Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 02:35 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Well you have three choices:
The demand for healthcare related jobs is through the roof in this country.

The reason demand for healthcare jobs, insurance and so on is through the roof is because Big Business used government to force us to prop them up.

The Corporate Lobbyists that purchase politicians expect a hefty return on their investment in them.

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=i

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
So you are saying it is cheaper to make refrigerators in china?
Nope. You know what I said. Others seem to have been able to understand it. We could make low quality crap here for little profit also.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Actually

Being in that business, the cost of import fees, transportation adds cost to the product and any saving on labor is ate up in handling charges and tariffs.

Plus it takes 12 weeks from China plus port delays. as long as it take customs to process a container.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:38 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why did refrigerators once have 5 year warranties as standard while now only have 6 month warranties?

They were made cheap with cheap labor and very low profit until the competition was eliminated. Now they are just as expensive as better ones would be while still being poorly made.
The price point may not lie with the Chinese, for example, but the distributer instead.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Note: Cars are lasting far longer than in the past.
I'm talking about everything else you buy, from your appliances to your clothes, it's all cheap crap that doesn't last like they used to. Why do you think warranties have gotten shorter like you said in your thread? It's because they know it's going to break and they want you to buy a new one.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 PM

497 posts, read 428,513 times
So is it cheaper to build a fridge in China or not? If it is not cheaper, why are (some) fridges built in China? I am not following you.

Quote:
Nope. You know what I said. Others seem to have been able to understand it. We could make low quality crap here for little profit also.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Free trade benefits the consumer more than it can possibly benefit the worker because of;

Our goal must be a day when the free flow of trade, from the tip of Tierra del Fuego to the Arctic Circle, unites the people of the Western Hemisphere in a bond of mutually beneficial exchange[/b].’’[/color] Ronald Reagan
[/url]
This is one sided managed trade by Many Big Business.
In Capitalism and Free Trade, all parties must have a say in it, workers, business owners and citizens

The Workers have had no say in these Trade Agreements required under Capitalism

Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I'm talking about everything else you buy, from your appliances to your clothes, it's all cheap crap that doesn't last like they used to. Why do you think warranties have gotten shorter like you said in your thread? It's because they know it's going to break and they want you to buy a new one.
We can make cheap disposable crap here also. Or we once could until the manufacturing plants were run out of business.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
So is it cheaper to build a fridge in China or not? If it is not cheaper, why are (some) fridges built in China? I am not following you.
Yes you are. Everyone else is. I not into playing these games.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
This is one sided managed trade by Many Big Business.
In Capitalism and Free Trade, all parties must have a say in it, workers, business owners and citizens

The Workers have had no say in these Trade Agreements required under Capitalism
Yes they have.......they have had a say with their votes that they refuse to hold politicians accountable with. Yes, I realize this wasn't the point you are making but they most certainly have a way to have a say but refuse to exercise it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies