Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They clearly were "aiding and abetting" the murder of Kathryn Steinle. Their "sanctuary city" agenda allowed a known illegal alien and felon to walk the streets and murder Kathryn Steinle.
---------------------------------------
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Sanchez was turned over to San Francisco authorities in March, and that the agency had asked for him to remain in custody until immigration authorities could pick him up. That request was not honored, ICE told The Associated Press. Sanchez's criminal history includes seven prior felony convictions, four of which involve narcotics charges, ICE said in a statement.

San Francisco is a "sanctuary city," one of a host of places across the U.S. that gives some protection to illegal immigrants by barring local officials from asking people about their immigration status. Steinle's death has sparked debate over whether sanctuary cities need to re-examine their policies.

Donald Trump: Kathryn Steinle Death on Pier 14 Shows Need for Border Wall - NBC News
He had seven prior felony convictions.
What happened to "three strikes?"

The fault lies with whomever released him after felony #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:07 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
He had seven prior felony convictions.
What happened to "three strikes?"

The fault lies with whomever released him after felony #2.
I believe three strikes refers to violent crimes. Sanchez's prior convictions were for non-violent crimes.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. End the supply of cheap labor and wages will increase.
Actually, it isn't. Cite the Constitutional amendment that allows for anchor baby birthright citizenship.
They are born on US land.

Many of my nieces and nephews are "anchor babies".

I am sure is not in the Constitution..........but, it is a law.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Former Seattle Police chief Gil Kerlikowske, who is ardently anti-gun, once had a Glock pistol stolen out of his parked vehicle. It was never recovered. Funny how those who yowl loudest for restrictions on others can't handle their own guns in a responsible manner.

Kerlikowske later was made drug czar by Obama, and now is head of US Customs.
True. I guess some get a pass for blatant irresponsibility. The last place I rented, had some old surplus conex containers on the property. The property manager gave me a key for them, and said the owner wanted them cleaned out. If I would do so, I got a break on my rent for the month, and if I wanted anything in the boxes , help myself. Cool! Who knows what I might find. Not a roll of the dice one sees everyday.

In the second box, I found an old military ammo crate, in the back. Wrapped in canvas, and buried under some old bike parts. Inside, wrapped in plastic and cosmo, was an original Street Sweeper, revolving shotgun. Holy $***!!!! These weapons were classified as a "destructive device" , same as land mines and hand grenades, under Clinton, and the original AWB. There was no tax stamp on it, which put me in possession of something that could land me some stiff prison time. Not something I could take to the local range for a play day.

So, I called my buddy at the gun store, told him I needed to have a chat. He set it up , with his ATF guy, for me to turn the bloody thing in, without getting detained or arrested. From my house, it was the best move. I wanted NOTHING to do with the thing. Got it through the grapevine, later, the thing was, indeed, hotter than Hell. Heisted from, you guessed it, a Federal armory. A rather long time ago. Back in the late 80s. So, federal guns wind up in the wrong hands, as much as any others, from my experiences.

Interesting how that information is only, selectively, made public. I would say that the vast majority of really choice weaponry, in criminal hands, full auto stuff and things that go boom, did not come from civilian stores. Those goodies are in military and LE warehouses. Not at Cabelas or Joe Bobs Bait and Guns.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Life imitating art.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Did you not read this part? "U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Sanchez was turned over to San Francisco authorities in March, and that the agency had asked for him to remain in custody until immigration authorities could pick him up. That request was not honored, ICE told The Associated Press."

This is where they messed up. I hope the family goes all the way in on the city for promoting all these irresponsible policies.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Pew Research is the recognized authority on unauthorized immigration in the U.S.
According to Pew,unauthorized immigration:

Peaked in 2007

Mexicans make up 52% and are declining. The numbers from Asia, the Carribean, Central America and some ME countries are growing. Europeans and South Americans are unchanged.

6 states account for 60% of the unauthorized population, Texas, Florida, NY, NJ and Illinois.

5.1% of the U.S. workforce

7% of K- 12 students have at least one unauthorized parent.

80% of these students were born in the U.S.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
A law denying all federal funds to any sanctuary city would stop this nonsense in a second.
I agree. Having said this, I acknowledge I do not know the laws as it relates to this sort of thing. There is more than bleeding hearts going on here. It's about the money- using municipal funds to cooperate with the federal government.

Some of these sanctuary cities date back 40 years .

Reportedly, current federal law cannot compel a municipality to comply with federal immigration laws. Who knew?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They are born on US land.

Many of my nieces and nephews are "anchor babies".

I am sure is not in the Constitution..........but, it is a law.

I had not realized that so many herein were unaware of the 14th amendment:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Old 07-08-2015, 11:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Filling jails with criminals is a good thing.
One of the things that occurred to me after seeing this story is that the shooter deliberately committed a crime to ensure his imprisonment in the United States, thereby preventing yet another deportation. As such, I am unconvinced that this legislation would prove a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies