Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Elephant Man can also be considered Jamaican Dance Hall. If you're almost 29, then you more than likely have heard the song Jook Gal by Elephant Man ft Twista. It's early 2000s, and you can find it on You Tube, but I used to do a mix that started with Move Your Body (Nina Sky) to Culo (Pit Bull ft Lil Jon) to Jook Gal (Elephant Man). A little tid bit, I was one of the first DJs in the Cleveland area to break out Culo in the clubs. 2 weeks later, the top 40 station is playing it in their rotation. If you want to look up another song ft him, look up the Get Low remix with him, Lil Jon and Busta Rhymes. Once I got a hold of that remix, it was the only version that I would play!
I don't know if I ever heard that song back then. What I remember was "Big Pimpin' "by Jay-Z, and a classmate introduced me to Project Pat around 2002. I remember when Juvenile's "Back that thing up" was playing on the radio around 1999/2000. Actually, I can't use the actual name of the song here. Interestingly enough, my father managed to turn me off to most rap music when I was about 16. He was raised in the inner city(I wasn't though). He knew what "pimp" and "gat" meant. He had to explain that to me. Some White students knew the uncut version of Juvenile's song. I didn't. I didn't know that rapper was even talking about. It was a White female who explained what it meant. I'll put it to you like this. The amount of rap music I knew, it was not much, and I only knew it because there were other kids listening to it.

To put it into perspective, in 6th grade, my bus driver was a mid-20s White female. Numbers of Black kids on the bus? 3, including me. The bus driver frequently played a radio station where rap music was being played. Among the songs played: Na Na Na by Master P. I have relatives from New Orleans and I didn't even know of this rapper until 1998. My bus driver was far from a violent person. In fact, the most violent people I knew from my bus route in 6th grade were kids who listened to alternative music and were involved in skateboarding.

A bit longwinded. Blaming rap music is kind of a cop out.

Quote:
Sounds about right.

Wasn't a huge Biggie fan, but I love Hypnotize, and Notorious Thugs ft. Bone Thugs N Harmony. Hey I'm from Cleveland, and so are they!
90s rap had the east coast-west coast thing going on. I had no idea until many years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:13 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

90s rap had the east coast-west coast thing going on. I had no idea until many years later.
Sure they did, in the same way that professional wrestling has things going on. It is a minstrel show.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,514 times
I like Kendrick Lamar.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
I can understand where Carson is coming from. However, I disagree that hip-hop was mainly to blame. It didn't get popular until the 1980s. There was alot of violence coming from impoverished Black youths in the 70s and late 60s. Consider all of the riots that took place.

A better question would be this. Why is it that White youths can listen to hip-hop(and especially the violent hip-hop) and not go out and do the things described in those songs?

he never said "mainly" or the "ONLY" cause...he said it had a big negative effect.....he has a valid point.

there is a difference is white youths just listening to rap and black kids living that lifestyle in the black communities because its embraced.

the rap culture is not embraced in the white communities. Calling females ******es and hos and calling each other the N word and not respecting the police and authority is not embraced in the white community even though some whites listens to it for entertainment.....its different in the black community, its a way of life. How they talk, how they dress and how they act.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Sure they did, in the same way that professional wrestling has things going on. It is a minstrel show.
I don't watch wrestling. Even more interesting, one wrestler actually is a rapper.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
I don't know if I ever heard that song back then. What I remember was "Big Pimpin' "by Jay-Z, and a classmate introduced me to Project Pat around 2002. I remember when Juvenile's "Back that thing up" was playing on the radio around 1999/2000. Actually, I can't use the actual name of the song here. Interestingly enough, my father managed to turn me off to most rap music when I was about 16. He was raised in the inner city(I wasn't though). He knew what "pimp" and "gat" meant. He had to explain that to me. Some White students knew the uncut version of Juvenile's song. I didn't. I didn't know that rapper was even talking about. It was a White female who explained what it meant. I'll put it to you like this. The amount of rap music I knew, it was not much, and I only knew it because there were other kids listening to it.

To put it into perspective, in 6th grade, my bus driver was a mid-20s White female. Numbers of Black kids on the bus? 3, including me. The bus driver frequently played a radio station where rap music was being played. Among the songs played: Na Na Na by Master P. I have relatives from New Orleans and I didn't even know of this rapper until 1998. My bus driver was far from a violent person. In fact, the most violent people I knew from my bus route in 6th grade were kids who listened to alternative music and were involved in skateboarding.

A bit longwinded. Blaming rap music is kind of a cop out.

Had a mix with Back That A** Up into Hypnotize, to Still Not a Player by Big Pun. Big Pimpin' on the other hand, I had a hard time finding a mix for it. Just one of those songs where it was hard to find the beat. As for the east-coast west coast thing..... well... I was always a bit more partial to west coast stuff.

You're right though. Simply blaming the music is a cop out! Christ I listened to metal and they said the same things! At any rate, the blame falls mostly on the parenting. Or lack of it.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
he never said "mainly" or the "ONLY" cause...he said it had a big negative effect.....he has a valid point.

there is a difference is white youths just listening to rap and black kids living that lifestyle in the black communities because its embraced.

the rap culture is not embraced in the white communities. Calling females ******es and hos and calling each other the N word an not respecting the police and authority is not embraced in the white community even though some whites listens to it for entertainment.....its different in the black community, its a way of life. How they talk, how they dress and how they act.
That stuff was going on before rap music even started coming out. My point is that if it was the main cause, then White kids would be doing alot more of that stuff. Rap music didn't even start out like that. The gangster rap we see today reflects the decay that was already there.

And that stuff is embraced mainly among the underclass segment of the Black population. Black middle class youths who listen to that music aren't acting that crap out like underclass Blacks youths do.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
I like Kendrick Lamar.
Ah, the radio disney camp of hip-hop. Good stuff.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Ah, the radio disney camp of hip-hop. Good stuff.

who do you like?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
That stuff was going on before rap music even started coming out. My point is that if it was the main cause, then White kids would be doing alot more of that stuff. Rap music didn't even start out like that. The gangster rap we see today reflects the decay that was already there.

And that stuff is embraced mainly among the underclass segment of the Black population. Black middle class youths who listen to that music aren't acting that crap out like underclass Blacks youths do.

violence in the black communities especially from the youth has been worse since rap came along.

your are missing the point.....just listening to rap just like watching horror flicks or violent movies will not make a person violent...........embracing that culture in every real life is a problem and rap is embraced in the black community as a way of life....not in the white communities.

that's the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies