Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 10:29 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

This is fairly simple to understand. Do you think companies would rather hire illegal immigrants and pay them under the table, or hire Americans and have to deal with insurance, and pay them a legal wage?

It's not that Americans don't want these jobs, it's that Americans can't get these jobs.

The roof was just replaced on my apartment complex. All of the workers were Hispanic. No idea of their immigration status, but I'd imagine that Hispanic workers are cheaper to hire, might work harder, and don't need insurance like most Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This is fairly simple to understand. Do you think companies would rather hire illegal immigrants and pay them under the table, or hire Americans and have to deal with insurance, and pay them a legal wage?

It's not that Americans don't want these jobs, it's that Americans can't get these jobs.

The roof was just replaced on my apartment complex. All of the workers were Hispanic. No idea of their immigration status, but I'd imagine that Hispanic workers are cheaper to hire, might work harder, and don't need insurance like most Americans.
Hispanics work harder......sure if you are comparing them to minimum wage workers.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

At least half aren't paid under the table since they are using stolen documents. They are technically "legal" employees. Certain trades rely on day labor and classify the workers as "independent contractors". When we had the house remodeled I asked the general contractor about his employees. He made it clear if I wanted the work done to just forget about legal Americans doing all the work. He relied on subcontractors and his policy was "don't ask, don't tell".

California sucks at enforcing labor laws.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
At least half aren't paid under the table since they are using stolen documents. They are technically "legal" employees. Certain trades rely on day labor and classify the workers as "independent contractors". When we had the house remodeled I asked the general contractor about his employees. He made it clear if I wanted the work done to just forget about legal Americans doing all the work. He relied on subcontractors and his policy was "don't ask, don't tell".

California sucks at enforcing labor laws.

There are no laws restricting anyone from hiring a foreign business to contract or subcontract...
Just say'n

That is how they get around it.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are no laws restricting anyone from hiring a foreign business to contract or subcontract...
Just say'n

That is how they get around it.

Actually there are if the workers are physically present in the United States.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
biggest running lie in all of the world, nobody is doing jobs that others won't do, there are plenty of hungry hard working people out there who would do ANY JOB, there's plenty of people sitting on the sidelines waiting to work, these jobs would be filled no problem.
This is true.

There is no such thing as "jobs Americans refuse to do".

Old 09-08-2016, 07:54 AM

863 posts, read 1,197,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true.

There is no such thing as "jobs Americans refuse to do".
Seeks like people who who embrace this sentiment have often never worked within the areas where it most applies. I spent 20 years in construction........concrete construction to be exact. It was hard, back breaking work. The last 5 years I spent working the trade (2000 - 2005) I bet we went through at least a dozen "white boys" a year. If we were lucky, 10 percent of them lasted more than 2 months. That, against a near 80 percent retention rate of our Latin American workers made hiring them a no brainer.

It wasn't because the money was bad, back in 2000, 14 bucks an hour to start with no knowledge was pretty good for the times but they wouldn't stay because the work was too hard. To survive, we started hiring illegals but they were hired legally. They had papers and they had SS#s. Sure, they were mostly fraudulent but the government never came knocking on the door to question anything.

Personally, I think a follow up never came because they were all having taxes taken from their checks and none that I knew ever tried to file a tax return for fear of discovery. Add that up across the board and it comes out to a huge pile of unclaimed money for the government.

As a side note, most of those folks left their home country not because of grandiose dreams of an America where the streets are paved with gold but because they were hungry and desperate. Getting out of their home country was no picnic either. Their own governments wouldn't give them exit visas unless they had a certain amount of material worth and could be fairly assured of their return.

Aside from being hard workers, those folks had something that most Americans don't, a sense of community. That enabled them to pool resources, move money around and buy houses in cities where urban blight was destroying neighborhoods.......by doing so, they in turn revitalized parts of cities that were thought lost and built their own enclaves.

Yes, illegals are a multifaceted problem but the situation is far more complicated than many people think.

Given a choice, we would have vastly preferred to hire American kids, the language problem made our jobs that much more difficult but the fact of the matter was: they were doing jobs that Americans refused to do.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Who did all these jobs before 1986 and the Green Card Act?

Were they not getting done?

Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Seeks like people who who embrace this sentiment have often never worked within the areas where it most applies. I spent 20 years in construction........concrete construction to be exact. It was hard, back breaking work. The last 5 years I spent working the trade (2000 - 2005) I bet we went through at least a dozen "white boys" a year. If we were lucky, 10 percent of them lasted more than 2 months. That, against a near 80 percent retention rate of our Latin American workers made hiring them a no brainer.

It wasn't because the money was bad, back in 2000, 14 bucks an hour to start with no knowledge was pretty good for the times but they wouldn't stay because the work was too hard. To survive, we started hiring illegals but they were hired legally. They had papers and they had SS#s. Sure, they were mostly fraudulent but the government never came knocking on the door to question anything.

Personally, I think a follow up never came because they were all having taxes taken from their checks and none that I knew ever tried to file a tax return for fear of discovery. Add that up across the board and it comes out to a huge pile of unclaimed money for the government.

As a side note, most of those folks left their home country not because of grandiose dreams of an America where the streets are paved with gold but because they were hungry and desperate. Getting out of their home country was no picnic either. Their own governments wouldn't give them exit visas unless they had a certain amount of material worth and could be fairly assured of their return.

Aside from being hard workers, those folks had something that most Americans don't, a sense of community. That enabled them to pool resources, move money around and buy houses in cities where urban blight was destroying neighborhoods.......by doing so, they in turn revitalized parts of cities that were thought lost and built their own enclaves.

Yes, illegals are a multifaceted problem but the situation is far more complicated than many people think.

Given a choice, we would have vastly preferred to hire American kids, the language problem made our jobs that much more difficult but the fact of the matter was: they were doing jobs that Americans refused to do.
What a crock! And business owners who knowingly hires illegal aliens should lose their licenses, have a heavy fine imposed on them and serve some jail time. It is people like you that allow illegal immigration to continue. I ain't buying the lazy American BS and there is no right to come here for economic gain and take jobs from Americans. Americans have families to feed also.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM

863 posts, read 1,197,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What a crock! And business owners who knowingly hires illegal aliens should lose their licenses, have a heavy fine imposed on them and serve some jail time. It is people like you that allow illegal immigration to continue. I ain't buying the lazy American BS and there is no right to come here for economic gain and take jobs from Americans. Americans have families to feed also.
Whether or not you "buy it" doesn't make it any less true. I lived it and watched it change over the years. We didn't necessarily like it but we had our livelihoods to protect........and BTW, I didn't own the company, I merely ran the field operations but even if it had been my company, I probably would have done the same thing. In our area, it was the industry standard. If you wanted to stay alive, you had no other choice.

The picture isn't as simple as you paint it to be no matter how much you wish it wasn't so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies