Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What does the fact that you can't pay $20 to produce something and sell it for $15 and stay in business have to do with being a globalist?

It's math not politics.
If you cannot hire locals then you must hire foreigners overseas.

Quote:
Globalist: a person advocating or practicing operations across national divisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Child labor or exploitation of children was forbidden by law. Years later it seems normal not to exploit children. Henry Ford was very much like me, but not all employers are like that. The 40 hour work week was eventually mandated.

Once time passes by the six week vacation will seem to be quite normal.
When you were an employer, did you give your employees 6 weeks of paid vacation a year?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you were an employer, did you give your employees 6 weeks of paid vacation a year?
Vacation time was never discussed because they were two part time employees. Each employee was paid for three days a week. I did not count the hours as long as the work was done. On some days they were done in 3-4 hours, but I always paid for a full day of work.

If they needed time off I kept them on the payroll. Honestly, I don't know how much time off they took, but it was not a lot because they were extreme hard workers and fiercely loyal and dedicated. It was a blessing to have that kind of workers with ZERO worries. It was OK for me to have a bit less of profit and I felt they should be well compensated.

You guys fail to understand how productive workers are when they are well compensated.

This only lasted a few years and it was an anomaly for me to have employees. I like simplicity and little paperwork. I deducted all the taxes and did the payroll by myself, that was a pain in the arse. I did not provide health insurance because they were covered by their husbands who were employed full time.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:57 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Yes. It's time to join the rest of the developed world.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:58 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yes. It's time to join the rest of the developed world.
Can you define "developed world"? As in who is in it and what qualifies entry? Thanks.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No. You aren't entitled to money for sitting at home...unless your employer thinks you are.
EXACTLY! If you don't want a job that doesn't offer vacation pay then don't apply.

I think people who care more about getting paid for doing nothing than being paid for doing something... should seek asylum in Greece. They only work 30 weeks a year there, but of course unemployment is also 35%. But, you should still show some spirit and at least try for a free ride.

Fly little bird, fly fly away

Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
EXACTLY! If you don't want a job that doesn't offer vacation pay then don't apply.

I think people who care more about getting paid for doing nothing than being paid for doing something... should seek asylum in Greece. They only work 30 weeks a year there, but of course unemployment is also 35%. But, you should still show some spirit and at least try for a free ride.

Fly little bird, fly fly away
Greece is just the beginning. We Americans are also in debt!

And the work week will continue to shrink. I envision a 20 hour week in the next 20-30 years. And even with a short week unemployment will continue to grow due to automation.

What a dilemma for those right wingers that still live in the 19th century!!!!!

And guess what? We already have people that get paid for doing nothing. It will get worse!

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/e1/ud...=4313923803001

Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
If you cannot hire locals then you must hire foreigners overseas.
Stop withe your emotional reactions and tell me where I said that I support globalism.

If anything, you appear to support globalism. Steve Jobs wanted to keep his production for iPhones over here in the US. He didn't take it to Chaina because of the cost of labor. The iPhone isn't really a commodity product, people believe it to be unique and will pay double or triple the cost over other smart phones for it. Two big reasons for moving where worker flexibility and less overbearing regulations.

When you have government piling up regulations on employers and making it difficult to be responsive to the market, employers will go elsewhere to escape unnecessary restrictions.

Go ahead and keep encouraging employers to move overseas as you call me a globalist.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Stop withe your emotional reactions and tell me where I said that I support globalism.

If anything, you appear to support globalism. Steve Jobs wanted to keep his production for iPhones over here in the US. He didn't take it to Chaina because of the cost of labor. The iPhone isn't really a commodity product, people believe it to be unique and will pay double or triple the cost over other smart phones for it. Two big reasons for moving where worker flexibility and less overbearing regulations.

When you have government piling up regulations on employers and making it difficult to be responsive to the market, employers will go elsewhere to escape unnecessary restrictions.

Go ahead and keep encouraging employers to move overseas as you call me a globalist.
Nice technique! You are cornered in an argument and now concentrate on the issue of globalism. Who cares if you are a globalist or not.

You failed to answer the employer-employee relationship with regards to profit margin. A great part of the profit is actually the productivity the worker gives for free to the employer.

BTW, part of capitalism is to give people the illusion folks need something they don't actually need. I don't have issues with that.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
BTW, part of capitalism is to give people the illusion folks need something they don't actually need. I don't have issues with that.
That has nothing to do with capitalism. That's marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies