Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Ben didn't go back far enough. Break dancing drove millions of black kids into drug use, and the funky chicken caused the Vietnam war. Bebop caused the Cold War, and the Foxtrot caused the Great Depression. Ragtime caused race riots to break out.

Like an old friend who's black once said: "Not all God's children got rhythm." I think Dr. Ben is upset because he was one who didn't get any. After all, if a white kid can do it, why can't he? it's got to be frustrating.

The only difference between rap and a country music recitation is the syncopation and the subject matter. Each uses it's own funky language. And the line between those two is pretty narrow these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Whoever doesn't see the connection with today's black youth and the music they listen to is willfully ignorant. They think it's cool to act out what the lyrics in the songs say, like beatin some ho's, bustin some caps for being disrespected, slinging rock and stealin.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 AM

698 posts, read 588,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Whoever doesn't see the connection with today's black youth and the music they listen to is willfully ignorant. They think it's cool to act out what the lyrics in the songs say, like beatin some ho's, bustin some caps for being disrespected, slinging rock and stealin.
What about the country music with lyrics about driving drunk, fighting, date rape and getting high? I guess they're white so its alright?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Ben didn't go back far enough. Break dancing drove millions of black kids into drug use, and the funky chicken caused the Vietnam war. Bebop caused the Cold War, and the Foxtrot caused the Great Depression. Ragtime caused race riots to break out.

Like an old friend who's black once said: "Not all God's children got rhythm." I think Dr. Ben is upset because he was one who didn't get any. After all, if a white kid can do it, why can't he? it's got to be frustrating.

The only difference between rap and a country music recitation is the syncopation and the subject matter. Each uses it's own funky language. And the line between those two is pretty narrow these days.
You're kidding, right? Funky language? Syncopation? No. Hip-hop is a culture and it drives and thrives within the black community to the point that millions of inner city youth dream of getting a record deal while simultaneously wasting the most productive years of their lives in that pursuit. And those that don't actually seek record deals? Hip hop is still pervasive. A rap star hits on something big and next thing you know thousands of youth are dressed just like him/her...tatted up like him/her....gold teeth like him/her......most of which would never, ever lead to a productive job in the real world.

So while you're over there making excuses and disingenuously comparing it to country music, the rest of the world recognizes that hip hop has in fact had a detrimental effect on certain segments of American youth. You are so far out of touch with reality its embarrassing.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
What about the country music with lyrics about driving drunk, fighting, date rape and getting high? I guess they're white so its alright?
Driving drunk? Date rape? I dare you to point us to country music lyrics that espouse these things you mention.

Lyrics are one thing. We're talking about culture. Show us how country music as evolved to affect youth culture in America. I double dare ya.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:43 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
As soon as country fans start shooting up neighborhoods, going around knocking out unsuspecting black people, raping and beating their ho's and slinging rock on the street corners I will care. Until then your analogy is ****.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 AM

698 posts, read 588,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Driving drunk? Date rape? I dare you to point us to country music lyrics that espouse these things you mention.
From Jason Aldean:
I’m chilling on a dirt road. Laid back swerving like I’m George JonesSmoke rolling out the window. Ice cold beer sitting in the console

Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
This guy continues to ruin his legacy. Typical book smart individual who is trying to solve a complex problem with a simple solution.

Did he watch FlashDance last night ?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
As soon as country fans start shooting up neighborhoods, going around knocking out unsuspecting black people, raping and beating their ho's and slinging rock on the street corners I will care. Until then your analogy is ****.
hip hop made them do this stuff?

white people kill, rape, beat up their women and sell drugs too...

but I guess it's due to hip hop.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
The big picture that EVERYONE here is missing is that in the end hip hop is ENTERTAINMENT! Nothing more! Nothing less! It is UP TO THE PARENTS to teach their kids what is right and what is wrong, and to help them differentiate between what is real and what is not! I mean, for cryin' out loud I watched Looney Tunes as a kid, and watched the coyote get crushed, blown up, fall off cliffs and not die, and I learned at a very young age that it wasn't real! I also watched my fair share of violent shows, and was also taught at a young age to differentiate what was right, and what was wrong. In other words, stop letting the damn tv, radio, I-pod or whatever be the damn babysitter, and teach your kids! Yes I realize life often imitates art, in this case with hip hop being the culprit, but what are we proposing here? Should we ban it? Or should the responsibility be on the parents to educate their kids, and not rely on Hollywood or the music industry to influence them? Being a parent isn't easy, but as a parent you do need to pay attention, and filter what your kids watch, or listen to, or at least get them to know the difference of right from wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies