Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 06:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Before this thread gets shut down, I have to chime in. Bill Clinton is 100% correct in his statement. Black lives only seem to really matter when a white person kills one of them. Otherwise, it is business as usual in the hood. All of us know it and so do blacks.
Photos of charged Baltimore police officers released | Reuters.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You've obviously have been brainwashed by corporate media.

There are plenty of resources out there to get balanced information about whats going on.

Some people believe everything they hear and read and never think and research for themselves. You are writing from the same thinking of people who opposed Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. And the civil rights movement. Its understandable but not respectable.

I know you are smarter than your posts read but you and so many are lazy and basically gullible when it comes to your ideas and emotional writings.
I'm lazy? Why is that? Because I think people need to take personal responsibility for their actions and own their situations? MLK would be disgusted by BLM. He would be even more disgusted by the genocide going on in the black community and the fact that they refuse to acknowledge reality and do something about it. You can only blame the past for so long before the past becomes your future.

You really need to stop watching MSNBC.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:04 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
You've obviously have been brainwashed by corporate media.

There are plenty of resources out there to get balanced information about whats going on.

Some people believe everything they hear and read and never think and research for themselves. You are writing from the same thinking of people who opposed Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. And the civil rights movement. Its understandable but not respectable.

I know you are smarter than your posts read but you and so many are lazy and basically gullible when it comes to your ideas and emotional writings.
I agree with much of what you've identified as problematic here.

Granted, waking up Americans would be far easier if the focus was on 'Aesthetics' (waking up or sparking Humanity's inherent creativity & critical thinking skills) rather than by focusing on the 'ANESTHETIC' (political marketing strategies resulting in mind numbing 'divide & conquer' techniques).

Folks have the tendency to remember the results or natural outcomes of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s civil rights movement & conveniently forget (comfortably numb) the chaos of his time.

We are by nature a species that is averse to risk & loss. Often we make decisions on the basis of what we are too worried about losing, rather than on the basis of what we might gain.

Although I tend to think this is quite natural, it makes it more likely to accept the status quo, even as it slowly deteriorates, than to call for critical/creative thought by focusing on problem solving strategies, including determining underlying or root causes. Unfortunately this all seems to lead to a procrastination of sorts.

Quote:
We are more apt to endure the status quo, even as it slowly deteriorates, than we are to call for “radical” change. Regrettably, however, when the call for change comes, it often requires a far greater upheaval to make the necessary transformations, or, on occasion, the situation has deteriorated beyond the point of no return. In those situations we find ourselves wondering why we waited so long before doing something.
~Facione, PA, “Critical Thinking: What It is and Why it Counts” 2011 update Page 18
The post you were responding to seemed to suggest a more "constructive, coherent message" would be more likely to rationally persuade. With this part I can find some or partial agreement. Although the same kinds of criticism were also made about Dr. King's movement. & also made about the Occupy Movement. So too folks will make claims about the Black Lives Matter Movement. Personally, I think the Movement has an important & timely message. They are confronting those (including politicians) who sometimes have the habit of saying what is 'convenient' politically, however fail to carry through possibly because too 'inconvenient.'

Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I'm lazy? Why is that? Because I think people need to take personal responsibility for their actions and own their situations? MLK would be disgusted by BLM. He would be even more disgusted by the genocide going on in the black community and the fact that they refuse to acknowledge reality and do something about it. You can only blame the past for so long before the past becomes your future.

You really need to stop watching MSNBC.
I think you know what the term lazy means. I agree people need to take responsibility for their actions including thug police officers. How do you know that MLK would be discusted by BLM? He made it clear what he stood for and they are in line with the objectives of the BLM movement. Any sane person is not going to uphold wrong doing of the Black community, White community or any other community. I know I dont and neither should you. Who's blaming the past? There is clearly a pattern of white officers hired to police the Black community who shouldn't be there. This has gone on in the past and is happening now. BLM is putting a stop to it from happening in the future.

I don't believe the protesters should be disrupting Clinton political rally because the issue has already been addressed. All the candidates has told us what they are about and its left up to us to vote. They need to be digging into the legislative process and making sure we have decent candidates to enter into politics over the next 4 to 8 years.

This is not an attempt to bash you personally. I do think people need to dig in a little deeper to form opinions on things outside their bubble.

BTW I hate MSNBC. They are a liberal piece of garbage station just like Fox is trash as well.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I agree with much of what you've identified as problematic here.

Granted, waking up Americans would be far easier if the focus was on 'Aesthetics' (waking up or sparking Humanity's inherent creativity & critical thinking skills) rather than by focusing on the 'ANESTHETIC' (political marketing strategies resulting in mind numbing 'divide & conquer' techniques).

Folks have the tendency to remember the results or natural outcomes of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s civil rights movement & conveniently forget (comfortably numb) the chaos of his time.

We are by nature a species that is averse to risk & loss. Often we make decisions on the basis of what we are too worried about losing, rather than on the basis of what we might gain.

Although I tend to think this is quite natural, it makes it more likely to accept the status quo, even as it slowly deteriorates, than to call for critical/creative thought by focusing on problem solving strategies, including determining underlying or root causes. Unfortunately this all seems to lead to a procrastination of sorts.

The post you were responding to seemed to suggest a more "constructive, coherent message" would be more likely to rationally persuade. With this part I can find some or partial agreement. Although the same kinds of criticism were also made about Dr. King's movement. & also made about the Occupy Movement. So too folks will make claims about the Black Lives Matter Movement. Personally, I think the Movement has an important & timely message. They are confronting those (including politicians) who sometimes have the habit of saying what is 'convenient' politically, however fail to carry through possibly because too 'inconvenient.'
Well written.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:38 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Minneapolis cops killed a piece of trash named Jamar Clark a while back. He was absolutely beating the snot out of a woman when they were called. He had a long criminal history, never did anything positive in his life. He tried to grab a gun from the cops and the struggle that ensued ended with him getting shot. But BLM says it was wrongful.

This is why they are insignificant and have no credibility.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Minneapolis cops killed a piece of trash named Jamar Clark a while back. He was absolutely beating the snot out of a woman when they were called. He had a long criminal history, never did anything positive in his life. He tried to grab a gun from the cops and the struggle that ensued ended with him getting shot. But BLM says it was wrongful.

Is that what happened? Or are you going by what you've been taught?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

The only video available shows him in handcuffs. If the police were wearing body cams (as all soon will be) there would have been no conflicts on testimonies.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Well written.
Thanks for reading! More musings ...

Sometimes I wonder about protest movements in general. Even if one doesn't agree with the messages, isn't it a 'good thing' they exist? As Americans, we demonstrate through peaceful assembly & protest.

Granted, it would be best if no one was ever harmed by or during protest activities. In general, life is more chaotic than most folks feel comfortable admitting. Even an organized peaceful protest has limitations, in other words, some things are beyond anyone's control. Life, while imitating Art, imitates Protest Movements too.

& if everyone were perfectly satisfied with the status quo, there would be no need to protest; in reality, people's perceptions & conditions experienced do not reflect complacency.

Sometimes I also consider the larger society's reactions to protest movements. Dr. Martin Luther King was arrested on a charge of parading without a permit. While jailed, he composed a letter addressed to fellow clergymen who deplored the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. They had asked of him questions like, "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?"

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Article...irmingham.html

I guess what I'm trying to get at (albeit feebly) is there often seems to be a 'resistance movement' in response to a protest movement.

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 04-10-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Thanks for reading! More musings ...

Sometimes I wonder about protest movements in general. Even if one doesn't agree with the messages, isn't it a 'good thing' they exist? As Americans, we demonstrate through peaceful assembly & protest.

Granted, it would be best if no one was ever harmed by or during protest activities. In general, life is more chaotic than most folks feel comfortable admitting. Even an organized peaceful protest has limitations, in other words, some things are beyond anyone's control. Life, while imitating Art, imitates Protest Movements too.

& if everyone were perfectly satisfied with the status quo, there would be no need to protest; in reality, people's perceptions & conditions experienced do not reflect complacency.

Sometimes I also consider the larger society's reactions to protest movements. Dr. Martin Luther King was arrested on a charge of parading without a permit. While jailed, he composed a letter addressed to fellow clergymen who deplored the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. They had asked of him questions like, "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?"

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Article...irmingham.html

I guess what I'm trying to get at (albeit feebly) is there often seems to be a 'resistance movement' in response to a protest movement.
We all want a perfect world that doesn't exists. Everyone wants to be treated fair and should want the same for their fellow human.

There is nothing wrong with people disliking bad treatment by police officers. There is something wrong with hate and not having compassion.

People are stuck on this black white liberal conservative and we fail to realize that we are all human and want to be treated right. The powers that be want us to be at each other and we are falling for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies