Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You have to admit that it's odd that they are closing down 6 stores, all on the exact same day, with little notice given to their employees all for the exact same reason, plumbing issues. I bet Walmart could build a new store in less then 6 months time. It's weird.
It's actually not odd.

Very reasonable explanations like they've just realized its a design defect in a number of stores.

Oh, and leaving open stores with a known defect when you are a huge litigation target like Walmart? In Sue-happy California? OMG....you have no idea what sort of mass-tort for "exposing poor people to mold" blah blah blah would cost them.

Another possible explanation is that it's being done to squish a unionization movement and the closings are mostly an excuse.

However, I'm sure Alex Jones will tell us soon enough how this means the financial apocalypse is coming and that we should buy water purifiers, canned food, gold etc. from his sponsors.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's actually not odd.

Very reasonable explanations like they've just realized its a design defect in a number of stores.

Oh, and leaving open stores with a known defect when you are a huge litigation target like Walmart? In Sue-happy California? OMG....you have no idea what sort of mass-tort for "exposing poor people to mold" blah blah blah would cost them.

Another possible explanation is that it's being done to squish a unionization movement and the closings are mostly an excuse.

However, I'm sure Alex Jones will tell us soon enough how this means the financial apocalypse is coming and that we should buy water purifiers, canned food, gold etc. from his sponsors.
The things that make it odd is that they closed at least 5 stores on the same day in separate states at the exact same time with no notice. It's odd that they didn't obtain any permits prior to the closure. It's odd because Walmart has been known to undergo complete expansions and remodels without closing for a single day. Six months is a long time when talking about lost revenue.

It could be about Union Busting. That's a valid question. Those of us asking questions are doing so because we are questioning if this really is due to a plumbing issue. The reason they are giving doesn't add up and that's what some of us are wondering about. Is there another reason that they are not telling the public about?

I haven't posted any links to Alex Jones. I've only posted links to mainstream news sources. Asking questions about these things does not make someone an "Alex Jones follower" or even a conspiracy theorist.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
A. I'm not a conspiracy theorist; at all and never post in those threads, so your opening premise is a false one. I will address your fallacies and red herrings, one by one:

1. Got a link? The picture of the one in Pico Rivera looks like many built in the early 2000's in SoCal where we moved from. I mean, how would you even know they were all built in the 80's, did you pull building permits?

2. Fair enough, but, 6 months?!?!? Plus, as many have mentioned in this thread already, many have been to Walmarts and other stores where they did renos but remained open. And, if you are going to close for such a long period of time, you get permits, weeks in advance. None of the stores got permits prior to closing.

3. I don't understand the relevancy of that point.

4. Okay, see answer in 2

5. Link? And again, 2

6. Okay

7. Gotta link?

Most of your rebuttals were vague generalities and pure speculation on your behalf. Again, 5 stores across 4 timezones all closed on the same day, with no prior notice, all for the same odd reason (plumbing issues) no permits were pulled and this isn't odd in any way, shape or form to you? Ha.
let's start with the bolded
I didn't specify anyone...I said the usual conspiracy nuts sure flocked to this thread.... and...

you now state you NEVER posted to the conspiracy theory threads.......hmmmm
here is you in an anti-vax anti monsato conspiracy thread.... //www.city-data.com/forum/29787676-post32.html

you want links to what?
I am here in Afghanistan...the reservist that sits right across from me is a uppermanagement in walmart (ok area)...so I ASKED HIM DIRECTLY

the facts are 5 out of 4177 store in the usa (11000 store around the world) are being closed for repairs, for a MAX of six months

fact..the quarter just ended in march

fact they will all be opened back up by Christmas

fact ALL the employees will be taken care of, as walmart has a shortage of employees

how about enough with the insults, just because I gave facts

Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
You made zero attempt to address the issues and instead engaged in ad hominens. Your post was lazy. I dare you to address each point, one by one. I will give them to you, because you've already proven to be a lazy poster and most likely wouldn't be bothered to go back a page and read them:

1. Five Walmarts, in 4 states across 4 timezones all closed on the same day.

2. No advanced notice was given to any employees in any of the stores.

3. All 5 stores were said to be closing for the exact same reason (plumbing issues) for 6 months, although at least one, in Midland Texas had a recent renovation, including plumbing.

4. No permits were applied for in any of the locales, despite the fact that it is standard operating procedure to apply for building permits weeks in advance of scheduled repairs.

There are 4 simple points for you to address, one by one. You can answer them or continue to engage in lazy, personal attacks. The choice is yours.
Ok, I'll bite.

1. What's there to address? Seriously, I'm not following if there is a question or point there....I mean Walmart is huge, they have tons of stores in every state and yes...different timezones.

2. Walmart corporate isn't known for giving a crap about it's minimum wage worker bees. Also, See #4.

3. It could be that an inspection of the midland store after the renovation found issues and those were found in other stores too. COuld also be that the rennovations were to things like bathrooms and waste water while the problem they are fixing could be related to the sprinkler\fire system.

4. If you discover an issue and don't close the stores and THEN go get permits you are risking 9-figure class action lawsuits if say fire sprinkles don't work right and 5 people die or people claim mold illness etc.

You have whole plane fleets grounded after a crash or recalls of happy-meal toys after some kid pokes an eye out or restaurants that close all their play areas after an accident until they get the problem reviewed etc etc etc.

Basically, it sounds like Walmart is worried about litigation.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
From WTSP 10 News, air quotes:

Customers skeptical about Walmart plumbing problems

Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
let's start with the bolded
I didn't specify anyone...I said the usual conspiracy nuts sure flocked to this thread.... and...

you now state you NEVER posted to the conspiracy theory threads.......hmmmm
here is you in an anti-vax anti monsato conspiracy thread.... //www.city-data.com/forum/29787676-post32.html

you want links to what?
I am here in Afghanistan...the reservist that sits right across from me is a uppermanagement in walmart (ok area)...so I ASKED HIM DIRECTLY

the facts are 5 out of 4177 store in the usa (11000 store around the world) are being closed for repairs, for a MAX of six months

fact..the quarter just ended in march

fact they will all be opened back up by Christmas

fact ALL the employees will be taken care of, as walmart has a shortage of employees

how about enough with the insults, just because I gave facts
Neither of those threads are conspiracies, nice try. You lied and said all of those stores were built in the 80's. Admit and retract your lie. Or provide a link to that claim. Since you made that up, what more did you make up? Why were no permits pulled? You didn't address that. Many Walmarts, including a few here in Greenville stayed open while renos were ongoing. The one in Midland, Texas had a recent renovation, including plumbing. I'm sorry, but your sloppy posting is rife with fallacies and diminishes your credibility.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You have to admit that it's odd that they are closing down 6 stores, all on the exact same day, with little notice given to their employees all for the exact same reason, plumbing issues. I bet Walmart could build a new store in less then 6 months time. It's weird.
I don't see what's odd. Walmart is a big corporation requiring a big bureaucracy. So they pick a date to close the 6 (or is it 5?) stores than need repairs. Gosh, out of their thousands of stores, is it a surprise that 5-6 need plumbing repairs?

Quote:
Okay, then just say that, why the "plumbing reasons"? And who no advanced notice? And how the heck does it take 6 months to get plumbing fixed, did someone take the worlds biggest dump and clog up the pipes? Many stores renovate and still stay open. This is just.....odd.
Why do you care so deeply? You are definitely inferring there's some hidden agenda here.

Quote:
And if they don't? Why no advanced notice? And all 5 gave the exact same excuse; plumbing issues?

Like I said, I don't buy into the conspiracy, but this is very odd. Don't you think it's odd?
Now it's 5, MissTerri says 6. Oh, well. 5 or 6 out of several thousand does not seem unbelievable to me.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

1. What's there to address? Seriously, I'm not following if there is a question or point there....I mean Walmart is huge, they have tons of stores in every state and yes...different timezones.

2. Walmart corporate isn't known for giving a crap about it's minimum wage worker bees. Also, See #4.

3. It could be that an inspection of the midland store after the renovation found issues and those were found in other stores too. COuld also be that the rennovations were to things like bathrooms and waste water while the problem they are fixing could be related to the sprinkler\fire system.

4. If you discover an issue and don't close the stores and THEN go get permits you are risking 9-figure class action lawsuits if say fire sprinkles don't work right and 5 people die or people claim mold illness etc.

You have whole plane fleets grounded after a crash or recalls of happy-meal toys after some kid pokes an eye out or restaurants that close all their play areas after an accident until they get the problem reviewed etc etc etc.

Basically, it sounds like Walmart is worried about litigation.
Stores do not close down for 6 months of renovations without getting permits first, this just doesn't happen!! For crying out loud one of the commissioners in Pico Rivera is on record, both tv and print as saying this; it's in this freaking thread. What do planes have to do with this? I'm just shocked that so many people think all of this odd coincidences are just that; coincidences. Oh well.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with plumbing or military exercises. There must have been some union organizing or hints of labor unrest at these locations. Retailers, no matter how big, do not close down entire stores for repairs. I've been in the retail field for a long time, and have experience with remodeling stores and operational and maintenance issues. Unless there were major asbestos issues, which I highly doubt, retailers do not close stores temporarily, nor do they pay the employees 2 months pay in a situation like this. Walmart permanently closed a store in Canada because of unionization.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
I don't see what's odd. Walmart is a big corporation requiring a big bureaucracy. So they pick a date to close the 6 (or is it 5?) stores than need repairs. Gosh, out of their thousands of stores, is it a surprise that 5-6 need plumbing repairs?

Why do you care so deeply? You are definitely inferring there's some hidden agenda here.

Now it's 5, MissTerri says 6. Oh, well. 5 or 6 out of several thousand does not seem unbelievable to me.
No business, especially with a team of 6 and 7 figure attorneys on retainer closes down for 6 months of repairs without first getting building permits, this does not happen. Please explain this. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies