Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You will know what is in it after it passes.
WTH? Thats not even relevant to whats being discussed. AT ALL.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
WTH? Thats not even relevant to whats being discussed. AT ALL.
Yes it is.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I find it hilarious that no Republican wants the job that's third inline to the Presidency. I don't blame them. Boehner's face turned from orange to blue trying to get his own party to actually govern.

I see no strategy other than trying to box the Tea baggers out by making a coalition with the Dems.
Exactly. And I hope that's what Boehner does. They've sure given him enough grief over the years that warrant some payback, and he may finally have the chance to do it. I hope he takes that chance.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Exactly. And I hope that's what Boehner does. They've sure given him enough grief over the years that warrant some payback, and he may finally have the chance to do it. I hope he takes that chance.
It would be the responsible thing to do. A small minority of the party is holding the country hostage. This is the moment to put the dagger in them. I would not count on it, though. The Rs have been kowtowing to the rabid fringe for 7 years and it won't end soon.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:50 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,386 times
Someone needs to sit down and explain to the Republican extremists how government actually works.

They want EVERYTHING with no compromise. Even if somewhere in happy rainbow land they passed whatever ever bill they wanted in the House they won't get the Senate support. If they do manage to get the Senate to pass it as well, the president can still veto it.

While the Republicans have a majority in Congress, they do not have a super majority to override a veto.

They are sitting on their hands refusing to even agree on the next Speaker. I don't know what their end game is. The things they are demanding will not happen. What are they going to do? Just shut down the government until after the election next year?

Where does this mess end? The rest of the world is watching this schism for humor! It's entertainment to them.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Someone needs to sit down and explain to the Republican extremists how government actually works.

They want EVERYTHING with no compromise. Even if somewhere in happy rainbow land they passed whatever ever bill they wanted in the House they won't get the Senate support. If they do manage to get the Senate to pass it as well, the president can still veto it.

While the Republicans have a majority in Congress, they do not have a super majority to override a veto.

They are sitting on their hands refusing to even agree on the next Speaker. I don't know what their end game is. The things they are demanding will not happen. What are they going to do? Just shut down the government until after the election next year?

Where does this mess end? The rest of the world is watching this schism for humor! It's entertainment to them.
If they do that are you going to vote for them?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Quote:

If you put "principle" and "compromise" side by side, they both lose their significance. How do you honestly compromise on principle? You don't. We have a balance of powers in Congress. That is how it is designed.

I don't understand the whining about compromise.

And to the point being discussed concerning the Speakership - The Rhinos are crying that the sky is falling - calling it chaos, along with the media. What is going on is simply that their power is being challenged. That's a good thing.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:

This IS how it is supposed to work. The system is working. They weren't elected to just give everything the Dems want. Too bad so many in this country don't know jack about how things are supposed to work in DC. They aren't "supposed" to compromise on anything if they feel they are getting shafted.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:58 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:

any prog waxing poetic about compromise is a hypocrite.

its not in the liberal lexicon

Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
any prog waxing poetic about compromise is a hypocrite.

its not in the liberal lexicon
How are those Bush tax cuts doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies