Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You can start by thinking, "What if my job was outsourced?" But of course those who have difficulty with this concept say to themselves, "My job can never be outsourced" so, seldom cross that bridge.
Ill find a new job, I am among the 40% of Americans who have an Associate's Degree or higher. If not, I will use my savings to go back to college and get a Bachelor's degree and open up even more opportunities. It's called picking oneself up by the bootstraps instead sitting around whining and hoping for Big Government Daddy Trump to come coddle me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Some trade deals might be bad for a small group of American workers - the ones that lose their jobs when the factories close or move overseas. However, for the vast majority of Americans these trade deals result in them paying significantly lower prices for almost every product that they purchase.

I personally don't want to spend extra money so factory workers in the Rust Belt can keep their jobs and overinflated paychecks. If an uneducated person living in a third world country can do your job, that should be a clear sign that you need to obtain more education and new job skills. If anyone is stupid enough to skip out on educating themselves and not prepare for careers that can't be done by third world peasants, they deserve little sympathy. Just because some people believe that Americans have a divine right to earn 60k a year putting cars together in a factory does not mean that other Americans need to pay for it.

You are aware that many plants have skilled trades and management aren't you ? A skilled tradesmen is the equivalent of a degreed person. Management have degree's, and some of the assembly line people do as well, since the job pays more than what their degree would get them.

Have you ever stepped inside a plant ? Have you ever done something extremely repetitive, no matter how simple, it gets old and isn't as easy as one thinks.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ this I don't understand why people cannot grasp this concept.

You must be a business owner, in a skilled trade or a trust fund baby. If not , I wonder if you will be singing the same tune when your job is offshored or outsourced.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have no loyalty to my company. Someone else offers me a better package I am gone in two weeks.
hmm okay, again, it is not just about you.
I've never worked for somebody, I am a trustfund baby. This thread has nothing to do with individual CD posters.

I think there are certain steps companies can take to maximize profit or minimize loss. Profits At High, Wages At Low - is not the right way to do it. Just my opinion.

Why are corporate profits so high? One reason is that companies are paying employees less than they ever have as a share of GDP. And that, in turn, is one reason the economy is so weak. (I said ONE reason. I didn't say the ONLY reason.)

Old 09-15-2016, 08:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have no loyalty to my company. Someone else offers me a better package I am gone in two weeks.
It's called At-Will Employment, legal in all states except Montana. Either the employee or employer may terminate employment for any legal or no reason.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 AM

The CONCEPT of free trade is good. I will admit that.

HOWEVER, here is always a big BUT

Freeing up trade does not “open new markets†as much as it enables giant, multinational corporations to become even more giant and more multinational – at the expense of smaller companies and the rest of us.

Economists say that free trade allows us to take advantage of the “comparative advantages†offered by other countries. Here’s the thing. Buying goods from low-wage and low-environmental protection countries means not making them here anymore. “Trade†increases, but so does our country’s trade deficit as imports rise and exports fall. Factories here close, people here get laid off, wage pressures here increase and overall demand in our economy decreases.

A healthy balance must be achieved somehow.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,573 times
If Mexicans have high IQ and work ethic like the Chinese, there will be virtually no job left in USA.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If Mexicans have high IQ and work ethic like the Chinese, there will be virtually no job left in USA.
I am not a big fan of Chinese work ethic. If we must generalize, Mexican work ethic is just as good, if not better, compare to other ethnic groups.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Ill find a new job, I am among the 40% of Americans who have an Associate's Degree or higher. If not, I will use my savings to go back to college and get a Bachelor's degree and open up even more opportunities. It's called picking oneself up by the bootstraps instead sitting around whining and hoping for Big Government Daddy Trump to come coddle me.
I rest my case padawan.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I remember almost having to do that in '07 when the auto industry took a dive. While sitting in a seminar put on by our state unemployment office the speaker rattled off a number of what some of these new careers started at. After hearing the number I was like, not too bad...I then asked the speaker if that figure was hourly...he laughed and said no yearly. I wasn't so excited then.

You seem to forget that many in the workforce today have been in it for a long time, back then you didn't need a piece of paper to ensure your employer that you could do the job. Many learned on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies