of life, should we?
Good point! Let's see where the Chinese aim their submarines and missiles in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Maybe it was more moral because it was more ignorant.

http://www.zengardner.com/jfk-911-ev...ch-mans-trick/

Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
In 67 my hair was in a ponytail... I wore a pow bracelet of a pilot later killed by the vc...
Morality was in my face at Woodstock two years later... yasgurs farm was 45 minutes from our place... it took a day to get there... two hours to see morality and a day to return home
I never looked back

The people I looked up to.. my parents.. some of my teachers.. showed me what a moral life was... and what being a role model to others was.. and more importantly why...which innately just felt right to me... and one of the reasons I became a policeman

If you read what people seek today on city data you would come away with the idea that seeking a conscious and moral reflective life is gone in America... I say.. no.. its up to the teachers to impart ideas that will keep our country on a path of behaviors that will make it flourish... sadly.. I do see a downturn with selfishness and hedonism in the forefront of many peoples existence... as if they lack the consciousness to know what is healthy and sustainable to America....

I don't know... probably it was in flux like we are today.. we had drugs ..we had the be in gen.. we had war tearing the country apart... I don't think the damage was as pervasive as it is today

God bless.. America.... are we leaving it better than we found it today? I think perhaps not... until there is a shift from selfishness to selflessness

This is a significant part of what we have lost.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Jim Crow attitudes were still prevalent in the South in 67. We're far more moral now.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
yeah 1/10000

The German people are just as much to blaim as Hitler himself.
he was elected by them, they supported him and his policies.
He was certainly elected, but not everyone voted for him. And he certainly didn't run through what was happening inside the concentration camps. I find it hard to believe the German people would support such atrocious things. What makes me say this? Who said a word when FDR was rounding up Japanese Americans? We supported that policy. The only difference is FDR didn't order them killed, but if he had, the people of the United States would have been the last to know.

You also didn't answer my question. What takes precedence? The action of the state or the action of the people, and how did you decide which is more important?

Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
He was certainly elected, but not everyone voted for him.
so 43.91% of the voters are pure evil
and much of the other voters were also evil

Quote:
And he certainly didn't run through what was happening inside the concentration camps. I find it hard to believe the German people would support such atrocious things.
they knew what was happening and did nothing, we even knew in America what was happening

American Jewry Mourns Today for 2,000,000 Jews Massacred by Nazis in Europe | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Quote:
December 2, 1942
NEW YORK (Dec. 1)
Jews throughout the United States, Canada and Latin America will join with the Jews in other democratic lands tomorrow in a universal Day of Mourning for millions of Jewish Victims of Nazi brutality. About 500,000 Jewish workers in factories in the Metropolitan area of New York will stop work for ten minutes at 10 A.M. tomorrow, while Jewish firms will be closed for one hour between 4 and 5 P.M.
Hundreds of synagogues in every section of the country will hold special prayers and memorial services. Participating in these services will be representatives of the Orthodox, Reform and Conservative rabbinates. A memorial service will be broadcast at 4,30 tomorrow afternoon over the facilities of the Blue Network. This service, which will be under the auspices of leading American Jewish organizations, including the American Jewish Committee, the American Jewish Congress, B’nai B’rith, Synagogue Council of America, Union of Orthodox Rabbis and others, was arranged after these groups received news that almost 2,000,000 Jews have been killed by the Nazis in Europe and that the remaining five million are threatened with death by December 31, 1942.
never say that the Germans didn't know!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:48 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Jim Crow attitudes were still prevalent in the South in 67. We're far more moral now.
The way I see it, some things have changed, some things have not changed. The difference is is about what has changed. Denying people important freedoms is certainly immoral, not to mention unconstitutional.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The question is improperly formulated.
Since 1933, Americans have embraced collectivism, an abomination, thus cannot be considered "moral."
(When government can "take" from one to "give" to another, under threat, duress, and / or coercion, it's a "benevolent" totalitarian police state.)

All that remains is "obedient" versus "disobedient."
Morality has nothing to do with it.
Liberty vs tyranny.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
No. Morality has never been a major feature or trait of this country.

More sanctimonious perhaps. More moral. Nope.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
You know what's really assinine? Suggesting that a country has morals. People have morals, not countries. Assinine OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies