Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:58 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
my 2 cents...why did the cops escalate this to the point of stopping and asking for ID. Sure they can but why do they need to? They could just tell her to get on the sidewalk and be done with it. I am a white male and I have been told by cops many times to move from somewhere, disperse from an event, leave a park, etc and I have never been asked for ID. So while i don't think the cops are wrong, I don't think they are completely right either. If that was a white middle aged soccer mom, I wonder if they would have went to this extent for something as minor as walking in the street.
Do you remember Michael Brown at the start of Ferguson. He was told to get on the sidewalk and refused and look what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 01:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There was no reason to ask for her name and date of birth and then call it in to dispatch for a background check.
It is an abuse of power to detain a pedestrian and call in for a background check when they are not suspected in any crime.

Her only embellishment was that they sounded their siren - but she had earbuds on an some sound made her turn around. The police concede they turned on their emergency lights.
Did you read the article, holmes?
"Walthall said the officers were correct to ask for identification because Bland had committed a Class C misdemeanor by impeding traffic."

But anyway, a dean of a school, walking in the middle of the street like some hoodrat idiot? Good Lord.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
What's most disturbing to me is that Bland's "op-ed" in the Dallas Morning News involves multiple ethical and procedural violations of rules that are taught to first year journalism students.
She owes an apologiy to the police involved, a retraction to the readers of her story and most of all her resignation as Dean. UNT journalism students deserve better leadership.
Affirmative Action, in action.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
I'm a white male and I have been asked those exact same questions by police. It didn't bother me in the least. I wasn't flapping my arms and walking down the middle of the street either. If I came upon someone acting like that I would be thinking WTF is that about.
The cops did nothing wrong. They were polite and professional. Me thinks the good prof was looking for a problem or at least used a non-issue to create a media event.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
There was no reason to ask for her name and date of birth and then call it in to dispatch for a background check.
It is an abuse of power to detain a pedestrian and call in for a background check when they are not suspected in any crime.

Her only embellishment was that they sounded their siren - but she had earbuds on an some sound made her turn around. The police concede they turned on their emergency lights.
did you bother to read the article BEFORE going off half cocked and making asinine allegations?

I doubt it.

From the article, "But dashcam video provided by Corinth Police shows Bland walking in the middle of the street, and captures the two police officers politely advising her to stay on the side of oncoming traffic, so she can see approaching cars. After viewing the footage, Corinth Police Chief Debra Walthall told FoxNews.com she was proud of the way her officers behaved. “When I saw the video, those officers were nothing but professional,†she said. “[The incident] just didn’t lend itself to racial profiling.
“If we didn’t have the video, these officers would have serious allegations against them," Walthall added. "It would be their word against hers. Every white officer that stops an African-American does not constitute racial profiling.â€

Old 11-06-2015, 02:24 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
That is not a valid reason to call dispatch and run their name against criminal databases.
"That is not a valid reason to call dispatch and run their name against criminal databases"

Of course it is. EVEY time a police officer stops someone they CHECK the data base.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, evaluate.

El Nox

Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i wonder if bland is beginning to have second thoughts about making this non-incident front page news?

another SJW backfire.
No she is not. No consequences and who cares what whitey thinks ... and when you read what her supporters write, we have another black race hustler who this time is female (my apologies to Al Sharpton's truthful daughter).

El Nox

Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
my 2 cents........<snip>....*If that was a white middle aged soccer mom, I wonder if they would have went to this extent for something as minor as walking in the street.
Approaching her from behind, she's pretty bundled up. Hard to tell if she's a white soccer mom, a black female dean of journalism, or a retired Asian. So yeah, I'm thinkin they would have (& should have) stopped this pedestrian regardless. Even if you say her hands were exposed - flapping her arms like that isn't exactly going to help in identifying her skin color, race, nationality, or gender. She was stopped for being a pedestrian who had put herself in harm's way & was impeding traffic while doing so.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Jay walking is a very serious crime in the right wing police state of Texas.

LiveLeak.com - Texas Police Violently Arrest Men for Jaywalking

Jeremy Kingg, one of the three arrested, told ATTN: that the group was uncertain if they were allowed to cross the street at about 2:30 a.m. and called out to Austin police officers who were standing nearby. When the officers didn't respond, they proceeded to cross.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies