Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Obama should have stick to being community organizer in Chicago.

You speak for all blacks? Lol.......what has Carsons being wrong about again?....because he is not a black democrat liberal.....ok
You do a great job projecting and avoiding the actual points being made.

Obama is 7 years in, get over it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Carson needs to be careful. The last black man to come out and state that there was a problem in the black community was convicted by the media without even having a chance to defend himself.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:26 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yet how many people even know the words, but rush to protect hip hop to be cool?

How many parents let their young children listen to music degrading women and wonder why their little girl hates herself or has self-esteem issues???

Just look at the women of hip hop most only act happy, none fill the shoes of rock women of the 60's & 70'.

Tina Turner everything these women are not!
And you can understand all of it. Normally I don't mind some cursing and such, but a lot of the rap I've heard is just over the top and way too vulgar. People like to bash metal too, but I find metal lyrics to be decent usually to really insightful. Of course there is crap, but it's not the mainstream, unlike rap. The only insightful rap seems to be a few bands like Wu Tang Clan.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You do a great job projecting and avoiding the actual points being made.

Obama is 7 years in, get over it already.
What point is that, that rap culture is good for the black youth?

I cant say anything bad about Obama now without his fan base taking it personal?.....lol

Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 AM

391 posts, read 454,257 times
He's right because places like Compton and South BX were "amazing communities" before hip hop came along and destroyed them...
what a fool...

Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
What point is that, that rap culture is good for the black youth?

I cant say anything bad about Obama now without his fan base taking it personal?.....lol
I'm not a fan of Obama, I just try to be fair to him. The rap culture has fairly little ties to Obama. Chicago has been bubbling over with crime for years now.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been feeling that way about age 18. To be a an 18 year-old freshman in college again. At the same time, I'm in a better position today.

A part of me does have the urge to DJ a party. Sometimes I wonder how many people under 30 would want that. I listen to alot of old school R&B(Earth Wind and fire, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder,etc). I'm currently listening to George Benson.

My music tastes can be described as interesting. I primarily like the oldies R&B stuff, the stuff my parents grew up with. I also listen to some music made in other parts of the world. Towards the end of my college career, I really started getting into Bossa Nova, particularly Chico Buarque and Toquinho. On some days I would listen to singers like Gino Vannelli, Player,

One song from my high school days I can honestly say I like is Hey Ya by Outkast. Every time I hear that song, I think about my senior year, and how great it was going to be to graduate, get away and move on to college.

Not only does the parent need to man up, the kid does too.

You would be suprised what young kids like. My 12 year old likes a lot of the stuff that my wife and I grew up with. Of course, he is in the room when we're playing music, so he's been a bit indoctrinated, but that isn't a bad thing. He likes MJ too! The song that reminds me of my senior year is Hole Hearted by Extreme... it automatically takes me back to a simpler time. That and More Than Words which is also by Extreme, and my class song!

I agree too that at some point a kid has to grow up, and know right from wrong.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am more likely to say that hip-hop isn't a cause, but rather, an add-on. There were issues with violence and drugs before hip-hop even got popular. Hip-hop just glorified it.
I agree, but at this point whether the chicken or the egg came first is almost irrelevant.

After a while, cause and effect can tend to feed off each other. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I don't think most people who would tend to agree with Carson believe that all hip hop is bad or that it hasn't had some positive effects also.

But it's pretty obvious when you look at the big picture that most of the content/lyrics/culture that the worst of the genre reflects, it also promotes.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
I blame hip hop for the slavery. Oh, wait . . . .

Mick

Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Uh, I don't think Tina Turner was particularly happy in the 60's and 70's for some reason.
She still had respect for herself, she wasn't drug induced or a sl*t......how many of these will make it to 70 with the grace Tina Turner showed. These women will probably not be dancing in 6 inch heels at 60!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Chris Brown travelled back in time to show Ike how to handle a ho. :P
You are not implying TT was a ho....if so your thinking is out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies