Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was America a more moral country in 1967
more moral in '67 49 41.18%
more moral today 38 31.93%
equal in morality 32 26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It depends on what you might call moral and immoral. There were plenty of immoral things going on before 1955, but were not really thought of as such.

By the way, the Beatnik era was in the 1950s. Were there no immoral things going on then?
I think the big difference is that immorality was around but was not accepted by Society until the '60's bunch started each succeeding generation down the road to total acceptance of one-night stands, combined-gender dorms at University/College institutions, etc., etc. That's just the tip of the iceberg, but our younger generations of today don't seem to have moral standards which are necessary to raise the next generation to have a good and stable life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Is this about America or the representatives of America, i.e., the US Government? Because the CIA and the government has acted very immorally for years and years and justified it as being in the best interests of the country. More moral? Hardly. More blinders on--definitely!!!

A Timeline of CIA Atrocities

friendly dictators

A Chilean Dictator's Dark Legacy

Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
It depends. We are more moral about some things now, and less moral about other things now. Across the board, I think the collapse of close family ties hurts us more than being "less moral" than before. Family and even community ties were much stronger then.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Well, we had drugs, "free love", fast cars, strip clubs, bars, night clubs, gambling, prostitution. Oh yeah, we were a lot more moral back then.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It depends. We are more moral about some things now, and less moral about other things now. Across the board, I think the collapse of close family ties hurts us more than being "less moral" than before. Family and even community ties were much stronger then.
Yes, but it does have the completely coincidental and wholly unintended side effect of increasing support for the Democrats.

Single mothers, legalized drugs, no prison sentences for nonviolent crimes, freely available abortion, passing out birth control to children, no-fault divorce, etc - all supported by the Democrat party in their time. All while claiming they were supporting people's freedom. All later found to directly lead to increased drug use, delinquency, depression, and crime by children. And then who appears to champion more government involvement to deal with all these problems affecting the poor children? Why, it's the Democrat party. Right there to blame the conservative backward morality for those problems. And when it is pointed out that all these problems can be traced directly back to left wing policies from the 60's and early 70s? Well, then it's time to bring up how racism was so bad back then and distract all attention from the other social ills.

It's all very convenient. It's a nice, neat circular logic pattern that leaves Democrats as completely blameless and as crusading heroes at every turn.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I think the big difference is that immorality was around but was not accepted by Society until the '60's bunch started each succeeding generation down the road to total acceptance of one-night stands, combined-gender dorms at University/College institutions, etc., etc.
most of the disastrous moves that you said only happened in the late 60's
in the '68 for example Barnard College kicked someone out for living off campus with a boy, the next year they had coed dorms

Old 03-06-2015, 10:49 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Was America a more moral country in 1967
human nature remains unchanged from the earliets times. It is technology that has changed to reveal what had alwys been kept in closets with the skeletons.

Technology has cleared the fog from the mirror for a better look.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
most of the disastrous moves that you said only happened in the late 60's
in the '68 for example Barnard College kicked someone out for living off campus with a boy, the next year they had coed dorms
I'm in favor of dorm rooms being either male or female. Males have male roommates, females having female roommates, that is the for the dorms. If a student is living off campus, in their own place, who they live with is their own business, not the university's. Said student is paying for school and not living on campus, so the university should have no say in what that student does off campus.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHY?

IF COMMIES! are such a threat we shouldn't be importing so many consumer goods from a COMMUNIST! country and supporting their way of life, should we?

You are very correct.

We should not import anything from China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUu-8nbd58

Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 PM

25 posts, read 39,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm in favor of dorm rooms being either male or female. Males have male roommates, females having female roommates, that is the for the dorms. If a student is living off campus, in their own place, who they live with is their own business, not the university's. Said student is paying for school and not living on campus, so the university should have no say in what that student does off campus.
They had coed dorms back when I was in college, which was the early 1970s (bbut not coed dorm rooms). I think the first cored dorm floor at my school opened up in 1970 or 1971 (not sure because I didn't get there till 1972 myself, and it was in existence by then but still a fairly new thing). Men and women didn't room together, though; there were men and women on the same floor, but only members of the same sex could be roommates (officially, anyway). My husband (to be) was one of the people who lived on that floor the very first year, and he has very fond memories of it. He says it was more of a brother/sister kind of atmosphere than some kind of steamy sex scene.

The year my hubby lived on the coed floor, it was a brand new thing, really kind of an experiment. But it went well, and as time went on, coed housing became more and more common on that campus. I moved out of the dorms myself in 1973, and I have no idea what percentage of the housing is coed now, but I'd bet most, if not all. It's really no big deal, and it wasn't a big deal, even all the way back in the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies