Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 AM

88,970 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Regarding states' high-risk insurance pools available LONG before Obamacare...
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
"Many offer options with individual deductibles of $5,000–$10,000"
And that's different from Obamacare how?

Many Say High Deductibles Make Their Obamacare Insurance Useless
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...less.html?_r=0

Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect. Medicaid is a different federal government welfare program. I'm specifically talking about the states' high-risk insurance pools:

States Risk Pools
The fact is that the uninsured rate has dropped dramatically -- but you don't like to admit that the ACA was successful. So, you have to redefine so that you end up being right.

Reminds me of what Orwell wrote, "The point is that we are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield."

Old 01-07-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The fact is that the uninsured rate has dropped dramatically
Again... stop believing deliberately deceptive lies, and look at the facts...

Quote:
"The RAND study estimates 11.2 million Americans are insured through new state and federal marketplaces created under the Affordable Care Act, including 4.1 million who are newly covered and 7.1 million people who transitioned to marketplace plans from another source of coverage.

In addition, among the 12.6 million Americans newly enrolled in Medicaid, 6.5 million were previously uninsured and 6.1 million were previously insured."
Health Coverage Grows Under Affordable Care Act | RAND

So, what Obamacare did was newly insure only 4.1 million people on plans for which they pay (with many of them getting subsidies), while removing 6.1 million from paid insurance plans and placing them on Medicaid (for which they don't pay). It's a net LOSS of those paying into the system to spread the expense and make insurance more affordable for all. That's why those who have it are complaining they can't afford to use it. Read the CNN and NY Times links I posted.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Regarding states' high-risk insurance pools available LONG before Obamacare...And that's different from Obamacare how?

Regarding deductibles, it's no different than pre-Obamacare. If one wants lower deductibles, you get a more expensive plan that has lower deductibles. If you want cheaper premiums, you get a high deductible plan.

What Obamacare did do was eliminate junk policies -- policies that were sold to people who thought they were getting good but cheap coverage but actually didn't provide much coverage at all. It also provided subsidies to those who couldn't afford high premiums. Do state risk pools subsidize the insurance?

Last edited by MTAtech; 01-07-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
There is no requirement to have "government insurance" prior to applying for SSA disability. Medicare and Medicaid are government provided insurance.
Who said anything about "requirement"?
Quote:
Social Security disability is a program for people who cannot work due to a disability.
no ****, hence the qualification for medicaid
Quote:
Private insurance is no stranger to fraud and abuse and Medicare and Medicaid have lower costs than private insurance. It would be far better in America if we had Medicare for all.
Actually medicare and medicaid contract out their costs to the private insurance section of society..

Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Regarding deductibles, it's no different than pre-Obamacare.
Exactly... Insurance for those with pre-existing conditions was available LONG before Obamacare with those same high Obamacare deductibles. That is a problem Obamacare failed to fix.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Regarding states' high-risk insurance pools available LONG before Obamacare...And that's different from Obamacare how?

There is no doubt that many people on Obamacare are facing a high deductible on one end, although with lower monthly premium costs. As the example given in one of my links:

"The online health insurance marketplaces can't open soon enough for Chris and Kristi Petersen. Enrolled in the Iowa high-risk insurance pool because insurers on the private market won't cover them, the couple pays more than $1,300 each month for a plan with a $2,500 annual deductible and a 20 percent copay for medical services. It's more than they can afford."

The 'high risk' health insurance pools were very expensive, both in monthly premiums and with high deductibles. What use was a 'high risk' pool if the person that most needed it, could not afford it?

I imagine, as time goes by, the deductibles will come down. Congress must make some changes (such as the part mandating that insurance cover 'women issues' for males).

Old 01-07-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I am not sure of the meaning of your first sentence: "With social security disability, she would have had government insurance previously, and then chose to make use of the ER".

You may have been thinking that, if she were 'insured' for disability insurance benefits under Title II of the Social Security Act, then it may be safely assumed that she had worked previously, and perhaps had insurance through her employer.

I do not recall if she was insured for Title II benefits, or if she filed under Title XVI for supplemental security income benefits (as well as Medicare), or both.

Regardless, she did not have 'government insurance' (I assume you mean Medicare or Medicaid) prior to filing for disability. Hence, the ER visits.

As for your second sentence, Texas did not expand Medicaid coverage. I do not think that those who begin receiving Medicaid coverage increase their visits to the ER. I am not sure where you got that idea. It can be a problem, of course, for those whom live in an area where most doctors do not accept Medicaid patients.

Your encompassing third sentence certainly did not apply to my one example. The woman in question began to see a medical doctor at a private clinic, and then not return to the ER (although she may have if she were in crisis and the clinic was closed).

Nevertheless, I agree that many of those who have no health insurance of any type 'don't care' about the expense, to taxpayers, of going to the county emergency room.
People who are disabled, and received SSD, receive welfare pretty much automatically..

So she had welfare previously at the taxpayers expense, and thus moving her to PRIVATE insurance, under Obamacare, somehow encouraged her to be "responsible" with her medical treatment, hence the synopsis is PRIVATE CARE is better..

Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe Obama will just sign it this time

And people wonder why people support Trump.....

I don't know if its number 56, but there had been over 30 last year this time, so its close enough.

In 1999, during his short-lived 2000 Reform Party presidential bid, Trump told CNN's Larry King: "If you can’t take care of your sick in the country, forget it, it’s all over. ... I believe in universal healthcare."

And in his 2000 book "The America We Deserve," Trump made a strong pitch for universal health care. As to how the country might achieve universal coverage, Trump focused on a Canadian-style, single-payer plan.

"As far as single-payer and all — there’s so many different things you could have. Honestly, Sean, to do, to have great health insurance. The one thing I do tell people, we’re going to have something great. We’re going to repeal and replace Obamacare, which is a total disaster."

Donald Trump wants to replace Obamacare with a single-payer health care system, GOP congressman says | PolitiFact Wisconsin

Replace it with what? He seems to be a big fan of single-payer healthcare, even today.

I don't trust a single thing that comes out of The Donald's mouth.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
There is no doubt that many people on Obamacare are facing a high deductible on one end, although with lower monthly premium costs. As the example given in one of my links:

"The online health insurance marketplaces can't open soon enough for Chris and Kristi Petersen. Enrolled in the Iowa high-risk insurance pool because insurers on the private market won't cover them, the couple pays more than $1,300 each month for a plan with a $2,500 annual deductible and a 20 percent copay for medical services. It's more than they can afford."

The 'high risk' health insurance pools were very expensive, both in monthly premiums and with high deductibles. What use was a 'high risk' pool if the person that most needed it, could not afford it?

I imagine, as time goes by, the deductibles will come down. Congress must make some changes (such as the part mandating that insurance cover 'women issues' for males).
ACA was passed using the reason that people who had "junk policies" couldnt afford their deductibles, so creating new policies with even higher deductibles should be frowned upon by the left, not celebrated..

Remember all of those people whining they couldnt afford $6 in birth control costs? But now suddenly $2500 is affordable..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies