Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
And don’t hold your breath waiting for corporations to handout something better.
Corporations are in business to make a profit , not give handouts!
My attitude has always been , my employer is providing me with the job, if I dont like the terms of that job, I am free to go find one that has something better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Corporations are in business to make a profit , not give handouts!
My attitude has always been , my employer is providing me with the job, if I dont like the terms of that job, I am free to go find one that has something better!
Simple and to the point!! I don't understand what is so hard for some to understand about this concept.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Simple and to the point!! I don't understand what is so hard for some to understand about this concept.
But some of us do not have skills or the education needed for a better job so it's hard to find better jobs. Not every one is college material.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
Quote:
I see no companies taking advantage of its workers. The employment contract should be between the employee and the employer, without any outside interference, unless one of the parties reneges on the contract.
The problem is that employees and employers don't have equal bargain under such a system, hence that's why unions were created. I'm sure our opinions differ where some people think there are some basic rights that should be afforded to employees. At least there have been some progress so companies can't let people go because of ANY reason. Do you disagree with the restrictions put on employers under acts such as FMLA, ADA, etc.?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But some of us do not have skills or the education needed for a better job so it's hard to find better jobs. Not every one is college material.
The best way to get skills is OJT, "on the job training"! I am a48 year old high school dropout who has never had the same job for more than three years. I now continually turn down very good paying jobs because I prefer to be self employed. Never needed a union to speak on my behalf.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
The big Detroit Auto Show just happened.

Here Comes China!

... it's only a matter of time before the true price for excessive Union wages, benefits and perks resolves itself with finality- that being the complete death of a productive US auto industry. Right now, they're living off decades of fat... We will live to see a day when an "American Car" is just as dated a concept as an American made pair of socks or a computer with American made components.
And of course excessive CEO salaries, inferior car designs, gas guzzling, planned obsolescence, etc. couldn't possibly have anything to do with that... it's all the ungrateful, "pampered" workers who live so much better than the victimized stockholders and CEO's who are forced to pay them almost a 100th of what they make, or some ridiculously HIGH percentage like that.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
I see no companies taking advantage of its workers.
That's because of the $200 Ayn Rand 3-D Sunglasses (manufactured in India by sweatshop children) that you are most likely wearing.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The best way to get skills is OJT, "on the job training"! I am a48 year old high school dropout who has never had the same job for more than three years. I now continually turn down very good paying jobs because I prefer to be self employed. Never needed a union to speak on my behalf.
Your observations have suddenly become much more understandable. We see you now!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
I'm not a union member, nor ever have been. I've always had white collar corporate types of jobs. However, with the immigration problem what it is, I'm starting to see the benefit of unions. That as well as the benefits union employees receive.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:11 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
The problem is that employees and employers don't have equal bargain under such a system, hence that's why unions were created. I'm sure our opinions differ where some people think there are some basic rights that should be afforded to employees. At least there have been some progress so companies can't let people go because of ANY reason. Do you disagree with the restrictions put on employers under acts such as FMLA, ADA, etc.?
Absolutely... just as I wouldn't force you to be friends with your neighbor just because it makes the job of the police easier when you don't dislike your neighbors.

If I start up a business with my money, no one should have any say in how I spend *my* money. If I wish to hire all exotic women to give me back massages all day long, and they agree to do so for $3 an hour... then it's no one's business but ours.

Now if I am ignorant enough to think that I can run a successful business by limiting my hiring to a certain gender, race, religion, etc... then I will hurt my business in a few ways. First, by limiting the pool in which I select employees, I limit the pool of potentially qualified candidates... potentially qualified above and beyond my limited pool. Second, by not hiring a diverse group of individuals, I limit myself to people who tend to think alike... and in solving business problems, you need people from diverse backgrounds to attack a problem from multiple angles. Lastly, by limiting my employees to a certain group, I run the risk of limiting my clients as they may choose not to do business with someone who obviously is narrow minded.

The same applies to pay and benefits. If I choose not to be competitive in the marketplace, I will limit my pool of job applicants as well as directly affecting customer satisfaction and efficiency, which impact the bottom line.

Employment should be performed under a contract, which should be agreed to by both parties. The court system should be used if there is a breach of contract by either party... but the government shouldn't be involved in telling me how I should spend my time or money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies