Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times

Advertisements

Shutting down the beast in DC is a must.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The group of Conservative hardliners known as the House Freedom Caucus plans to vote as a block against Kevin McCarthy as Speaker of the House, instead throwing their support behind Rep. Daniel Webster.

"While it's unlikely that the 40-or-so member caucus will be enough to thwart McCarthy's selection in the closed-door GOP conference Thursday, their refusal to support him spells trouble for when the issue comes to the full House, where 218 votes will be required to elect the next speaker."

House Freedom Caucus Endorses McCarthy Challenger For Speaker

This could set the stage for a protracted floor fight.
When everyone was telling establishment Republicans that the Tea Party Republicans are full or racists and extremist, they decided not to listen and get in bed with them. Now they're paying the piper... Karma is a B...

Old 10-10-2015, 04:30 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Default Republicans unable to even select a new speaker

Looks like the Republicans are so inept that they can't even manage to elect their own speaker. The internal extremists basically made it impossible. Come on guys get it together.

John Boehner's here to stay, for now, with nothing to lose - US News

I've always thought Boehners job was tough as heck, this latest fiasco shows just how tough. They are discovering that its one thing to say extremist sort of things to get elected, but that a significant percentage of those that get elected are in fact as extreme as they claim.

This is how Republics fail.

So, I can't cheer this on. Republicans need to get their act together, and represent. they need to compromise-not just with the other party, but even among themselves. Compromise isnt some betrayal, its how you represent a diverse electorate. Yes you should do your best, and get results that represent your stated positions. But you shouldn't do that at the cost of leading.

Last edited by greywar; 10-10-2015 at 04:48 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Looks like the Republicans are so inept that they can't even manage to elect their own speaker. The internal extremists basically made it impossible. Come on guys get it together.

The complaint of the "extremists" is their voice is not being heard, all they want is yes or no vote and many of those things will have broad support from the population like real immigration reform. Legislation that is brought to the floor is being dictated by a few and the big money. This as we know is an issue in both parties.

It seems to me you should be supporting them even if you don't necessarily agree with their politics.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
how many of the Freedom Caucus are up for reelection next year? They need to go.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This true. Just heard about it on C-Span tonight. Been listening to cable news for two days and nary a peep - even though all the press knew and kept quiet about it.

and, here it is:

Kevin McCarthy's Exit Came After Personal Threat Over Affair Allegations

And Renee Ellmers is asking for prayer. Some guy named Baer had been peppering all the GOP w/emails for weeks about this issue, plus the Department of Homeland Security started editing McCarthy's and Ellmers' Wiki pages linking to reports of the rumors.

Explains everything. I knew McCarthy looked phony when he said - surrounded by family - "I feel good about it."

This is much less about disarray in the GOP caucus and everything about a run-of-the-mill scandal.

Some things never change.
If McCarthy had been elected the complaints would have been the hypocrisy of not holding someone like him accountable for his actions. Hold him accountable and the complaints still continue.

People who do this should be marginalized.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
If McCarthy's alleged extramarital affair could have been kept under wraps a few more days he would be Speaker of the House. To me, the fact that he dropped out so abruptly is proof positive there is fire where there is smoke. The Family Values party?

Old 10-10-2015, 06:17 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
So you're saying people shouldn't have a right to differences of opinion; they should all lock step with each other, like i suppose you think the Democrats do?

I'm glad they are taking the time to find someone that can do the job properly. If it carries on for months, yes, I would have a problem with it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:48 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So you're saying people shouldn't have a right to differences of opinion; they should all lock step with each other, like i suppose you think the Democrats do?

I'm glad they are taking the time to find someone that can do the job properly. If it carries on for months, yes, I would have a problem with it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
These people aren't all strangers. They've been working together since the last election. Their abilities to "do the job properly" should haven been known long ago.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:05 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

John Boehner's here to stay, for now, with nothing to lose - US News

I've always thought Boehners job was tough as heck, this latest fiasco shows just how tough. They are discovering that its one thing to say extremist sort of things to get elected, but that a significant percentage of those that get elected are in fact as extreme as they claim.

This is how Republics fail.

So, I can't cheer this on. Republicans need to get their act together, and represent. they need to compromise-not just with the other party, but even among themselves. Compromise isnt some betrayal, its how you represent a diverse electorate. Yes you should do your best, and get results that represent your stated positions. But you shouldn't do that at the cost of leading.
"Looks like the Republicans are so inept that they can't even manage to elect their own speaker."

Do you want to bet that they DON'T elect one?

ANY repub is better then Pelosi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies