Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Interesting enough, the ACLU strongly disagrees with you.
https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-relea...e-body-cameras
(Partly because _everyone_ inside their own residence, not just a minor, is a privacy issue, but also because they are generally opposed to filming of the public by the government.)
It says the determination if the video was released is determined on whether or not a crime happened.

If they want to delete everyday general run of the mill workings, few will care and that is not what is being questioned.

Help an old lady across the street? No one cares. Beat an old lady for jaywalking? Citizens have a right to see what transpired.

The ACLU is saying the same.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:22 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Detroit is better today? No and it's not going to get better .

ever, as all cities in its economic dire straits will also not get better, until we start seeing demographics of lifestyle choices (nuclear family rates, college grad rates, lack of substance abuse) in urban dead economic zones mirror their successful suburbs.

The path out of poverty is via brain cells, not fists, knives, or guns.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
It says the determination if the video was released is determined on whether or not a crime happened.

If they want to delete everyday general run of the mill workings, few will care and that is not what is being questioned.

Help an old lady across the street? No one cares. Beat an old lady for jaywalking? Citizens have a right to see what transpired.

The ACLU is saying the same.
It doesn't make the determination that way. Under the ACLU policy, videos are closed records that can only be requested by the subjects of the video not the general public and are only open on the request of a subject of the video and only if the video shows a felony or use of force. (If the subject of the video requests it be closed, it remains closed.)

The ACLU policy also states that only videos showing a felony or use of force can be retained longer than six months, and only for three years. And any interactions that did not involve an investigation or response to a call would be immediately deleted (under section t, it must be deleted immediately if recorded) or not recorded at all regardless of use of force.

Traffic ticket? Ordinance citation? Misdemeanor? Deleted after six months and never can be released to the public. (In fact, no one can ever view those videos. Not the public, not the subjects of the videos, nor any police officers.)

Also realize that correctional officials and public security officers would never be required nor even allowed to wear body cameras under the ACLU policy despite their authority to conduct searches (because they cannot make arrests).

Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It doesn't make the determination that way. Under the ACLU policy, videos are closed records that can only be requested by the subjects of the video not the general public and are only open on the request of a subject of the video and only if the video shows a felony or use of force. (If the subject of the video requests it be closed, it remains closed.)
It says no such thing. That's what the N.C. law stated and those who passed that deserve to have it shoved down their throats.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Then if you're going to be honest you need to acknowledge that these riots/race wars that are heating up will not turn out well for EITHER side. This WILL get ugly if it keeps going.

If you and others are ok with bodies littering the streets and hospitals to maybe make a point as it seems from the posts on here then y'all also have to accept the blood of those people will be on your hands.
I just hope/expect that those who're advocating violence aren't just cheering from the sidelines. If you're cheering I hope y'all have the intestinal fortitude/belief in your convictions to put your own butts/safety on the line.

I remember stories my dad used to tell me about being a young man growing up around Detroit. he worked for a jeweler/watch maker during the 1940's Detroit riots. He used to pick up/deliver stuff and he carried a pistol. When he got downtown he said he'd get approached by a group of rioters and he ended up having to lay his hand with the pistol in it on the dash just to get back to the shop.

Do we REALLY want to get back to those days? They didn't seem to turn out all that well did they?
Well, riots never turn out well but they make a point. As for a race war, there's no such thing going on. Only the far fringes of society believe this...

Old 08-19-2016, 12:59 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Well, riots never turn out well but they make a point. ...

The point they make is do not invest here. Let this city rot, along with its people.

Very few cities ever return to pre riot economic power.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
It says no such thing. That's what the N.C. law stated and those who passed that deserve to have it shoved down their throats.
Look at the intersection of the different pieces
=======
i. Body camera video footage shall be retained by the law enforcement agency that employs the officer whose camera captured the footage, or an authorized agent thereof, for six (6) months from the date it was recorded, after which time such footage shall be permanently deleted.
j. Notwithstanding the retention and deletion requirements in subsection (i):
1. Video footage shall be automatically retained for no less than three (3) years if the video footage captures images involving:
A. Any use of force;
B. Events leading up to and including an arrest for a felony-level offense, or events that constitute a felony-level offense; or
C. An encounter about which a complaint has been registered by a subject of the video footage.
2. Body camera video footage shall also be retained for no less than three (3) years if a longer retention period is voluntarily requested by: (subjects of video for all sections)
l. The following video footage shall be exempt from the public inspection requirements of the [NAME OF STATE OPEN RECORDS ACT/FOIA LAW]:
1. Video footage not subject to a minimum three (3) year retention period pursuant to subsection (j);
2. Video footage that is subject to a minimum three (3) year retention period solely and exclusively pursuant to subsection (j)(1)(C), where the subject of the video footage making the complaint requests the video footage not be made available to the public;
3. Video footage that is subject to a minimum three (3) year retention period solely and exclusively pursuant to subsection (j)(2)(A), (j)(2)(B), (j)(2)(C) or (j)(2)(D); and
4. Video footage that is subject to a minimum three (3) year retention period solely and exclusively pursuant to subsection (j)(2)(E), (j)(2)(F), or (j)(2)(G), where the person making the voluntary request requests the video footage not be made available to the public.

=======
So, any video that is not subject to the 3 year retention is automatically closed. Any video subject to the 3 year where the subject of the video does not request it to be open, is closed. Any video subject to 3 years because a subject requested it be retained, is closed.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:51 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Well, riots never turn out well but they make a point. As for a race war, there's no such thing going on. Only the far fringes of society believe this...
On the bold: drama queens will be drama queens.

I agree with the rest of your post as well, after all, we are in reputable company, including Malcolm X & others & in Dr. King's eloquent words:

"...Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. I'm still convinced that nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to oppressed people in their struggle for freedom and justice. I feel that violence will only create more social problems than they will solve. That in a real sense it is impracticable for the Negro to even think of mounting a violent revolution in the United States. So I will continue to condemn riots, and continue to say to my brothers and sisters that this is not the way. And continue to affirm that there is another way.

But at the same time, it is as necessary for me to be as vigorous in condemning the conditions which cause persons to feel that they must engage in riotous activities as it is for me to condemn riots. I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots.. ..."

Veterans of the Civil Rights Movement -- The Other America

Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Oh really? Then please explain statements made in Milwaukee and other riots about finding and assaulting whites?

How about comments made outside the GOP convention by BLM?

Sorry, your assertion rings a bit hollow as the rhetoric constantly blaming "white America" over the last several months from many black "experts" and "representatives" or "activists" says otherwise.

Maybe they're just using hyperbole and maybe not but the optics are what they are...

Old 08-19-2016, 08:19 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
This is what I see. The riots will get everyone's attention. It will get noticed. It will also get people thrown in prison. Little change comes from riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies