Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ha! He does seem to get a little tongue tied doesn't he.
yeah I feel kind of bad for him, I think he's probably a nice man but I can't help but wonder if he has an evil staffer who is writing this stuff for him to make him look like a dufus

Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As a moderate Republican I think this could very well set the stage for the split between the Tea Party crazies and the moderate/centrist Republicans who actually want to govern. The Republicans can then return to the political center and actually govern for the good of the nation by debating and compromising with Democrats ... you know, the way governing is done.
We can only hope. That day can't come soon enough for me.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Just to be clear, all the static about McCarthy's affair has to date come from the right-wingers in Congress.

IMO the circumstantial evidence is so strong that it's naive to think he and Ellmers weren't getting it on. I'm a liberal and I don't give a hang who sleeps with whom. But pragmatically, it was shrewd for them to call him out. Many people do give a hang and the GOP doesn't need the added grief the affair would bring on top of everything else they're dealing with.
From all accounts, McCarthy's wife has a strong religious bent and is known for playing up the Christian-as-victim angle. She's been howing a hard row and my heart goes out to her.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:12 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Maybe but devolution is what we got.

We don`t have anything yet.

What we had was a Republican majority that was almost as self-serving and useless as the Democrat majority it replaced.

What we will have when this process completes remains to be seen, but I am very optimistic.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:32 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
What are you insinuating? McCarthy backed out because of the good of the party? Because Faux just mentioned that he withdrew because of personal life indiscretions.”
Think, grasshopper, think. Stop fighting that false GOP vs DNC war.

People here are laughing at GOP because they drank the MSM koolaid and believe it's party that can't govern. But political parties are not suppose to govern, elected officials do. McCarthy isn't going to be speaker because GOP has individuals who won't tow stupid establishment party line. It's the very reason that Boehner was faulted.

So I suppose they'd rather have full establishment partisans running things. But thankfully most of Americans these don't agree with them.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,048 times
As someone who usually votes Dem on national elections, I'm not getting this excited over this GOP collapse. For all of their problems, poor governing and bad ideas, they are still in charge of the Legislature. How could the Dems not take advantage of this?

Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
The real problem is you answered my question by posing another question. Which basically means you wont answer the question. You might consider speaker of the house.
The real problem is that there are sheep (in both parties) that think in such clouded and partisan terms that they legitimately believe there is an argument that 1 party is better than the other, because of such things as having difficulty picking a leader due to party members not falling into lock step with party hierarchy. These same sheep ignore examples of poor leadership in their chosen favorite party.

Loving your party simply makes you irrational in your thoughts about them.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Basically, its like watching 40 House RWNJs all trying to screw one football at the same time.

Hilarious watching the attempt.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:23 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As a moderate Republican I think this could very well set the stage for the split between the Tea Party crazies and the moderate/centrist Republicans who actually want to govern. The Republicans can then return to the political center and actually govern for the good of the nation by debating and compromising with Democrats ... you know, the way governing is done.
I was thinking the same thing actually. You'll have to somehow expel the fundamentalists and extreme right to bring the party back to the grand ol party's days of Lincoln, Roosevelt and even Reagan. Good luck with that though. Not sure how you do that. Maybe the tea party should actually stop pretending to be a party and actually go form another party outside the Republican tent. I suppose even they know they would be banished from our two party power structure and wilt away. Guess you might have to deal with the zealots. Which means we all do. Hooray.
I also hope this is the beginning of the end for the radicals. It would be nice if the party of Reagan reemerged and I could occasionally vote for a GOP candidate. As it stands currently, the GOP is never going to win the presidency again. In fact, I won't be surprised if they lose control of the House and Senate next time around. People in the middle (like me) are growing increasingly aware of their inability to govern effectively with the Tea Party radicals nipping at the heels of their own leaders all the time.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
The house Republicans can't even run their own caucus let alone the country. It's a sad state since their dysfunction directly impacts our nation. Can't say as I blame McCarthy though... leading house Republicans sounds like the worst job in America right now. All those clapping Boehner's departure and now he can't even leave. That's rich.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/john-...182950226.html
For most of the last nearly 7 years now, Democrats have been "running the country," and look at the mess they have created, not only here at home, but also abroad. I need not detail the problems they have created; they are obvious.

We've had two elections in which the American people sent a strong message; that they are tired of business as usual, and the direction that the country is headed. These elections have resulted in a Republican take-over of both Houses of Congress, and along with that, a strong conservative contingent (negatively labeled, "tea partiers" or "right-wing nut jobs" — take your pick) who have committed to not only doing what they promised to do, but also to assert the Constitutional limits the framers placed on government, demand that people be held to account for their unconstitutional actions against citizens who wish to exercise their constitutional right to free speech (Lois Lerner and the IRS), repeal the unconstitutional so-called "Affordable" Care Act, and, to the extent possible, stop the train wreck of "progressivism" that is destroying the country.

Since those elections, and the power given Republicans by the American people, we have not seen any change, but only a furtherance of the policies that the people voted against. John Boehner, and his lap dogs, have been the primary reason for this.

Under pressure, Boehner resigns. McCarthy who is also no conservative, throws his Party under the bus with a false claim that the Benghazi investigation was all a ruse, and it's only purpose was to destroy Hillary's candidacy (she wasn't even a candidate when the investigation into Benghazi was begun).

The conservative wing heard from their constituency loudly and clearly that McCarthy was not acceptable. Therefore, McCarthy didn't have the votes needed, and he withdrew his name, as he should.

No one is entitled to a position of power merely on the basis of seniority. That's what Democrats do. That is the epitome of corruption in government.

Rather than being an example of Republicans not being able "run their own caucus," this is an example of the power of the people to hold their elected officials to account, and of elected officials that are willing to "buck the system" to do what their constituents elected them to do.

This is a sign that American government might be salvageable, and that the poison that is "progressivism" can actually be turned back, and constitutionalism restored.

McConnell is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies