Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:44 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
hundreds of corporate representatives are advising the US negotiators and have advance access to the negotiating texts. While citizens are left in the dark, corporations are helping to write the rules for the FTAA.

How is that free trade? MANAGED trade is not FREE trade. 100% free trade doesn't exist in real world. It is highly controlled by global elite to benefit a few.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is the quintessential managed-trade vehicle sold under the rubric of free trade.
I believe that was the whole ideal from the start
To be managed by the top elite without the workers and citizens having any say in it.

David Rockefeller said as much years ago:

The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national autodetermination practiced in past centuries

What that means is trade and business should be managed by the elite rather than through Free Market Principles, Workers and Citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM

497 posts, read 428,440 times
To keep up with your fridge example, it seems that many of the low end fridges are still made in the US:
http://www.frigidaire.com/Built-with...Refrigerators/

Where as the same manufacturers higher end fridges are made overseas:
French Door Refrigerators - 23 to 28 Cu. Ft. Capacity | Frigidaire

Seems to contradict the point (I think) you are trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We can make cheap disposable crap here also. Or we once could until the manufacturing plants were run out of business.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:46 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Ford confirms small car production moving from US to Mexico - KTAR.com

...the company expects to make higher profits because of the lower wages in Mexico.
I've seen the assembly line in Youngstown, Ohio (GM). One of our 4-H members worked in the paint shop. He arranged a tour. I can tell you, those people don't do enough to earn the money that they do. He pushed buttons (by his own description) and many of the other line workers do too. Others simply hook up a few hoses or cable harnesses and such, and step back to wait for the next car. Takes them five minutes or less for each car. At that time (this was years ago) they were making about $40/hr plus benefits.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
To keep up with your fridge example, it seems that many of the low end fridges are still made in the US:
http://www.frigidaire.com/Built-with...Refrigerators/

Where as the same manufacturers higher end fridges are made overseas:
French Door Refrigerators - 23 to 28 Cu. Ft. Capacity | Frigidaire

Seems to contradict the point (I think) you are trying to make.
No it doesn't. Luckily some manufacturing has survived and those manufactured here are no more expensive than what is now being shipped from overseas.

They had to cut back on quality and gaurantee's to combat the efforts to put them out of business though.

Whether you choose a one, two, or three year Service Contract, we’ll pay for all covered repairs needed to keep your product in peak operating condition. And that means no surprises to your budget.

You now have to buy even a one year warranty where 5 years once was standard.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I've seen the assembly line in Youngstown, Ohio (GM). One of our 4-H members worked in the paint shop. He arranged a tour. I can tell you, those people don't do enough to earn the money that they do. He pushed buttons (by his own description) and many of the other line workers do too. Others simply hook up a few hoses or cable harnesses and such, and step back to wait for the next car. Takes them five minutes or less for each car. At that time (this was years ago) they were making about $40/hr plus benefits.
I make pretty decent money and on any certain day you would see me do little work in a 12 hour period. It took many years to be able to do that. If I'm doing nothing it means the company is making money. If I'm working manually, they are not because something has gone wrong.

I get paid for knowing how to quickly get things running as it's supposed to again.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How long before the demand of 95% of the world's population will dwarf the demand of 5% that reside in the US?
How will that work when everything is 400% more expensive here such as housing, food, insurance, medical and schooling, even infrastructure than it is in the rest of the world?

Your only seeing one side of the issue here.
There are a lot of people that would have to take a paycut for us to be like the other 95% of the world as well.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
We were actually making cheap disposable crap automobiles before Toyota and Honda came along. Ironically made in a nation that just a generation earlier was known for making cheap disposable crap.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Are not Communists the most nationalized and protective, the opposite of free market forces?
Name me any country any the world that does not have protective markets?
I guess they are all communist

I guess the Constitution that puts this country first is a Communist Document

Old 09-15-2016, 03:55 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Name me any country any the world that does not have protective markets?
I guess they are all communist

I guess the Constitution that puts this country first is a Communist Document
exactly

Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Mexico has more free trade agreements with the rest of the world than any other country.

It makes Mexico a very attractive spot for assembly and manufacture.
How do you propose to make food, education, medical, construction, real estate and so on cheap here like it is in Mexico?

If there are no protections, then what is stopping Joe Six Pack from being lowered down to Juan's wages in Mexico and you realize, Juan will have the better deal since everything is cheaper there?

The US will be the worse country to live in for the poor and dying middle class out of all other countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies