Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:52 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Crime is down in the Black community.

Here is a nice article debunking the theory
Blaming rap for social ills defies history, logicPopular music doesn't create reality, it reflects it - Chicago Tribune

an opinion article from Yan Dominic Searcy and you say that is "fact"?

Violent crime is down in Chicago in the black communities????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:58 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
is that a sarcastic question to a real debate?

let me guess, you are from the crowd that only black people can talk about the problems in the black communities, no other race is allow to comment.

well Ben Carson is black and has lived many years poor in the black community.....does he counts??? NAH, he doesn't fit the liberal narrative in the black communities,,,,he is an uncle Tom?,,,,,right?
Nope -- just your usual hypocrite.

Quote:
“As I’ve said, we received food stamps and couldn’t have made it without them.” (Ben Carson)
Quote:
“By the time I reached ninth grade, mother had made such strides that she received nothing but food stamps. She couldn’t have provided for us and kept up the house without that subsidy.”
Quote:
"When you rob someone of their incentive to go out there and improve themselves, you are not doing them any favors. When you take somebody and pat them on the head and say, ‘There, there, you poor little thing. … Let me give you housing subsidies, let me give you free health care because you can’t do that.’ What would be much more empowering is to use our intellect and our resources to give those people a way up and out.”
Will the real Ben Carson please stand up?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
an opinion article from Yan Dominic Searcy and you say that is "fact"?

Violent crime is down in Chicago in the black communities????
Consider this. Chicago had over 900 murders per year in the 1980s. Today Chicago gets about 500.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
crime is down from the 80s in all communities. That was when America decided to get tough on crime. The majority of criminals are kept in prisons and jails now, better to have the high prison population than high crime.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
crime is down from the 80s in all communities. That was when America decided to get tough on crime. The majority of criminals are kept in prisons and jails now, better to have the high prison population than high crime.
Perhaps it is a contributor. However, many of those criminals eventually get released. Many go back into crime once again. One thing about the prison system is this. It might temporarily keep individuals from committing crimes in the streets, but it won't deter them.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It certainly had its moments. In some ways I miss it. In others? Well... I can't stand a lot of what passes for today's mainstream music, be it hip hop, or top 40, and to spin it in a club would make my ears bleed. Secondly, I don't miss the late nights. I like being home with the family on weekends. I'm going to be 42, so I guess I'm starting to show my age.

Eminem is speaking the truth. I mean, when I was young I listened to some pretty violent stuff, metal and rap included. But I also knew that if I f***ed up, my parents would kick my a**! Nothing wrong with a parent putting a little fear into their kids to keep them on the straight and narrow.
I've been in a club maybe two times. I hated both times. I would go into the club feeling good, and coming out feeling rotten. So many people smoking in the club, it's too loud so I had to scream just so someone would hear me. And some of the people there, well, this is when my social awkwardness really came to bite me. The music wasn't really to my liking. The time when I was happy with the music is whenever some Michael Jackson songs were played. Most of the music being played today doesn't appeal to me.

I don't have a family yet(I'm still single and 30 isn't far away). However, I'm getting to the point where I night at the club doesn't appeal to me. I'm starting to feel my age too. People frequently tell me I look much younger than 28, which is probably true. However, the older I get, the more intolerant my body is getting in terms of sleep deprivation. I could stay up and get by on less than 5 hours of sleep a night. Now it's catching up with me.

One thing about the kids I remember who got into so much trouble, the parents seemed nonchalant about it. One kid vandalized my house when I was a kid. My father confronted the kid's father, and , well, let's just say the father was ready to defend his son. Last I checked, that kid ended up in jail for burglary or some other crime.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
I'm half breed.....I guess I'm racist towards myself also!

throwing the racist card on everything.......let me guess.....liberal Democrat?
You're a half breed? I suppose one half of you is human. What's the other half.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Fascinating comments from one who aspires to be president.

Ben Carson blames hip-hop for the deterioration of black communities
I think Ben Carson is being racist. Hip hop has had a massive influence on white kids, as well, and on youth in general.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been in a club maybe two times. I hated both times. I would go into the club feeling good, and coming out feeling rotten. So many people smoking in the club, it's too loud so I had to scream just so someone would hear me. And some of the people there, well, this is when my social awkwardness really came to bite me. The music wasn't really to my liking. The time when I was happy with the music is whenever some Michael Jackson songs were played. Most of the music being played today doesn't appeal to me.

I used to love going to the clubs back in the day. It was a reason I ended up becoming a DJ. I was like "man I can do this!" No doubt about it though you do meet some strange and interesting people.

I don't have a family yet(I'm still single and 30 isn't far away). However, I'm getting to the point where I night at the club doesn't appeal to me. I'm starting to feel my age too. People frequently tell me I look much younger than 28, which is probably true. However, the older I get, the more intolerant my body is getting in terms of sleep deprivation. I could stay up and get by on less than 5 hours of sleep a night. Now it's catching up with me.

God to be 28 again! I'll be 42, so trust me I am feeling my age. Up past midnight on a Friday or Saturday now is late for me! I still scratch that DJ itch, because we'll do "music night" at my house where I play a mash up of songs on You Tube! Stuff my wife and I grew up with, to what our parents listened to, and even some new stuff! I think my absolute favorite new song is Cruise by Florida/Georgia Line with Nelly. It such a summer song, and being that summer is my favorite time of year, well... it just fits! One minute it could be 50 Cent, the next minute CCR, the next Kid Rock to Heart. You just never know!

One thing about the kids I remember who got into so much trouble, the parents seemed nonchalant about it. One kid vandalized my house when I was a kid. My father confronted the kid's father, and , well, let's just say the father was ready to defend his son. Last I checked, that kid ended up in jail for burglary or some other crime.

I understand that a parent's natural reaction is to defend their kid. However; if the kid is guilty...well it is what is, and the parent needs to man up and deal with it.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
There's always been theories for ____ keeping the black man down where it is cocaine, marijuana, hip-hop, gangs, etc. I honestly don't think hip-hop does keep the black man down. If that is the case there should be a drastic increase in crime for black America starting the 1980's rather than the 1960's/70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies