Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He picks a nominee , is this not correct ? The nominee then has to be approved...I get it.
Yes, that is correct. That is what was initially said and correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM

497 posts, read 428,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no way it's significantly cheaper to ship a refrigerator across an ocean from China than build one here. Even if an employee is replaced by a robot, someone has to be hired to maintain and program that robot.
Why would all those fridges be shipped from China if it were not cheaper? As for the robot, say it has to be programmed for a month once a year , and maybe maintained for a day once a month - that is 42 days of work. The robot can work 24hrs a day 7 days a week for the rest of the year - the equivalent for 4 full time positions. That is why we use robots.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Why would all those fridges be shipped from China if it were not cheaper? As for the robot, say it has to be programmed for a month once a year , and maybe maintained for a day once a month - that is 42 days of work. The robot can work 24hrs a day 7 days a week for the rest of the year - the equivalent for 4 full time positions. That is why we use robots.
I explained this earlier in the thread.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:12 PM

I am not seeing that. You mentioned a bunch of externalities earlier, but those are not costs per se.

Quote:
I explained this earlier in the thread.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:23 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Frankly, I would be more concerned about my job being replaced by technology than it being outsourced.
Technology does not exist in a vacuum. I rode Ben Franklin's trade for 40 years, and saw inovations all along the way. One needs to ride the wave. In my case for most of those years it was a learning experience and my income grew. Techonlogy doesn't appear out of thin air and it will not exist without human intervention in all levels of production. However, shipping one's career overseas, is another matter. I sort of felt that pain, sort of.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
I am not seeing that. You mentioned a bunch of externalities earlier, but those are not costs per se.
Why did refrigerators once have 5 year warranties as standard while now only have 6 month warranties?

They were made cheap with cheap labor and very low profit until the competition was eliminated. Now they are just as expensive as better ones would be while still being poorly made.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:28 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Why did refrigerators once have 5 year warranties as standard while now only have 6 month warranties?

They were made cheap with cheap labor and very low profit until the competition was eliminated. Now they are just as expensive as better ones would be while still being poorly made.
I've seen many examples of this. There is a pattern for sure.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:

Ever since our economy went to a consumption economy instead of manufacturing ALL of our basic products are engineered for planned obsolescence. If they lasted a long time we wouldn't need to buy new ones and the economy would suffer.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM

So you are saying it is cheaper to make refrigerators in china? It is not like the US made appliances have a longer warranty than their Chinese made equivalents.

Quote:

Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Ever since our economy went to a consumption economy instead of manufacturing ALL of our basic products are engineered for planned obsolescence. If they lasted a long time we wouldn't need to buy new ones and the economy would suffer.
Note: Cars are lasting far longer than in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies